1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Watch Series 4 Buyers and Owners thread

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Carlo Medina, Sep 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #201 of 218 Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I’m going to start listing observations about the functionality of the watch. I hope I can do them all here in this post.
    —Calendar—If I set up an appointment with my iPhone, ipad, or Mac, they will show on my watch, I think. However, when i bought a ticket through the AMC app and granted it’s request to record it in my Calandar, it did not make it too my watch. At least not to my watch face. I notice on my ipad that the appointed has the diagonal “shading” lines on it.

—Ring Doorbell—My phone would chime when motion was detected, now the watch gives a quick sound and the phone does not.

—Alexa Reminders—I set up a reminder that was a couple of minutes away. That didn’t make it into my watch. Then I did 20 minute delay and that did. Both my watch dinged and Alexa announced. So the watch doesn’t override the announcement like it does for Ring.

—-Mickey & Minnie—As mentioned before, when this face is active, tap on the crystal and the character announced the time.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    If you get gas at Exxon regularly, have a look st their app. I use it weekly.

Exxon Mobil Speedpass+ by Exxon Mobil Corporation
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exxon-mobil-speedpass/id668175318?mt=8

Clinton McClure likes this.
  3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Got it Clinton. It is pretty messed up that only one merchant required the pin.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    DaveF likes this.
  5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    This is nothing new but Apple has a serious customer service attitude that I don't like. The latest example is my watch. On a mostly dark screen, I noticed cloudy formations on the screen. On my unlock screen for the password, it's very noticeable.

I chatted with apple support this morning. The only option is to replace the watch, only the watch and none of the accessories like the band. It has to be returned via mail, even if I go into the store, they will only assist with the return of the watch, the store will not replace it.

I chose the express option, which means they send the new watch first, then I return the old watch. In the meantime, there's a hold on my CC for the the price of the watch. The csr said apple manufactures watches specifically for replacements. It will not come in a retail box but it is a new watch (yeah, right). I specifically asked if it would be a refurbished watch and he said no.

If they are providing a new watch, why wouldn't it be in a retail box? They manufacture watches specifically for replacement? Yeah, right, again.

And to make it just a little more difficult I was required to unpair the watch before the order could be processed. He did tell me I could repair the watch after processing the order.

What happened to going into the store and getting a faulty product replaced.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Did you call the store and verify? When I bought my MacBook Pro a year and a half ago, the first unit I got had some issues. Took it back to the Apple Store (even though I bought it online) and they swapped it out for a new one, no problem. In my experience their customer service has always been MUCH better than any other big tech company I've dealt with.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I did not do that and the process is started. At least it saves me a trip to the store. That line about “manufactured for replacement” just doesn’t make sense.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I think you should take it up with Tim Apple. :D

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 2.19.19 PM.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
  10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    It makes perfect sense to me. Some companies manufacture "strictly for replacement" items, especially for high demand products because they realize there will be a number of defective units which will require replacement. These are held in reserve to ensure the stores do not run out of new units to be used for warranty replacements. It is actually very smart business sense.

Concerning Apple shipping you a new Watch in a non-retail box, that is standard operating procedure for them.

If you happen to find yourself in the Chenal Apple Store needing to speak with someone at the Genius Bar, ask for Dan. He is a good friend of mine and I trust him implicitly.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I got my replacement watch yesterday and got it working this morning. I went for a walk and used the workout app. I had set it up on my iPhone to pause automatically when I stopped walking. That happens when you have a dog with you. The app never paused. I checked my iPhone later and I did have auto pause turned on. I don’t why it didn’t work, I had it working with the first watch.

So I played around a little with apps. Not much more than opening an app to see what it does. I’ve seen no way to close an app, just return to the app screen. Is the watch managing the apps? Is only one at a time running?

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I got a replacement watch because I noticed clouds on my lock screen. With the new watch I set it up and checked the lock screen and there was no cloudiness. This morning when putting on my new watch I saw clouds again. I visited the apple community forums and found a thread from 2015 (might have been more recent threads) which was covering exactly what I had.

The fix was to turn on Reduce Transparency in the iPhone Watch app. I did that and the clouds are gone. One person thought that the transparency was so that underlying screens could be seen. I have not experienced any instance when an underlying screen could be seen.

13. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Johnny, when transparency is set at the default you can indeed see ”ghosts” of whatever is on the underlying display. That’s the whole point of transparency, and it is working exactly as designed. I think you may have misinterpreted this as a display defect. It isn’t.

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Well...the clouds don't look anything like an underlying screen. What screens could be underlying? The ghost screen looks nothing like any screen I've seen. The watch appears to me to be one screen at a time system. You are probably right but that means apple could do a better job training it's csr's. Mine could have saved apple the trouble of replacing my watch by informing me of this

I stated above that turning on Reduce Transparency fixed it, but that is no longer true. I've seen the clouds again. My big worry was that I had a defective screen, and now it appears I don't. I'm not going to worry about it.

15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    That picture represents what I’ve been seeing, but make it a little more amorphous. A little more cloudy.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    When I first got my watch, I used the workout app to monitor my walks with Scarla, my dog. I’ve got a dog, don’t we all, that likes to stop and sniff and maybe post a message or two or... So lots of stopping and starting. The first time (and I think the second time) the app automatically paused (and announced it) the workout. Now it doesn’t. I think it stopped even with my first watch and second watch doesn’t pause either.

Looking at the apple forums there’s no absolutely positive indicator, but the prevailing idea is that it only works for running. If this is so, why did auto pause work at first? I’ll keep searching for a solution if there is one.

18. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Yes, that pic clearly shows the analog hands on the watch face behind the keypad buttons, and is a perfect example of transparency being turned on. This is absolutely normal, and is working as the feature was designed.