What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Kind of neat idea. Shame you have to attach that hunk of steel to an ipad to just get the most basic of connections that most other tablets today have built.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's a nice hub. I am always concerned about Kickstarter projects as there is always a chance the product will never make it to market and the customer loses the investment. However, I don't think that will be the case here.

Let us know what you eventually think of it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
So this only works if you have no case on the ipad correct? Also, I wonder how sturdy it will be after multiple uses, meaning I hate how easy it is to bend/break the tiny lightning connector and I fear this big thing will eventually become too loose or will distort over time and won't stay locked in place.

Still it's a bit embarrassing that you have to invest in this hunk of metal to get what other tablet makers have built into their devices still to this day.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Embarrassing? Please. How many tablets do you know of that have a full-size SD card slot, a USB-A slot, and a HDMI out? Not many. Also, this will work with most cases, including the Apple Smart Keyboard, and the iPad Pro does not have Lightning connector. It's USB-C, as is this device. It will not work with other iPads.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Carlo,

Thanks for the explanation.

It's just frustrating that I have to take a laptop with me when I am away when it would be more convenient to just use the iPad. However, the iPad is far from a desktop replacement at this point.

Let's hope Apple figures it all out.

You will love the new 11" iPad, Carlo. I would HIGHLY recommend you spend the money to get a pencil. I don't use my fingers to navigate around iOS anymore.
Ron - first of all, very much enjoying the new IPP. The A12 is definitely significantly faster and more powerful than the previous gen IPP which I'm in the process of boxing up and shipping.

To continue on the Apple A## vs. Intel CPU chip, it looks like Intel is trying the "If you can't beat 'em, poach 'em" route.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/15/johny-srouji-intel-ceo-candidate/

This isn't a dig on Intel, tech companies poach top talent from each other all the time. But it shows the strides Apple's CPU tech has made, because in the beginning Apple was poaching from Intel, AMD, etc. And now the reverse is happening.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mine arrived a couple of days ago, but I haven't really had a chance to do anything other than test the fit, which is excellent. Looking forward to your impressions, Sam.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Mine arrived yesterday. Trying it out tonight

So - what's the verdict?
Honestly it won't apply to me when I do get a USB C iPadPro, because my current Bose headphones get strictly used wirelessly and my Canon 5D camera uses the big flash card which never had any direct compatibility - I use a https://pixelflashtech.com/products/pixelflash-no-bend-pins-2-cabled-cf-reader
This is their USB C version: https://pixelflashtech.com/collecti...elflash-no-bend-pins-type-c-cf-reader-classic

But it does look like an amazing product, thus my curiosity.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Anyone using a a keyboard case with the current 12.9 pro? Want to speak to whether your seeing any scratching of the screen? What case do you use?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been using the Apple keyboard case with my 11" Pro since last December. There has been no issue at all with screen scratching or rubbing. The glass still looks brand-new.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave, I’m not using a keyboard case. Just the Smart Cover and rear cover. No issues with scratching of course. I do use a first gen iPad Pro with the Apple Keyboard attached that is at work. There’s no scratches on the screen. I know that’s not helping to answer your question. But I do think you can’t go wrong with an Apple keyboard. But that’s my preference. Others have their preferences. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ever since the iPad Air, I’ve not used screen protectors. I used the iPad to draw and paint on. I’ve used many different styluses and I did not want a screen protector to possibly impede the stylus tip. However if it helped to make the glass feel more like paper I’d consider it. But as of now with the Apple Pencil, I’m fine with the bare glass. And I keep the Pencil tip and glass clean before drawing, so no scratches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks