What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On occasion when I click on a link in a piece of mail, instead of going to a regular safari (i.e. full screen) page, A narrow vertical band of safari slides out from the right and opens the page. I can find now way to control when this happens nor a way to enlarge this page. It’s very irritating and I wish the link would just open a regular sized safari. This small, vertical safari bar can also be opened by dragging left from the right side of the screen.

I find it very irritating and would prefer this not happing. Can I modify this behavior?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You’ve previously enabled Slide Over for Safari with mail. You need to take Safari out of that mode in the combo.

This may help. Searching for iPad multitasking in iPadOS 13 might give good answers too.
https://www.imore.com/how-use-slide-over-and-split-view-ipad-ios-11
Thanks for that link, though I think nuclear power plant instructions are simpler. ;) So I went into email, swept from right to left to expose safari, and then managed to sweep it off the top of the screen. We’ll see if that fixes it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This morning I turned on my iPad Pro and the screen was very dim. Barely readable. I checked the brightness settings and they were correct. So I turned it off and then back on. As it was turning off is could see it flash bright. When it came back on, all was well.

Did I just get a warning of impending shit hitting the fan?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This morning I turned on my iPad Pro and the screen was very dim. Barely readable. I checked the brightness settings and they were correct. So I turned it off and then back on. As it was turning off is could see it flash bright. When it came back on, all was well.

How old is your iPad, Johnny?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Dollars to donuts you accidentally turned on one of the accessibiilty featuers, like Reduce White Point. I use that nightly to super-dim the screen for reading in bed.
IMG_0077.png

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dollars to donuts you accidentally turned on one of the accessibiilty featuers, like Reduce White Point. I use that nightly to super-dim the screen for reading in bed.
View attachment 73667
I don't think so. I pushed the home button and the screen was dim. Settings wasn't open. So Reduce White Point drastically dims the screen?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't think so. I pushed the home button and the screen was dim. Settings wasn't open. So Reduce White Point drastically dims the screen?
Yes. I've got it set for triple-tap of the home button. I love it as a night-time feature.

It might be that the ipad went into that mode through a software glitch. Such things happen. Rebooting it cleared it back to normal.

In any case, I think it's a software thing and not a sign of impending doom.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My iPad Pro is a 2nd Gen 12.9 screen with OS version 13.5.1. I just discovered one of my felines chewed off the tip of my $100+ Apple Pencil. I do not intended to spend another $100 to replace it. I know there are after market pencils out there. Anyone have any experience with them and recommendations?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Would this work?

Yes, they would thank you.

However, I came back to write “never mind” but you beat me to it. In my searches on amazon I found replacement nibs. Then I thought, what if apple had provided one. I found the pencil box and there is a replacement nib and the cats hadn’t damaged what it screws on and it works.

I am happy to know that there’s a reasonable option from apple. When I click on that option it tells me it’s compatible with my ipad. It hadn’t occurred to me that apple would provide an inexpensive option since inexpensive and apple are usually mutually excessive terms.

Thanks again Ron.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, they would thank you.

However, I came back to write “never mind” but you beat me to it. In my searches on amazon I found replacement nibs. Then I thought, what if apple had provided one. I found the pencil box and there is a replacement nib and the cats hadn’t damaged what it screws on and it works.

I am happy to know that there’s a reasonable option from apple. When I click on that option it tells me it’s compatible with my ipad. It hadn’t occurred to me that apple would provide an inexpensive option since inexpensive and apple are usually mutually excessive terms.

Thanks again Ron.

Sure thing! I don't want to see you spend another $100+

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It may have been this thread, but not sure. With Adobe PS so expensive these days, there was a PS option being touted that worked on the ipad and iMac. Does anyone remember what software this was?

I have not upgraded to Oasis since there is a good chance PS CS6 won’t work on it. Maybe it’s time for me to have another app that will.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
It may have been this thread, but not sure. With Adobe PS so expensive these days, there was a PS option being touted that worked on the ipad and iMac. Does anyone remember what software this was?

I have not upgraded to Oasis since there is a good chance PS CS6 won’t work on it. Maybe it’s time for me to have another app that will.

There are several apps with the Adobe Photoshop branding: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop Express, Adobe Photoshop Fix, and Adobe Photoshop Mix. There is also Adobe Lightroom for iPad.

Many of these have in-app purchases or are tied to Adobe Photoshop or Creative Cloud membership.

Apple – Adobe, Inc. Apps on the App Store

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are several apps with the Adobe Photoshop branding: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop Express, Adobe Photoshop Fix, and Adobe Photoshop Mix. There is also Adobe Lightroom for iPad.

Many of these have in-app purchases or are tied to Adobe Photoshop or Creative Cloud membership.

Apple – Adobe, Inc. Apps on the App Store
Actually, I was looking for a non-Adobe app, something more reasonably priced. I think the app is Affnity. I did word that poorly referring to an “PS Option” when I should have said alternative.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Actually, I was looking for a non-Adobe app, something more reasonably priced. I think the app is Affnity.

The Affinity Photo site claims that Affinity Photo for iPad is "Completely reimagined for iPad with the same power as the desktop version and with complete file format compatibility." Both that page and the App Store description indicate that the app goes for a one-time price of $19.99.

The Mac and Windows versions go for a one-time price of $49.99 each. So you could buy the Mac and iPad versions for about $70 + tax.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Affinity Photo site claims that Affinity Photo for iPad is "Completely reimagined for iPad with the same power as the desktop version and with complete file format compatibility." Both that page and the App Store description indicate that the app goes for a one-time price of $19.99.

The Mac and Windows versions go for a one-time price of $49.99 each. So you could buy the Mac and iPad versions for about $70 + tax.
A lot cheaper than PS, for sure. Gotta wait for the $50 to fit the budget for the desktop version. Several months ago they had it on sale for $25 and I failed to pull the trigger.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If $50 is still too much Procreate may do the trick at $10 base, with additional IAP.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If $50 is still too much Procreate may do the trick at $10 base, with additional IAP.
The $50 is for the desktop version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks