What's new

Apple 2020 iPad Pro owners thread. Your computer is not a computer (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have said this too many times before.

The iPad is not a replacement for a computer ..

... not yet.

It's not the hardware but the software. iPad OS is still restrictive in doing things you can do on a desktop. People have been complaining about this for years and examples have been given on this forum.

That is probably going to change soon, however.

This keyboard is one big step forward (with the addition of mouse support)

However, iPad OS needs a bit more tinkering to really be able to act as a laptop. There are a lot of rumors the next major update will have a lot of those missing features added.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, looks like they quietly rolled it out this morning.

I came close to ordering one as I could get $512 for my current iPad Pro (12.9) if I sell it.

However, as an owner of the prior Pro version, I don't see many huge advantages.

First, there's no mini-LED screen here as some people had been hoping.

There's a huge upgrade to the camera system but I still can't understand people using an iPad as a photography device unless they don't own a phone that takes good pictures.

This is not a huge step up from the previous model.

However, it's the perfect model for someone like Dave.

Also happy to see the new keyboard accessory, though at an astronomical $299-$349, is backward compatible with the prior Pro models.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Works just fine for me as a laptop replacement even without the new keyboard. All the folks saying it can't be done are really amusing to those of us out there doing it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Works just fine for me as a laptop replacement even without the new keyboard. All the folks saying it can't be done are really amusing to those of us out there doing it.

Everyone's needs are different. What works for you may not work for someone else.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Everyone's needs are different. What works for you may not work for someone else.

Exactly.

And I do not appreciate being referred to as a liar or someone who is "amusing" because my needs are different than someone else's.

Thanks for showing some respect, Doug. Appreciate it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Blanket statements work both ways.

read posts correctly before you respond

I was talking about Apple’s commercial that misleads people thinking the iPad is as good as a full computer.

understand now?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
read posts correctly before you respond

I was talking about Apple’s commercial that misleads people thinking the iPad is as good as a full computer.

understand now?

And I'm talking about the legions of people who are using it as a real computer. Despite others making blanket statements that it can't be done.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm starting to catch up on this. Initial impressions:

• Base storage is 128GB!!! Awesome!
    • I planned on getting the 64GB, didn't want to pay $150 for the 128GB. This new base storage is plenty plenty for me Now and for next several years of use!
  • Sneaky sneaky tossing in that glimpse of the thumb keyboard. People were wondering why that got torn out in iOS 13. Good to get that back.
  • A12Z is still a full version behind A13 in iPhone 11 and presumably two revs behind the A14 coming this Fall. I've not checked the specs but I'm surprised the iPad Pro is being left to relatively languish on the core architecture .
    • Given its ~18 mo refresh cycle. It will be A12Z vs A15 before it gets upgraded.
  • No mini-LED. Do I really care? no.
  • Not "three cameras". Two cameras and LIDAR (for AR)
    • This is the realm of "cool upgrades" that I won't use. Maybe I'd snap more photos of my cats with my iPad given quality cameras.
    • I want to love AR but it's just not become a thing for me. I'm open to that changing.
  • Keyboard case...This isn't meant for me, I'm not a literal "pro" user.
    • But I was hoping for something affordable and suitable for my uses. But the design, with the elevated stand, I don't know this is suitable for airline travel and use.
    • And at $300 it's not immediately suitable to my target budget.
    • The Smart Folio keyboard is still stupid expensive at $179, but that was already in my budgeting.
  • So could there be an Uber Pro model this Fall using a supposed A14X?
    • There's some big things rumored or hoped for not present: A13 or A14X and mini-LED. Next-gen faster FaceID. Possible further reduction in bezel.
    • Maybe those rumors are really for 2021 or 2022 updates?

I want a bigger iPad screen without going to the 12.9" model. I want the four speaker system introduced with the original Pro for watching videos and Netflix without headphones I want a little more speed for web browsing and such. I want a keyboard to maybe improve and expand my use of the iPad on HTF, messagings, Facebook. I want 64GB storage at least. I want to buy the base model at $799 or less. This model ticks all those boxes. Maybe there's an new models coming in the Fall. If those will have A14X and mini-LED, they're going to be even more expensive. So practically, wouldn't be for me.

In January, I'd be smashing the "shut up and take my money" button to get the iPad immediately.

But... I want this at least 50% for business travel. Which is now stopped. My finances planned for this iPad. Except corona virus is making me be cautious in the short term. Can I spend $1000 on a toy? Or will I be wishing for that $1000 to pay bills in two months?

Will be watching reviews, learning more. Make a cardboard mock up to make sure it fits my travel satchel. Will give it some duration before buying to feel comfortable with the expenditure.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I need to read more about this new iPad Pro to understand more, but the three cameras seems to me more about augmented reality then photography. In my work, it could be useful as a 3D scanner if that is one of its functions. So that is really cool for me in the design work.

I still use my iPad Pro 12.9 second generation daily, sort of as my workhorse. But my use of the 2018 third generation iPad Pro has been mostly for sketching and drawing. It’s the fully loaded version and I don’t think I need to upgrade to this new version yet either. Though I’m curious about the functionality of the cameras and if the new processors will make sketching and painting any better. The speed of the processor on the second and third generation iPad Pros eliminated that lag when drawing with the Apple Pencil. So I imagine there’s not a lot of benefit from this new iPad Pro. Though I’d love to have it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need to read more about this new iPad Pro to understand more, but the three cameras seems to me more about augmented reality then photography. In my work, it could be useful as a 3D scanner if that is one of its functions. So that is really cool for me in the design work.
AR is the advertised goal and LIDAR is a big deal continuing to push for AR in hardware, to be sure.

But looks like the two cameras from the iPhone 11, so completely as good for photography as the current model non-pro iPhone. Which isn't terrible.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any word on faceid for "laying in bed" use? That's one of my major use cases; I'm iPad-ing every night in bed. Unlocked with touchid is easy. If it's not easy with faceid, that's a big downgrade.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
  • So could there be an Uber Pro model this Fall using a supposed A14X?
I'm on record stating "No way" there are two iPad pro updates in a year. Today's half measure update without updated chips and without Mini LED make me rethink that. I've been wrong many times. I've eaten my mushrooms before =)

It now seems you are much more likely to be right and I am wrong, and a second refresh is possible but not guaranteed. Edit to add: I bet the new model, if there is one, is called something besides iPad Pro tho!

I will probably just get the new keyboard and wait for an OLED / Mini LED refresh down the road.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, but I was asking you to back up your claim that "legions" of people are using the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement.

I am confused as well. Those videos support my statement that the iPad is not a total computer replacement.

BTW, those videos pretty much back up the articles from industry press over the past year that have admitted that even though Apple has made great strides with iPad OS, the operating system is still inhibitive to some who can't use it for their personal needs.

However, I have no doubt that the upgrade that should be announced at WWDC will address many of those concerns.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm on record stating "No way" there are two iPad pro updates in a year. Today's half measure update without updated chips and without Mini LED make me rethink that. I've been wrong many times. I've eaten my mushrooms before =)

It now seems you are much more likely to be right and I am wrong, and a second refresh is possible but not guaranteed. Edit to add: I bet the new model, if there is one, is called something besides iPad Pro tho!

I will probably just get the new keyboard and wait for an OLED / Mini LED refresh down the road.

Rumors of Fall iPad release after Spring iPad Pro refresh are totally weird. I don't think it's "right" or "wrong". Just trying to do the "kremlinology" of Apple's actions combined with random rumor sites vying for eyeballs.

But it now seems more plausible to me there will be a huge iPad announcement late this Fall. But I'm betting that if that happens, it will be $1000+ models, possibly ARM A-series A14X true laptop replacements running macOS or a to-be-announced macOS-ipadOS hybrid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks