What's new

Hijack (Apple TV+) (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang!

I thought I would start a discussion about this limited series on Apple TV+.
It stars Idris Elba and...well, that's about it for recognizable names. He really commands the screen whenever he is on.
The rest of the cast is serviceable. None, so far, stand out as being poorly cast or bad actors.

I have only seen the first four episodes (that is all that has been released at this time), and I am enjoying it.
There have been some really strange choices in editing that left me confused. Not sure if it was intentional or just some really bad editing.

Anyway, I would love to hear from those that are watching it and get opinions and feedback!

Thanks.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been watching the series and enjoying it. I haven't seen episode four yet ( I will be watching it with a friend on Friday.) but it is holding up pretty well. The series runs seven episodes with each episode corresponding to one hour of the seven hour flight from Dubai to London, which strikes me as a good concept for the show.

In terms of the editing, I believe that it (at least partially) is done to hide certain elements of the plot line from the audience, delivering story 'crumbs' along the way. It has been effective and hasn't caused me any consternation. While I am in no position to judge the accuracy of the details of flight operation (on the ground or in the air) it has felt credible to date.

Elba is the only actor with whom I am familiar but the cast has been effective and I haven't seen any performances that have taken me out of the series. It is mostly a 'bottle' series with the majority of the run time spent on board flight KA29. I would recommend the show for those interested in a fairly concise, tense dramatic series.

- Walter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It stars Idris Elba and...well, that's about it for recognizable names. He really commands the screen whenever he is on.

No. Seriously? I suppose there's a first time for everything...
;)

I didn't realize this was a series. I was thinking it was movie. At any rate, I'll have to find a way to fit this into the schedule.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
We've been watching, caught up on episode 5 last night. It leaves me wanting more at the end of each episode, which is really my biggest ask of any TV show.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I binged the five released episodes on Thursday night. I can't really say it's a great show, but it definitely pulled me in, and had me on the edge of my seat several times.

Elba is the only actor with whom I am familiar

There are others that are familiar to me.

Eve Myles (Alice, the ATC) played Gwen in Torchwood, and was in Broadchurch and the first season of Victoria.

Christine Adams (Sam's ex-wife) was a regular on Black Lightning, and a recurring character on both Pushing Daisies and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Max Beesley (Daniel, the cop) I knew from a couple of British TV shows back in the day, including a Tom Jones mini-series (he played the title character). A couple of years back, he was in some episodes of the Stephen King mini-series, The Outsider.

Archie Panjabi (Zahra, the Counter-Terrorism gal and Daniel's ex) I know from Snowpiercer (the series) and the British crime dramas Shetland and The Fall.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've seen some of those other programs, but I guess the actors aren't really clicking with me (in terms of recognition). Still enjoying the series.

- Walter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So I watched Ep6 the other night. I went in with the belief that it was the finale (some sites seemed to have the idea that it was six eps, while others said seven), but it became clear fairly early on that there was no way they'd finish it up in this episode. Looking forward to seeing how this all resolves.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The end of Ep. 6 really seemed to come out of nowhere. I guess she’s the backup plan for when everything goes wrong.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Even though it has been a few days, Spoilers for episode 6 follow:

I am not certain, but I don't believe we had seen the individual mentioned in Greg's post previously. I don't recall any camera shots aboard KA29 in which this person was shown. (??)

How inept were the cops trailing the two men in the car? Between the close trailing distance and not realizing that the phone they were given was tracking their (the police) location. Felt like amateur hour.

- Walter.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Even though it has been a few days, Spoilers for episode 6 follow:

I am not certain, but I don't believe we had seen the individual mentioned in Greg's post previously. I don't recall any camera shots aboard KA29 in which this person was shown. (??)

How inept were the cops trailing the two men in the car? Between the close trailing distance and not realizing that the phone they were given was tracking their (the police) location. Felt like amateur hour.
We have seen her before. She’s the woman named Amanda who Sam is comforting right when the hijacking starts. Starting at about the 27 minute mark in Episode 1.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I recall seeing her in previous episodes. Not much was made of her. Certainly not enough to suggest that she might be a cohort. Unlike the older hijacker whose name I can't recall...Terry?...he originally introduced himself as "Marcus" I think...but I was suspicious of him before he told Stuart about the girl finding the bullet.

On the other hand, there were a couple of passengers who looked suspicious that I was thinking might be ringers, but when things got crazy, they turned out to be legit.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Satisfying finale. Not overly surprising, as I can't of how else it could've resolved, but it still managed to be something of a nail-biter.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Ugh. I really wanted to like this series, but in the end, I thought it was terrible.
So many times I had to force myself to ignore the errors in the writing. How can they have what looked like a good budget and a solid cast and wind up with such a goofball ending...bizarre.

Why was the jet out of fuel??? Those have enough fuel to fly for another 50% of their planned trip. No way it would run out of fuel. Plus...why not have the friggen co-pilot land the plane? Why would jet fighters fly 200m behind a jet they plan to shoot down!? They have missiles that can lock on BVR (beyond visual range). So many other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks