What's new

Apple 2020 iPad Pro owners thread. Your computer is not a computer (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t even use a computer my more, (lapptop, desktop).
My wife still uses her MacBook Air though.

My only issue with using an iPod as a computer is that too many sites that still force itself into mobile version, maybe that’s not a problem anymore I don’t know.

I still have a laptop and only use it rarely for specific things.
One example is the list for redeeming 4K codes spreadsheet.
My non pro edition iPad doesn’t do those well at all.
I wouldn’t even attempt to make a spreadsheet on my iPad.

Again maybe that works on pro but sure doesn’t on a regular three year old iPad.

Also we can’t afford that kind of money for a pro level iPad. They seem to be overly expensive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My only issue with using an iPod as a computer is that too many sites that still force itself into mobile version, maybe that’s not a problem anymore I don’t know.
Request Desktop Site
https://wccftech.com/how-to/request-desktop-site-ios-13/

I still have a laptop and only use it rarely for specific things.
One example is the list for redeeming 4K codes spreadsheet.
My non pro edition iPad doesn’t do those well at all.
I wouldn’t even attempt to make a spreadsheet on my iPad.
Do you use Safari or the Google Sheets app for reading such spreadsheets? My $329 iPad handles that spreadsheet fine in the Sheets app.

Now, it's crashing on the JHU Corona Virus Dashboard, so I'm not saying the basic iPad does all websites without problem. But I browse various Google spreadsheets on the base model iPad without any only erratic problems, which typically go aware if I kill and restart the app.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I do request the desktop site but it doesn’t work all the time.

When I try to read that sheet on my iPad it scrolls very sLow top to bottom and I can’t resize the page like I can on a laptop.

Do you think it works better on different browser then chrome?
How do you get that sheet into the Sheets app?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

What you want to do is set Safari to request the desktop website for every site you visit, all the time, in settings:

31FF9242-E014-44AC-8A63-495CE19DE496.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quick glance at the reviews, and I’m starting to consider waiting until this Fall to see if there’s a six month super-refresh.

The 2020 model is fine. I’ll buy it if life returns to normal sooner than later.

But keeping the A12 dampens my enthusiasm. Buying a brand new $800 tablet powered by an 18 month CPU, that will be 2 generations behind this fall, doesn’t enthuse me. Not from a longevity standpoint.

And its headliner features — cameras and LiDAR — don’t do me any good.

Still, I want to upgrade from my $329 iPad. If I start traveling again for work this Spring, I’ll almost certainly buy the new iPad Pro regardless of the feeds and speeds issues.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Daring Fireball: The 2020 iPad Pros”
https://daringfireball.net/2020/03/the_2020_ipad_pros
If you don’t have a 2018 iPad Pro, I can recommend these new iPad Pros with no reservations. Everything I wrote about the 2018 iPad Pros still stands. Rumors abound that Apple might release a more significant iPad Pro update at the end of the year, perhaps only in the 12.9-inch size. If you want to wait, wait, but waiting for rumored future products is a good way to tie yourself in knots and wind up waiting forever. If you need a new iPad now, these are the best iPads Apple has ever made, and arguably the best portable computers Apple has ever made, period.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-A...d-A12X-with-an-enabled-GPU-core.458883.0.html

A12Z is A12X with 8th GPU core enabled. Some poeple are freaking out about it. It’s just normal binning of semiconductors. Interesting to understand that 2020 really is practically identical to the 2018 wrt CPU.

On review, if life were normal, I’d buy today. The 6GB RAM from my 2GB (1GB?) prior gen iPad would be a huge improvement in web browsing and multitasking.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wonder if TSA will treat the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard as a tablet or a laptop? Tablets stay in bags. Laptops have to be pulled out and sent through the x-ray alone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As far as I know, tablets have always been treated separately than computers mainly due to battery size

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought part of it was volume and total material for the X-ray machine to see through.

At times, TSA Pre requires iPads to be removed from bags. Their policy is not 100% absolutely fixed. So it's a tablet. But wrapped up in more metal, I wondered if they might start treating it differently.

I think it's a good guess it will continue to be treated so. But I'm definitely interested to see this confirmed when life goes back to normal*.

* whatever "normal" turns out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks