What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I noticed a few months ago that you can no longer pause a video and take a screen capture. It appears Apple or another entity disabled This functionality. I guess for copyright reasons.

This happens in the video app playing movies and also in the CBS All Access app. I wish they didn’t do that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey guys, I noticed a few months ago that you can no longer pause a video and take a screen capture. It appears Apple or another entity disabled This functionality. I guess for copyright reasons.

This happens in the video app playing movies and also in the CBS All Access app. I wish they didn’t do that.

This has been common in OS X. Not only to Apple but a lot of other companies that don't want to be held liable for copyright issues.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I just discovered something by accident while reading a thread on the HTF, I accidentally slide my Apple Pencil in the area where you type a reply. It actually left a line. So I hand wrote a few letters and they converted to type written letters. How cool!

I didn’t know about this functionality. This must be an Apple functionality where one can hand write into any areas where one can enter type.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, I just discovered something by accident while reading a thread on the HTF, I accidentally slide my Apple Pencil in the area where you type a reply. It actually left a line. So I hand wrote a few letters and they converted to type written letters. How cool!

I didn’t know about this functionality. This must be an Apple functionality where one can hand write into any areas where one can enter type.

I had to turn it off as it became a huge pain-in-the-ass.

Every time I used the iPad to reply to an email or even typing a browser URL, I was putting drawing marks all over the screen.

I had to go into settings and turn off the handwriting feature.

I realize it's a huge feature. Perhaps I should train myself to use it. I loved writing little handwritten notes when I owned a Galaxy S phone years ago. However, for replying in length to emails, I find typing to be much faster than handwriting.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, yeah, I remembered this hand writing functionality being discussed at one of the WWDC. But I’ve not tried it much. I was doing a sketch in my drawing app for work and took a break to look at the HTF and I normally don’t have my Apple Pencil in hand except when I’m drawing. So it was a surprising accident. Unexpected functionality on a forum!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This will be my backup-backup possible purchase. As I mentioned in the other thread, I get an annual "stipend" of sorts for extra work done for the workplace, but it's in the form of funds that need to be used for professional development or equipment purchases. These need to be expended before the close of the fiscal year in June.

In a dream world, it would be on an M-class 14" or 16" MBP. But chances are slim to none that one will be released before June. The second choice would be an M-class iMac. I think the chances of one being released before June are slightly better than the MBPs. Absent that, I'll get the new iPad at the highest capacity, along with all the fixings (keyboard, pencil, etc.). But I'd really prefer the first two options if Apple would just get going already. :laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m definitely curious what the new iPad Pro will be. But I expect to have no regrets over buying my new Air last Fall. I’m guessing the new Pro starts at $899 (+$100 from current model) to keep a $300 difference from the Air, which is fine for what it will be, but way more than I wanted to spend.

But given how awesome the 2020 iPad Air is, the new Pro should be very impressive.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I can get a little over $500 for my Gen 3 12" iPad Pro (the one before the current one).

So that means a new one will only cost me about $500-$600 as I don't need cellular this time around
Through who? Gazelle / Sell Your Mac?

I'm actively using mine (Same generation, no LIDAR) so would want to wait until we had a more clear launch date. If it is truly March 16 I'd sell off 1 March. I understand you might want to do yours now tho.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Through who? Gazelle / Sell Your Mac?

I'm actively using mine (Same generation, no LIDAR) so would want to wait until we had a more clear launch date. If it is truly March 16 I'd sell off 1 March. I understand you might want to do yours now tho.

Yes, SellYourMac

My Pro has cellular (something I needed years ago when I used it as a road navigation device with Waze)

So, it holds more value.

This time around I don't need cellular. If I do, I can use it from my iPhone's hotspot.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
LOL I'm going just the opposite direction. I cheaped out and got Wifi only. Now that my verizon unlimited cut the extra line fee down to $5 a month I'm considering getting a presumably 5G next gen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just dropped off my 12.9" iPad Pro (3rd Gen) at FedEx. Sold it to SellYourMac.

Getting ready for the new models to be announced next month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the price drop from before to after new-model release? (Trying to understand going without an essential device for a month to save a couple of bucks.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What's the price drop from before to after new-model release? (Trying to understand going without an essential device for a month to save a couple of bucks.)

If you are talking about optimizing selling your device I can't give you a precise answer.

Since most of these buyers allow 30 days for you to send in your device, I generally sell mine a month before I think there will be an announcement. Once an announcement is made -- even days before leading up to that announcement -- I think the sale value drops as there is an onslaught of people trying to unload their devices.

I don't use my iPad that much so not having it for a month is not a big deal.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You're banking on the month price lock and rumors to hopefully send in your old device almost same day as you get the new device?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You're banking on the month price lock and rumors to hopefully send in your old device almost same day as you get the new device?

That's really the only way to maximize your sale.

First of all, when it comes to hardware release rumors --- major hardware releases -- the rumors are usually spot on. I don't even question them.

In this case, there is enough rumor steam out there to suggest a March event and that a new iPad Pro will be released. In question is whether new iMac(s) will also be released. That rumor is not as strong.

The timing of my iPad sale is not important. I don't use my iPad often. So, I can live without the device for a month or more.

If this were a computer being released in another month I would have issues. Generally, I own more than one computer. So I can take that gamble as I have another to fall back on. This time out, I only have my 16" MBP so when I think an announcement is close, I will probably sell it a month early and resort to using my iPad.

The resale value drops significantly once everyone starts selling their devices and that usually happens within days of an expected announcement and accelerates once the announcement is made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks