What's new

Apple Watch Series 7 Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Perhaps, out of all the Apple products I have owned, the watch is my favorite device. I think it’s the best product Apple ever made.

I have bought every single series watch since its inception and I am excited by the re-design that is coming with Series 7.

While I would never expect anyone to buy a new watch every year, like most of my upgrades, I subsidize the purchase with a trade-in where I get approx. 40% of its original cost.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve got a hand-me-down series 3. I wear it mainly on the weekends and use it for a fitness device, for which it’s great. Battery life is really taking a nosedive — not a big surprise on a four (?) year old watch — and my Saturday two-hour workout consumes 50% and I have to recharge afterwards to get through the rest of the day.

I’m upgrading to the 7 this Fall / Winter.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
After many years of thinking about it, I finally tool the Apple Watch plunge with the Series 6, and I really like it. I like the renders of the expected redesign, but I don't think I can upgrade after just one year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw the report of delays to the Apple Watch. I'm skeptical on this. But could be. Fortunately, that's not an urgent purchase for me. I'll get it when I can get it. It might be a Christmas present.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After many years of thinking about it, I finally tool the Apple Watch plunge with the Series 6, and I really like it. I like the renders of the expected redesign, but I don't think I can upgrade after just one year.

I wouldn’t recommend it. I do it just because there is a 40% trade-in value.

Glad you like the watch, David. I keep saying it’s the best product Apple has made.

I saw the report of delays to the Apple Watch. I'm skeptical on this. But could be. Fortunately, that's not an urgent purchase for me. I'll get it when I can get it. It might be a Christmas present.

I feel the same way. The phone and MacBook Pro are more important upgrades to me right now.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have long since learned to ignore all the delay & production problem rumors that show up every September. Call me paranoid, but elementary stock manipulation.

Apple is lucky they aren’t Tesla — the amount of fake rumors from the Tesla shorts is remarkable. You have to go back to the late ‘90s, early ‘00s to find an era where Apple was getting that much abuse.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have long since learned to ignore all the delay & production problem rumors that show up every September. Call me paranoid, but elementary stock manipulation.

Apple is lucky they aren’t Tesla — the amount of fake rumors from the Tesla shorts is remarkable. You have to go back to the late ‘90s, early ‘00s to find an era where Apple was getting that much abuse.

Ted, of course nobody outside of Apple knows what is going on.

I would, however, go out on a ledge and say the rumors about manufacturing issues with the watch are true.

I say this only because the rumors are rampant and coming from the supply chain. These are the same rumors that persisted a year ago about iPhone manufacturing delays which turned out to be true.

If the rumors are true, there will either be a limited amount of watches available at launch or they will just move the launch date back.

Again, it’s anyone’s guess.

I am really looking forward to the new watch with the larger display. However, what I am worried about is the watch band compatibility. I have a binder filled with over 2 dozen different watch bands that may suddenly become worthless.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My S3 is crashing and rebooting during workouts sometimes: start an exercise mode and 30 seconds later the watch is showing the Apple-logo and spends the next five minutes rebooting. Sometimes this happens multiple times in a row.

Remarkably, it doesn‘t lose the workout. The timer and tracking seems to persist through the reboot!

My guess is this is the same thing as the old-battery-reboot problem on old iPhones. The Watch gets up the pulse-tracking with the LED on full and an audio app is running in the background and it’s just too much demand and the battery can’t do it, and the phone crashes.

A new Apple Watch has gone from “I really want it” to “Need it”.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My S3 is crashing and rebooting during workouts sometimes: start an exercise mode and 30 seconds later the watch is showing the Apple-logo and spends the next five minutes rebooting. Sometimes this happens multiple times in a row.

Remarkably, it doesn‘t lose the workout. The timer and tracking seems to persist through the reboot!

My guess is this is the same thing as the old-battery-reboot problem on old iPhones. The Watch gets up the pulse-tracking with the LED on full and an audio app is running in the background and it’s just too much demand and the battery can’t do it, and the phone crashes.

A new Apple Watch has gone from “I really want it” to “Need it”.

Sorry to hear this. It seems like your S3 watch has reached its end of life, that is unless, a software update or complete reset and re-install would fix it.

I am kind of surprised how long these watches can last. I gave my series 1 and 2 watches to friends and they still work fine and hold their charge. That’s kind of surprising for a battery that gets charged every day.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sorry to hear this. It seems like your S3 watch has reached its end of life, that is unless, a software update or complete reset and re-install would fix it.

I am kind of surprised how long these watches can last. I gave my series 1 and 2 watches to friends and they still work fine and hold their charge. That’s kind of surprising for a battery that gets charged every day.
It’s an original S3. And it was a free hand-me-down from a friend when he upgraded to a S4 or S5 a couple years ago. So it’s done me well super great! And not used for fitness tracking, it still works fine. And 75% of workouts are without hiccup. So I’ll probably pass it along, with due warnings on its performance.

I needed a free Apple Watch to try and see if I would use it enough to buy one. Since I only wear it on weekends / holidays, I really didn’t know if an Apple Watch would be ever worth buying, or worth buying anything more than the low-end or used model.

But the past couple years, I’ve found I love it as a fitness tracker. And the past year, synergized with a calorie counting app, it enabled me to make real health improvements in my life. So I’m looking forward to upgrading to a S6 or S7 this Fall. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It’s an original S3. And it was a free hand-me-down from a friend when he upgraded to a S4 or S5 a couple years ago. So it’s done me well super great! And not used for fitness tracking, it still works fine. And 75% of workouts are without hiccup. So I’ll probably pass it along, with due warnings on its performance.

I needed a free Apple Watch to try and see if I would use it enough to buy one. Since I only wear it on weekends / holidays, I really didn’t know if an Apple Watch would be ever worth buying, or worth buying anything more than the low-end or used model.

But the past couple years, I’ve found I love it as a fitness tracker. And the past year, synergized with a calorie counting app, it enabled me to make real health improvements in my life. So I’m looking forward to upgrading to a S6 or S7 this Fall. :)

Dave,

I keep saying this: I think the Apple Watch is the best product Apple has ever made. Additionally, I love the fact that they have devoted themselves to making it better and more health-functional with each new iteration. We are very close to getting a non-evasive blood sugar measurement capability.

As someone that is on the treadmill and Peloton bike just about every day, I am obsessed with the health tracking and the motivation I receive from ring closings.

I am happy that you discovered a lot of these things and have come to appreciate the device.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is good news. Or good rumors. Or backtracking on previously wrong rumors. Who knows? :)

Either way, better chance I can get a new watch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It looks the rumors were true about production issues. This was year was quite different when it came to introducing the new Apple Watch and then finding out it's not releasing at the same time as the other announced products

Also finding out that Apple is using the same processor as the Series 6. Not a biggie, as that watch is extremely fast

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
4DC71104-BD73-44B8-834A-301A68E9CAAE.jpeg
Too busy enjoying very late summer on our favorite Italian volcanic island, Linosa, to acknowledge my incorrect guess on Apple Watch delays. Surviving over a month with no WiFi or wired Internet — cellular only. My Apple Watch 5 gets much use for hour long “open swims’ in the Mediterranean — the battery life does stink, hope the 7 has (much) better battery life. Our schnauzers say hi

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ted, that's a great picture! Thanks for sharing it.

I don't think the 7 is going to give you increased battery life over the 5. Reason being, with each new iteration of the watch Apple has added battery-draining features such as "always on" and "increased brightness" to the watch without compromising the battery.

You should get 12 hours with the Apple Watch, which quite frankly, isn't bad. There's enough battery life for a day's use.

Some new rumors out suggesting that the Series 7 could go up for preorder next week

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I have a S6 and will likely go to the S7. I use my watch for strava to track my cycling workouts - both indoor and outdoor, for walking, for controlling my music and all sorts of other conveniences. Sure, I may love the freedom and flexibility of Android, but I have to admit that after going to iPhone 12 last year with the 12 Pro, and just upgrading to the 13 Pro Max, it's the watch that will keep me an Apple user, not the phone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a S6 and will likely go to the S7. I use my watch for strava to track my cycling workouts - both indoor and outdoor, for walking, for controlling my music and all sorts of other conveniences. Sure, I may love the freedom and flexibility of Android, but I have to admit that after going to iPhone 12 last year with the 12 Pro, and just upgrading to the 13 Pro Max, it's the watch that will keep me an Apple user, not the phone.

I can relate

The one reason I am locked into the iPhone because of the exceptional watch. Android has nothing that compares as far as I am concerned

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks