What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gotcha. I previously thought you were selling and going without the old device for a month or two hoping for rumored device to be launched. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If no other Mac is imminent, that might be where my work funds go (along with a keyboard, case and Apple pencil). But I'd really love for literally any M class mac to be released, whether it's an iMac, 14 or 16" MBP, whatever. But I have little to no hope for that.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they will press release drop it in the time before the show =p
I mean, never say never. Especially recently Apple has been press-release-dropping more than they have in the past. But I feel like M-class is still the new shiny, so I'm thinking Cook and Co. will want to be big-screening this in front of (virtual) people.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rumor: iPad Pros to ship in April. Speculation is that the March event will now be held in April

New Airpods won't ship until Q3

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Love my iPad Air (2020). Very curious what the new iPad Pro brings.
One rumor site said it would have a new A-series chip that was about as fast as the M1, plus, perhaps, Thunderbolt 3 support on the USB-C port.

But who knows?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So I managed to crack a large portion of the screen of my 11” iPad Pro. I accidentally knocked it of the table, it managed to separate itself from its keyboard case and landed face down… It is still under warranty (I bought it last May), but since it is not under Apple Care+ it does me absolutely no good- fixing the screen costs $500 whether it is under under warranty or not…. Here is the relevant info: https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/service

Basically it makes no sense for me to fix it at that cost: might as well buy a new one when it comes out next month…. Thoughts?

I would say that the case of my previous 10.5” iPad Pro is much more reliable - as the magnetic attachment to the case doesn’t exist, it is much more firmly attached to it, and with an identical fall, nothing would have happene. (In effect it is the identical case that came with the original 2010 iPad- those were the best cases for protecting the iPad screen, and models that used identical ones, be they third party or Apple native were the most reliable, the safest.)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
This is why I love Apple so much, and have loved it for years: super nice person from the Genius bar: "yes, I know you don't have AppleCare+ but you can *still* sign up for it. Bonus: yes, you can pay the full $129 for Apple Care, BUT you can just sign up for $5.99 a month, and cancel it at any point in the future."
Meaning, if I love so much the new, soon to be released iPad Pro, I could gift or sell this one and cancel AppleCare... So, basically I'll just need to pay $49 to fix the screen.
I have another Genius appointment for early next week --it does take a day or two for AppleCare to be officially active, my iPad can get "fixed" then -- guessing I'll just replace it for a refurbished one.

So for future reference: only get the monthly version of AppleCare and you can wait all the way until a day before the end of your warranty to do it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this a new policy? In the past, I thought you only had 3 months after purchase to sign up for AppleCare. And there wasn’t a monthly payment option. It was a $129 flat fee.

When I had a broken iPhone and iPad a couple years ago, this was not an option. They only offered out-of-warranty replacement. Which for the iPhone made sense at $299. But for the iPad, the new version was coming out a month later, so I waited to buy a new iPad instead of paying the same price for OOW replacement of the old one.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Is this a new policy? In the past, I thought you only had 3 months after purchase to sign up for AppleCare. And there wasn’t a monthly payment option. It was a $129 flat fee.

When I had a broken iPhone and iPad a couple years ago, this was not an option. They only offered out-of-warranty replacement. Which for the iPhone made sense at $299. But for the iPad, the new version was coming out a month later, so I waited to buy a new iPad instead of paying the same price for OOW replacement of the old one.
Yes, it clearly is a new(ish) policy: both the monthly AppleCare+ payment and the longer period to start AppleCare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks