What's new

Apple Watch Series 4 Buyers and Owners thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, I got the plain SS watch. I figure the Space Black coating on the SS could scratch off if one were to accidentally bump hard against something, though I haven’t seen one. So I don’t know how tough the coating is. I have the Milanese Loop too and it’s not been a problem in terms of breathing. It’s easy to wash or wipe off the loop too. I prefer the plain SS as my mechanical watches are SS too.

I don’t know what to say about the cost, I was joking about premium price. The SS just costs more.
The Milanese loop looks like it could be porous and breathable. It looks good. Of the 3 SS colors, I like the gold the least and the black is my favorite.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It is pretty cool Apple did the Milanese Loop in Black too so it works on the black watch. I think the loop is very breathable. When you hold it up, you can see through it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It is pretty cool Apple did the Milanese Loop in Black too so it works on the black watch. I think the loop is very breathable. When you hold it up, you can see through it.
I like that. Will definitely consider it when I go shopping.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As a follow up to the previous post, to buy the band separately, it’s $150. Wow! I read reviews on apple an a frequent complaint is the band catches arm hairs, the color rubs of in spots in a month, and it’s easy to scratch the face with the Milanese band.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The stainless steel Apple Watch with the Milanese loop is pricey. My arms are not that hairy so I’ve not experienced any issues. The color rubbing off is not an issue either. I don’t think i’ve experienced what you mention. I suspect what that color rubbing off is referring to the steel of the loop as it rubs against itself as it’s looped over and rubs off a tiny bit of metal that’s black. It takes some time for that to happen and what I’ve done is take the band off the watch and wash it off with a toothbrush and it’s good as new again. It’s like washing a stainless steel skillet with Scotchbrite pad, it takes off tiny bits of metal and it rinses out black. I’m very gentle with my watches so it takes many months for the band to turn slightly black. You will experience the same thing with a stainless steel linked bracket on a mechanical Swiss Watch. My mechanical watch bands are the steel linked type, but I see a tiny bit of wear where the buckle rubs against the metal band. You’ll see this I bet on the expensive watches. I’ve worn my Apple Watch with the silicone band that came with the Apple Watch first gen originally and with the Milanese loop. For me the loop is the most affordable of the metal bands that Apple Offers and is the most elegant with the steel watch. I did read a review of a third party Milanese loop and it looked good, but it did not last very long and broke. So to me, it’s sometimes worth it to spend a little more to get a good fit and better quality. I plan to keep my watch for 3 years or so, I figure by then, the Apple Watch 6 or 7 will be worth upgrading to. Maybe it will have a glucose meter and blood pressure sensor by then! :)

It sounds like you’ve been doing a lot of research and not gone to an Apple Store to see and try one.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Maybe it will have a glucose meter and blood pressure sensor by then! :)

It sounds like you’ve been doing a lot of research and not gone to an Apple Store to see and try one.
I’d like to see a pulse/ox reader in the watch. That would be cool. You are right, I’ve not gone to the store. I won’t do that until I’m ready to buy, which means my tax refund comes in.

The way you referred to the black metal rubbing off? I’m thinking you mean the coating on the SS, don’t you?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, I don’t know what you read about the color rubbing off in spots from your post above, I’m only mentioning something that I’m guessing is the reason for the spots. All I can say is that I have the silver Milanese loop band. So there is no coating coming off, I’m guessing you are referring to a black coating that would be on the black Milanese loop. I’m just referring to what I see on mine, what i’ve seen happen on my first gen Apple Watch with the silver Milanese loop, after wearing it for several months, the band will start to turn black where it rubs against itself as it loops over. It’s nothing that was a problem. I just washed it off amd it was fine. It did not stain my clothes or skin. So far this new Apple Watch 4 with the silver Milanese loop has been fine. No spots, nothing. I’m sure everyone’s mileage will differ as to how aggressive someone is with the watch, or how careful they are.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I suspect what that color rubbing off is referring to the steel of the loop as it rubs against itself as it’s looped over and rubs off a tiny bit of metal that’s black.
Paying attention would help me to understand what you wrote. You are not referring to your band but to others.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m a bit of a watch geek and so HODINKEE is a watch site and app I will visit. They are focused on mechanical watches. But they’ve not ignored the Apple Watch and one of their recent videos covers the Apple Watch 4 from their perspective.

It’s surprising in this day and age that a lot of younger guys are into the classic mechanical watches so it’s interesting to see their take on the smart watch.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m a bit of a watch geek and so HODINKEE is a watch site and app I will visit. They are focused on mechanical watches. But they’ve not ignored the Apple Watch and one of their recent videos covers the Apple Watch 4 from their perspective.

It’s surprising in this day and age that a lot of younger guys are into the classic mechanical watches so it’s interesting to see their take on the smart watch.

Interesting. The mechanical watch geek says the smart watch will become indispensable and it may happen soon.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Nelson Au have you bought any of the after market bands? I'm seriously considering buying the SS with the cheaper band and buying a band from amazon. After paying for the amazon band, it's a savings of $90.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, I’ve not bought any third party bands. I’ve been fine with the Apple band and loop. There are a lot of third party options out there! Part of the fun for a lot of people is trying all kinds of bands. So go for it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, I’ve not bought any third party bands. I’ve been fine with the Apple band and loop. There are a lot of third party options out there! Part of the fun for a lot of people is trying all kinds of bands. So go for it.
The SS band looks interesting:
https://smile.amazon.com/Seoaura-Co...acement/dp/B07DXN7K29/ref=cm_wl_huc_item?th=1
And I find I’m liking this nylon band in olive:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074748...olid=3399ER5R6AD9I&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found a video that reviews apple watch bands that aren't cheap knockoffs, some a bit pricey. At the end, they review the apple Milanese and an apple leather band, both liked very well by the reviewer. Most interesting, they they showed a 2 year-old black Milanese that was still all black.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Does Apple not allow ratings on their apps? I just downloaded their watch app and it has no ratings and no reviews.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listening to WSJ reporter Joanna Stern on a podcast or two, she's recommended the cheap Milanese Loop bands and other similarly affordable bands. If I were buying anew band, I'd start with one of the cheap $10 bands. My wife has bought a nice leather band from Etsy that was circa $50, not cheap but still a good savings over Apple's high-priced bands.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Listening to WSJ reporter Joanna Stern on a podcast or two, she's recommended the cheap Milanese Loop bands and other similarly affordable bands. If I were buying anew band, I'd start with one of the cheap $10 bands. My wife has bought a nice leather band from Etsy that was circa $50, not cheap but still a good savings over Apple's high-priced bands.
This was the way I was going to go, but that video I posted showed a two year-old black Milanese loop that was in excellent shape. That got me thinking I should go with the Apple band. Now you’ve got me waving. I guess I could buy 9 or 10 of the cheap ones and still break even, considering the watch with the Milanese loop is a $100 more.

Was the recommendation generic or did she mentions specific brands?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks