What's new

Apple Watch Series 4 Buyers and Owners thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sort of Apple Watch 4 related... a friend got a new Series 4 for Christmas. So he gave me his Series 3, giving me a major surprise upgrade from my wife's Series 0 watch. It's the cellular model (bright red dial), but I don't expect to turn that on (not for $10/mo).

Initial experience is as everyone said last year: the S3 is much faster than the S0, and generally behaves like you'd expect and hope the Apple Watch would.
Let me know if he needs any other friends! :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
@Adam Gregorich

Apple does indeed let you upload your music to their cloud for play later.

Go here: https://www.apple.com/apple-music/

Scroll down a little. “Access your entire iTunes library” and “listen across all your devices”.

To clarify: I’ve done this and can verify it works.

That’s fine but not everyone has a collection of downloaded music.
With these apps you can click on an artist or genre and just listen.

Other then my iPhone I really don’t have anywhere I can dl music to.

Just want to open an app and start playing stuff.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That’s fine but not everyone has a collection of downloaded music.
With these apps you can click on an artist or genre and just listen.

Other then my iPhone I really don’t have anywhere I can dl music to.

Just want to open an app and start playing stuff.
Not sure what the issue is, I was responding to Adam’s question specifically.

And FYI with an Apple Music subscription you have access to the entire Apple Music library. So you can tell Siri to just start playing stuff you don’t own. I do that before going to bed. I own zero smooth jazz CDs. But I can tell my HomePod to “play smooth jazz” and it automagically happens.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Issue?
Wow Carlo jeez.

So no one else can respond since you directed that to Adam?

People who already pay Amazon for their service because they have the Echo devices probably aren't going to pay Apple too.
It would be very nice if there was a simple app for the watch that is Amazon Music.

No Issue.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It sounded like you were criticizing Apple Music for something it does, in my response to something that Adam asked.

Whether or not one chooses to pay for it, is of course a personal choice.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m in the early stages of considering this watch. I’ve got a birthday coming in April. If my wife asks we what I want, I’ll say the new Apple Watch. I’ve got over $100 in prime points on Amazon and some of the watches are there. I know I’ll want GPS only. They have a space grey aluminum with the fabric loop band in the 44 size.

A breathable band is important to me as I tend to develop a sweat rash other a band the seals off my skin from all air.

How scratch resistant is the series 4? What are you guys doing to protect your watch.

We’ve had a lot of medical expenses so overcoming the WAF could be difficult. Wish me luck.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny,

I have never had a scratch on my Apple Watch and I work in a warehouse. I would get a rubber casing like this if you think you are going to bang it around at work or otherwise...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JN8XRTK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get breathable bands as well...

https://www.amazon.com/YOUKEX-iWatc...13&keywords=Apple+Watch+series+4+sports+bands

You will love the watch. Need I say again it's the best product Apple has made?
Thanks for those links and yes I have noted your enthusiasm already. :) I think it’s part of the reason I’m considering the watch. Also the ekg function.

I have a garmin runner’s watch and it has a saphire crystal face. Had it for a year and not a scratch on it. I couldn’t find any mention on apple’s site what the crystal is made of. I tend not to think of the watch i’m wearing and while I don’t do work that would damage it, maybe I might cut a corner tight and bang it.

What’s special about the nike versions? Apparently it has different faces available and a nike app. Couldn’t the app run on a regular apple 4?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny-

I have the stainless steel model Series 4 , I realize it’s the more expensive model and not for everyone. From what I recall of the earlier versions of the Apple Watch, the stainless steel watches have the sapphire crystal. While the others have the gorilla glass. I am going by memory and so this needs to be checked if this is still the case with the Series 4 watches.

As far as protection, I wear a very expensive Swiss watch on my other wrist and use the Apple Watch as my fitness monitor on the other. I tend to protect the Swiss Watch a lot more by just being very careful with it. The Apple Watch i’m trying to do the same. So it has no covers or anything to protect it.i have looked at those silicon covers. I did accidentally bump it against an edge at the work cafeteria counter and left a small mark. I’ll try to polish that out later. It was a bummer, but I’d be crying if it was the Swiss Watch.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny-

I have the stainless steel model Series 4 , I realize it’s the more expensive model and not for everyone. From what I recall of the earlier versions of the Apple Watch, the stainless steel watches have the sapphire crystal. While the others have the gorilla glass. I am going by memory and so this needs to be checked if this is still the case with the Series 4 watches.

As far as protection, I wear a very expensive Swiss watch on my other wrist and use the Apple Watch as my fitness monitor on the other. I tend to protect the Swiss Watch a lot more by just being very careful with it. The Apple Watch i’m trying to do the same. So it has no covers or anything to protect it.i have looked at those silicon covers. I did accidentally bump it against an edge at the work cafeteria counter and left a small mark. I’ll try to polish that out later. It was a bummer, but I’d be crying if it was the Swiss Watch.
My expensive watch will be the Apple. Was the mark left on the crystal or the steel?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have found specs on the apple site stating the watch has “ion-x strenghtened glass” and “saphire crystal and ceramic back.” These are two separate lines. It leaves me wondering. Surely that saphire crystal refers to the face of the watch? Judging front the results with saphire crystal on my garmin, it is very though. I don’t have scratch after a year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny. The mark was left on the steel. The crystal wasn’t touched. One good thing about the steel is you can polish it.

I did a little looking too, the Ion-X Glass is the standard crystal. The stainless steel has the sapphire crystal. My modern Swiss Watch has the sapphire crystal.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hot Spit! The WAF has been conquered. We are getting a hefty tax refund and once it is received, I plan to shop for the watch.

I do want a model with the sapphire crystal, don't plan on using cellular with it. Don't know if I want the Nike model if the only difference is the watch faces. I wonder if the nike app will run on the other models?

The features for an aluminum, 44mm, space grey with sport loop has this info:
Does this mean it has a sapphire crystal? If so, why the reference to the Ion-X glass?

Why should I get stainless steel? Does it scratch less than the aluminum or feel better?

I wonder if they have any dinosaur faces?:P

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don't you just love the choices apple give you? If I want stainless steel I have to get cellular and the SS version starts at $700. I believe the aluminum has a sapphire face and glass back. I think that will be my choice as long as the face is sapphire.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After chatting with apple, the aluminum does not have a sapphire case. To get that I have to go up to SS and that requires cellular, and the price goes from $429 to $699. That sucks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn’t want the cellular either. But I wanted the SS and it was always a premium to get the SS. So you could say the cellular is a delightful bonus. I’ve not used the cellular function yet.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn’t want the cellular either. But I wanted the SS and it was always a premium to get the SS. So you could say the cellular is a delightful bonus. I’ve not used the cellular function yet.
And you get the saphire crystal. I watched a YouTube video where they were scratching the ion glass (it was test glass, not a watch). The used 4 different materials, knife, sandpaper, and damn, I forget the other two. The only thing that scratched the glass was sandpaper. It was also mentioned the ion glass is a little flexible and might be less likely to shatter.

Watched review and it was mentioned the SS versions are glossy and will shows micro abrasions and is to be expected. I have to admit the SS looked very nice.

Nelson, what color did you get? I know I’m going to need a band that breathes.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me

So you have to pay a premium price up front for the watch plus an extra $5-10 a month for cell service for as long as you want to use the watch? That is gonna be one pricey watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, I got the plain SS watch. I figure the Space Black coating on the SS could scratch off if one were to accidentally bump hard against something, though I haven’t seen one. So I don’t know how tough the coating is. I have the Milanese Loop too and it’s not been a problem in terms of breathing. It’s easy to wash or wipe off the loop too. I prefer the plain SS as my mechanical watches are SS too.

I don’t know what to say about the cost, I was joking about premium price. The SS just costs more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks