What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (2 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You guys are gonna bitch like hell when Apple gives up on Lossless and wired synching. Prepare for pain now, it's not a question of if but when. You aren't just making a lot of unnecessary extra work for yourselves, you're relying on tech that is sure to be jettisoned sooner than later.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So what? Deal with it when it happens. Until then, carry on with whatever floats your boat. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just making a comment based on your kid comment from earlier.

Say this person who bought the new non-cellular iPad also has kids. And they use the iPad to placate kids while driving long distances to family vacations. Load up on movies/cartoons, hand it off to kids, enjoy relative silence from "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"
That is the biggest non sequitur.

My example clearly shows why someone would need a wired connection. One example was transferring large files like ALAC. Another case example was if people had kids and couldn't be connected via cellular. Two totally separate use cases. Then you conflated them and talked about kids and ALAC. And then you talk about streaming coming a long way, when that in no way still doesn't cover the use case of a wi-fi only iPad in places that have no free wi-fi (like on an airplane, car, etc.).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You guys are gonna bitch like hell when Apple gives up on Lossless and wired synching. Prepare for pain now, it's not a question of if but when. You aren't just making a lot of unnecessary extra work for yourselves, you're relying on tech that is sure to be jettisoned sooner than later.

So what? Deal with it when it happens. Until then, carry on with whatever floats your boat. ;)
What Doug says. If/when Apple ditches everything and eliminates people's ability to do something very basic like transfer large files from one Apple Device to another...I will vote with my dollars. I already have a Windows PC vs. a new Mac desktop, because of the state of Mac desktop hardware (which until very recently was allowed to languish with overly old hardware). And I'm enjoying my Windows experience, so life without Apple doesn't seem so unseemly to me as it did maybe 2-3 years ago. They have every chance to keep me on board, but I also am more than capable of voting with my feet without bitching like hell. There are other companies who would love a chunk of that Apple revenue.

But given how Apple has actually responded to consumer requests to increase storage (now up to 1TB on iPad), I'm guessing that doomsday scenario you list Sam is still a ways off. And when they do it, the wireless option will be sufficiently robust enough to replace the wired option. If they truly wanted to force people to stream everything, they'd have said "enjoy your 64GB of memory, that's all you need anyway" in the same cavalier manner in which they dropped the headphone jack. Oh, speaking of the lack of headphone jack, I see Apple offers a first-party $9 USB-C to headphone jack, so even though they "dropped the jack" they didn't really stop supporting it.

Don't get me wrong, if I could wirelessly transfer large data quickly from my Mac to my iDevice, I have no need for any wired connection. But as of now, that's not an option (at least that I'm aware of, though I'm sure smarter people have figured out workarounds).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Carlo, I just want to make my CD collection as lossless files for the full CD quality and enjoy them on my “I” devices and also to play them on the hi-fi system.

And agreed, if there’s a way to wirelessly transfer the music and movie files from the Mac to the I-devices, that would be great.

So is that how some of you guys do it now? Back up the music files in you iPhone ans iPads in the cloud? Or are you into the iTunes method of buying the music from iTunes or use Apple Music to stream?

Given that Apple has been upping the storage capacity of the iPhone to 512GB and iPad Pro to 1TB, that seems to tell me customers want to store as much media as they can on their devices. Though on the iPad Pro, I can see some of that storage is for storing work files created on the iPad Pro.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes Carlo, I just want to make my CD collection as lossless files for the full CD quality and enjoy them on my “I” devices and also to play them on the hi-fi system.

And agreed, if there’s a way to wirelessly transfer the music and movie files from the Mac to the I-devices, that would be great.
Wi-fi sync. Been using it for a few years. It’s how I usually transfer music to my iPhone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
26AD6A15-0DDB-4F08-A453-D3972EFE776B.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a huge CD library. About 1,200 discs. The "hit" songs have been transferred to my iTunes and then my iPhone.

I also have a few thousand downloaded songs, mostly 360kbps. All of this music is stored on my MacBook Pro.

This year I bought an extra capacity iPhone XS Max with 512GB to be the primary source of storing my music which is about 8,200 songs.

To play them on other devices I purchased Apple Music at $99 per year and now have that music available on my iPad via Apple Cloud. Yes, it's only available through the cloud and it's streamed, but it serves its purpose.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks Dave! I never knew that. Must take longer if you have a large amount of music and movies? I’ll check if the WiFi sync will work with my older Mac OS on this 2018 iPad Pro. Thanks again!

Ron and others, I forgot to mention, one of the reasons I decided to drop Apple Music is I have a lot of odd and out of print CDs of film music scores. Plus many special edition remastered or older mastered albums I like. There’s the Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs too that have a different masterings that I’d like. I noticed that Apple Music doesn’t have those. For example, I have a special edition soundtrack score for Star Trek The Motion Picture that is the complete score. It’s not on Apple Music, I tried to find it. So it’s just great I can have my CDs of those odd ball albums in my library.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Dave for the wi-fi sync. I have a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable coming tomorrow so I'll likely do my initial transfer over wired, since it's about 200GB of data. But I may enable wi-fi sync for updates, so each time I buy or burn new music, it can transfer over wi-fi to my iPad.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
That is the biggest non sequitur.

My example clearly shows why someone would need a wired connection. One example was transferring large files like ALAC. Another case example was if people had kids and couldn't be connected via cellular. Two totally separate use cases. Then you conflated them and talked about kids and ALAC. And then you talk about streaming coming a long way, when that in no way still doesn't cover the use case of a wi-fi only iPad in places that have no free wi-fi (like on an airplane, car, etc.).

I've been using my phones wi-fi hotspot in the car for quite a while now to allow my son to use Samsung tablet (wifi only) to watch YouTube or stream movies with no issues. No downloading needed.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As long as you have cell service and a lot of monthly data available, that's fine. No need to worry about any of that if the files are local.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
We have had unlimited and hotspot access for quite a while with no issues. Plus I can "download" movies from my Google Play and Spotify accounts direct to the devices in case we don't have any access to cell or wifi (rare nowdays) No more plugging in and waiting hours to load movies and music, that I do not miss.

Not saying hard wired and hard loading stuff isn't useful but I've gotten past that stage and no longer need or use it like I did say 4-5 or so years ago.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've been using my phones wi-fi hotspot in the car for quite a while now to allow my son to use Samsung tablet (wifi only) to watch YouTube or stream movies with no issues. No downloading needed.
Here again you presume that what you have and what works for you automatically solves everyone else's issues. What if people don't have unlimited plans? Or even with those, they get throttled after a certain number of GBs? Or they have different carriers with different signal strengths and coverages?

It's great that some things work for you. That doesn't mean they'll work for everyone, and that other means of file transfers or device usage are in any way less legitimate than what you do with your devices and services.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There's no such thing as an "unlimited" cellular data plan. Every carrier in the U.S. throttles your bandwidth above a certain threshold.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I guess I'm lucky. We stream/surf a lot on our phones now that we are on TMO (caps at 50GB but rarely enforces it) and even with the heaviest usages we don't even come close to any supposed threshold on any given month. I would have to work very hard to hit 15GB a month on my line. Even my teen who is using phone non stop barely hits 15-20GB each month. Odds are the same happens with a lot of folks. So for me at least I have no fear of hitting a cap, it's pretty much a non issue.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve learned that I can’t do the synch with my Mac through WiFi, the OS on the Mac is too old. I’ve been reading up how to update the OS. My Mac is still running Yosemite and the newest iOS in the iPhone and iPad are not compatible. So in order to do the WiFi synch, I need to do the OS update at least to High Sierra. Which I need to do anyway in order to go to Mojave. And then I still need to use the cable to set up the synch through WiFi the first time. I’ve gathered the required GPU card too that is Metal capable so I can do the update to Mojave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks