What's new

The Apple Watch Ultra owners thread (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the feedback. I'm always curious when I see a pricey product adopted so widely without an obvious "killer" function. Most of the things I've heard you all using the Apple watch for can be achieved with a generic, Bluetooth-enabled watch and most of those can be had for under $100.00. A couple of the features Ron mentioned (replying to text messages and emails) cannot but those don't really interest me anyway.

I'm not judging as each should do what pleases them but I haven't heard a compelling case to own one just yet.
Well, for me, it's like having a small iPhone strapped to my wrist, with almost all of the associated functionality. So much, much more capability than a sub-$100 Bluetooth watch. But, you really need to be bought into Apple's ecosystem to enjoy all of the benefits it provides.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, for me, it's like having a small iPhone strapped to my wrist, with almost all of the associated functionality. So much, much more capability than a sub-$100 Bluetooth watch. But, you really need to be bought into Apple's ecosystem to enjoy all of the benefits it provides.
That make sense and, except for my phone, I am not. I chose an Apple phone because the Carplay experience is so much better than Android Auto. You'd think an "open" system would be better but Google seems to have lost interest in developing AA, as they do with so many things.

I did recently buy a garage door opening solution that work with the Home app. I "may" at some point consider a Homepod mini, since I understand it acts as a Homekit hub, which allows remote access to Home devices.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve set up the Apple Watch Ultra 2 this afternoon. It is bigger than my Series 4. I think I can get used to it, but I do have skinny wrists. :)

I’m not sure I like the Trail Loop as I used the Milanese loop on my Series 4. I may swap the Milanese loop to use on the Ultra 2. I’ve only had this on for 20 minutes so i’m still getting used to the functionality. I’m using the default face, if that is what that is for now. I did notice that when I selected the Workout app, it was very smooth when I scrolled through the different workouts. I like the compass, that’s cool.

This is going to take some time to get used to the new functionality. I’ll be doing a bike ride workout tonight so I’ll have fun watching to see what it displays.
IMG_2676.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’ve set up the Apple Watch Ultra 2 this afternoon. It is bigger than my Series 4. I think I can get used to it, but I do have skinny wrists. :)

I’m not sure I like the Trail Loop as I used the Milanese loop on my Series 4. I may swap the Milanese loop to use on the Ultra 2. I’ve only had this on for 20 minutes so i’m still getting used to the functionality. I’m using the default face, if that is what that is for now. I did notice that when I selected the Workout app, it was very smooth when I scrolled through the different workouts. I like the compass, that’s cool.

This is going to take some time to get used to the new functionality. I’ll be doing a bike ride workout tonight so I’ll have fun watching to see what it displays.
View attachment 207796

I am so happy for you, Nelson. Heck, I love it when someone here gets a new Apple product.

This is one of my favorites.

It looks good on your wrist. Have you tried the double-finger tap to dismiss alerts yet? Though my Ultra 1 was not designed with that feature, it can be enabled through accessibility and it works well. Your Ultra 2 has the feature on by default and it works much better.

Surprisingly, all my watch bands look great with the Ultra from the Milanese to trail loop to sport. What is pissing me off is that rumor suggests with next year's watch (which I intend to buy), Apple is ditching the slide-in bands for magnetic ones which means the large collection I have been amassing over the years will be thrown in the trash.

Have fun, Nelson!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron, I am having fun with it! I have not tried the double tap yet!

So far, the experience with the Ultra 2 has been interesting in that it feels like such a leap from my Series 4. The watch is much smoother when I scroll as I said. when I did my stationary bike ride, it’s like my iPhone 12 is new too as the new workout app displays the heart rate and caloric burn on the iPhone too. I’m not used to the screen being on all the time too!

So much new stuff I’m experiencing now! I’ll be wearing it all day tomorrow, so I’ll have more experience from it. It even warned me about the sound levels! i did try the pulse ox and that works. And the ECG worked right away, on my Series 4, it was iffy at first and eventually stopped working.

I never put too much faith in Apple rumors, but lately, they seem to be more and more true. I rarely read them these days, so I wasn’t aware of magnetic bands, that seems less secure to replace the slide-in bands. I’ll have to look that up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, quick question about the elevation complication. When I first got the watch, and as you can see in the photo in my post above, it shows +8 feet and the red bars are towards the bottom of the bezel. Last night the red bars flipped up to the upper end of the bezel and reads -8 feet.

I guess it works that way that the red bars move to the upper end of the bezel. But I’m not climbing or descending. So did a quick check, the elevation sensor is based on barometric pressure. if that is so, then the current little rainy and windy weather we are experienced last night must be affecting the elevation measurment. it’s showing minus 10 feet now.

Have you guys experienced this?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys, quick question about the elevation complication. When I first got the watch, and as you can see in the photo in my post above, it shows +8 feet and the red bars are towards the bottom of the bezel. Last night the red bars flipped up to the upper end of the bezel and reads -8 feet.

I guess it works that way that the red bars move to the upper end of the bezel. But I’m not climbing or descending. So did a quick check, the elevation sensor is based on barometric pressure. if that is so, then the current little rainy and windy weather we are experienced last night must be affecting the elevation measurment. it’s showing minus 10 feet now.

Have you guys experienced this?

Wish I could help you, Nelson. I don't pay attention to the elevation readings. However, if you find out something definitive, please share as it could prove to be valuable information to us.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ron, thanks. Ok, if I learn anything new, I’ll post my findings.

Right now, I’m at work on the second floor. It shows I’m at + 87 feet. I don’t think I’m that high. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Clinton. :)

I don’t mean to appear obsessed with this elevation feature, but it has had me fascinated with it. It wasn’t a feature I was looking for in the watch. In doing some more reading, it appears other people have had erroneous readings or odd readings too. As far as I can tell so far, the elevation is measured by barometric pressure and the GPS function. And I did not know that using the compass feature in the iPhone, it will tell you your elevation. So I checked, my iPhone right now says my elevation is 10 feet. My Ultra 2 shows 9 feet right now. The reading varies throughout the day. It has to be the air pressure variances that’s altering the reading on the watch. So perhaps the iPhone is a good secondary device to reference for the elevation. I’ll check the iphone’s elevation reading the next time I go out to another location.

As the weather was so wonky the last two days with the wind and ocean waves crashing into the California coast, I figure the barometer would be very active!

Onto the other features, yesterday I had the watch on all day. I went to the office for work and walked up and down the two floors of the building walking the stairs and between two building and the watch did record that I climbed two stories. That was good! And of course it recorded all the steps and how much I walked. I came to rely on those features on the Series 4 watch, so I’m glad that’s continuing to work. So all the things I used my series 4 is continuing as I expected on the Ultra 2.

I did my starionary bike work-out last night and again, I wasn’t used to being able to open the iPhone and see the specs of my active calories and heart rate were showing in the phone.

I did get several texts and with the larger screen, I was able to read most of the message on the watch.

I’m using the default Ultra 2 watch face right now, I’ll use it for now. But I do miss my old face that would show the second hand so I can track the seconds too. So far, I have no regrets and I’ll keep on using the watch and adapt as I go along.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's the best explanation I've found of what happened regarding Masimo. I don't know why Apple didn't just buy the company outright. Then I'd own an Apple AV10 pre/pro.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the feedback. I'm always curious when I see a pricey product adopted so widely without an obvious "killer" function. Most of the things I've heard you all using the Apple watch for can be achieved with a generic, Bluetooth-enabled watch and most of those can be had for under $100.00. A couple of the features Ron mentioned (replying to text messages and emails) cannot but those don't really interest me anyway.

I'm not judging as each should do what pleases them but I haven't heard a compelling case to own one just yet.
This is like saying everything you get from a nice restaurant can be had from a $1.99 loaf of wonder bread and a glass of tap water. I mean, yeah sure, but life isn't always just about mere sustenance. :)

This is fine. I have friends with brand new $80k to $100k Teslas. I don't derive that much value from a car to be worth spending that much. But I also don't say that there's nothing different between my 8 year old Subaru and a brand new high end EV.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This is like saying everything you get from a nice restaurant can be had from a $1.99 loaf of wonder bread and a glass of tap water. I mean, yeah sure, but life isn't always just about mere sustenance. :)

This is fine. I have friends with brand new $80k to $100k Teslas. I don't derive that much value from a car to be worth spending that much. But I also don't say that there's nothing different between my 8 year old Subaru and a brand new high end EV.
Not to be argumentative but the examples you've identified above are mostly subjective in nature. I never said there was no difference but was asking for functional qualities which might explain the popularity of the Apple watch over a [cheaper] generic Bluetooth watch. Having never owned the Apple variant, it was a legitimate question. My "no judgement" disclaimer was meant to explain the exact points you've made.

Also, I love cars [not Tesla's] and spend way more than I probably should in that area, so I definitely get where you're coming from. :cool:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Open question.

I have a run of the mill Bluetooth-enabled smart watch [several, actually], and aside from reading text messages find it of little use. Would an actual Apple watch be significantly more functional? If so, how?
I have an Apple Watch 8 that my doctor suggested I buy to monitor health issues. At the time I was having a lot of heart arrhythmia problems that were eventually diagnosed as A/Fib. The watch allowed me to check my heart rate and doe EKGs whenever I felt like something was amiss. After I started receiving treatment I was able to see my A/Fib rate decline from 19% to zero.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Re: pulse ox, I had to check, it’s still working on mine. :)
IMG_2757.jpeg

My fear was Apple will send out an Order 666 to deactivate the pulse-ox feature all Apple Watches out there.

And over the weekend, I was listening to some music from the iPhone playing to a Homepod. Always fun to see this show up on the watch.
IMG_2756.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks