What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
THIS would be interesting, if true. I'm ready!

And IF this is true, very sad news for those looking for iMacs and other announcements.

On the other hand...

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I am reading more news sites reporting that it looks very likely the new iPads and Magic Keyboard will drop next Tuesday as a press release.

Of course, this could simply be more widespread reporting from the single rumor mentioned above.

I have no issue with this other than wondering what is happening with the new iMacs that were rumored to drop this month as well. Airtags, once again, seems to have been put into delay once again according to the rumors

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Presumably it’s the global shortages in computer chips being reported, affecting Apple along with other tech makers.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Which chips in particular are being delaying that Apple uses? The System on a Chip (SoC) that Apple develops and assembled by TSMC? Some other chip that both Macs and iPads would use?

Other companies that develop their own SoCs like Apple have been only been slightly delayed: Tesla had to shut down its Fremont, CA factory for a week, due to chip shortages, but then reopened and set a new record in car production for the entire quarter.

Clearly chip shortages are real, but the details are very scarce.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Which chips in particular are being delaying that Apple uses? The System on a Chip (SoC) that Apple develops and assembled by TSMC? Some other chip that both Macs and iPads would use?

Other companies that develop their own SoCs like Apple have been only been slightly delayed: Tesla had to shut down its Fremont, CA factory for a week, due to chip shortages, but then reopened and set a new record in car production for the entire quarter.

Clearly chip shortages are real, but the details are very scarce.

Ted,

This is one of many articles I have been reading over the past few days that explains it...

Now Sam cites the information as being bad rumors. If that is true, I just want to know what knowledge he has to counteract that information.

One of the more concerning rumors over the past few days is that Apple will forego an event announcement next week in favor of a press release announcing the new iPads and Magic Keyboard.

Yes, a rumor. However, if true, it does beg the question as to what is going on with the iMacs that were about to launch. Have they been affected by chip shortages?

Also, if there is a chip shortage, will iPad availability be limited? They are allegedly just going into mass production.

All guesses, but I anticipate we should know something more definitive on Tuesday.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There aren't delays, there are just mistaken rumors.
It’s completely plausible that Apple is failing to meet and slipping its own internal goals and schedules. Probably due to pandemic. Maybe also due to technical problems a la the inductive charging mat from last year.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So going to the original Nikkei Asia article:
Chip shortages have caused delays in a key step in MacBook production -- the mounting of components on printed circuit boards before final assembly -- sources briefed on the matter told Nikkei Asia. Some iPad assembly, meanwhile, was postponed because of a shortage of displays and display components, sources said.
So, the shortages are circuit boards and displays respectively. Neither one is something I would describe as a "chip".
Guessing that the supply chain is being delayed in a place with COVID related shutdowns/delays which would not be located in either Taiwan or China as neither one of them is having a COVID related shutdowns right now. But keep in mind the Apple supply chain may involve close to 40 different countries.

And based on Nikkei it would make perfect sense that the iPad display shortage was resolved, but the Mac circuit board shortage was not, as they are very likely coming from two completely different sources in the supply chain, and again, neither one is a "chip"

Here is the info on the sources for Apple's display from WikiPedia
The displays are manufactured worldwide by different suppliers. Currently, the iPad's display comes from Samsung,[11] while the MacBook Pro and iPod Touch displays are made by LG Display[12] and Japan Display Inc.[13] There was a shift of display technology from twisted nematic (TN) liquid-crystal displays (LCDs) to in-plane switching (IPS) LCDs starting with the iPhone 4 models in June 2010. The current iPhone 12 displays are made by Corning inc which has introduced Ceramic Shield which has 4 times better drop performance than previous iPhones.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I’ve been meaning to post here for some time. Since there is a new iPad Pro coming, I’ve been debating whether or not to add another one to my line-up!

The reason I say that is that it’s interesting to go back to the start of this thread. I reviewed it and reminded me of the trials I went through in getting the first iPad Pro 12.9” in 2015. It was such a massively important release for me. As a person who created art, sketches and renderings on paper in the olden days, I shifted to buying a large 21” Wacom Cintiq in 2008 to make the jump to digital art creation. (The Wacom is a display with a stylus input that replicates drawing and painting on the screen for those unfamiliar with Wacom.) That was really cool and allowed me to create sketches and artwork and skip the scanning of the artwork step when presenting sketches to clients. But the Wacom is a big display and desk bound and connected to my Mac Pro. That’s fine and I used it a lot.

When the iPad came out in 2010, I really wanted it to do what the Wacom can do, allow me to create art on a portable tablet. I managed to do some decent work with the crude styluses and Bluetooth styluses at the time. When the Apple Pencil came out it was the dream come true! And it was so frustrating that I could not get a Pencil on release day and it took a month to finally get one. And I absolutely loved it. I drew like mad on it. And I stopped using my Wacom, which is a shame as a larger screen is nice to draw on.

And I’ve picked up an iPad Pro 9.7 and 10.5 models along the way too. Plus the iPad Pro 2 12.9. That was a worthwhile upgrade as the faster processor made sketching a much more natural activity as the line I drew on the screen kept up with the Apple Pencil strokes. And when the iPad Pro 3 came out, I jumped on that model. I really like the ability to attach the Pencil to the side of the iPad Pro and it charges it. But I also fear that the Pencil could get knocked off if I’m carrying it around.

You guys might find this crazy but I still use the iPad Pro 2 the most! I use the iPad Pro 3 a lot to do art and design. But maybe because it was so expensive with the larger storage I ordered, maybe I’m afraid to damage it. I guess the iPad Pro 2 is like a work horse machine that can handle everything I need. I read and write emails and texts on it, consume media on it such as films and TV shows and YouTube. And write documents on it with Apple Pages. And I create art and sketches using Autodesk Sketchbook amd the procreate app. I use it a lot and I don’t worry about it. Both the iPad Pro 2 and 3 get used a lot as a portable art tablet. And the iPad Pro 10.5 gets used for that purpose too.

So with that said, I will wonder what the new iPad Pro will have. I missed out on the new cameras on the iPad Pro 4. I was fine with that. Right now, the iPad Pro 2 and 3 are meeting my current needs. I will be curious what the new iPad Pro will offer. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hopefully, tomorrow (Tuesday) will be an interesting day if the iPad Press Release rumor is true.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately that rumor supports the guess it will be just the 24” iMac, which will feel like salt in the wound. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And I hope Apple doesn’t go with pastels for the iMac. I’d consider a bold or rich blue iMac. But not those feckless, washed-out retro pastels. Bleck! 🤮

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, something odd has been happening to my iPad Pro 2 for the last year or two. as I use Safari, I usually just leave it running. And there are often 24 or more tabs left on. So it’s easy to quickly go back to a webpage I was reading the last time I was using the iPad Pro. Over a period of time, it seems something would cause Safari to loose all those tabs and I’m left starting over on Safari. Over time I began to bookmark more pages as this crash has happened maybe close to 10 times. Perhaps some webpages are not iOS friendly amd caused a conflict. Just a guess.

Today, something really glitchy happened as the tabs all went away again, but they were replaced by pages I looked at maybe two, three or more years ago! I did restart the iPad Pro 2 and the page Safari is loading is still all those old pages.

I’m also finding that the Mail app isn’t loading new mail like the iPhone 12 does or my iPad Pro 3 does. If I quit the Mail app and reopen it, it loads the new mail. It’s made me wonder if the recent wonky behavior of the iPad Pro 2 is a sign it’s time to park it. It is currently running iOS 14.3. Also of note is in recent times, the last iOS update took a few tries to get it to work.

The iPad Pro 3 is running 14.4 and has been a stable machine.

I think for now, I can try again to completely quit all running apps on the iPad Pro 2, shut it down. Then attempt to install the latest iOS and see if it accepts that and or improves things. At least the iPad Pro 3 is working fine. And I’ll try to do the iOS 14.5 update.

As far as the new iPad Pro 5 goes, I’m still considering it! With the longer wait times now to wait for delivery, and a working iPad Pro 3, I’m not in a hurry.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That is all very weird. MIght be worth going nuclear and doing a full factory reset and setting it up anew. Big pain, but it’s the one way to rule out a lot software weirdness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks