What's new

What series do you want so badly you would be willing to pay a premium price? (1 Viewer)

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
Keeping my list short:

Elvis (1980) single season half-hour drama about the early years of Elvis as a young man in Memphis just starting to perform and record - NOT ON DISC IN ANY FORM
Shannon's Deal (1990-1991) short-lived legal drama created by John Sayles
Peter Gunn remastered from original film elements.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
And another “guilty” pleasure…
The Rat Patrol
Eric Braedon as the Rommel look nazi nemesis “Hans Dietrich” for Christopher George…And he’s still going strong starring in “The Young & the Restless” daily…Almost sixty years on television!!!

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Inspired by a post of Neal 1960's on the Defenders thread. There have been many discussions of "grail" series, but for this thread I thought it might be interesting to discuss in terms of what series you would be willing to pay what might seem an unreasonable amount for. If there was a hypothetical boutique label, releasing a limited edition of an otherwise very unlikely title to be released. If, say, someone had located a complete run of something like 90 Bristol Court or For The People and was willing to do the necessary licensing and remastering. Is there a show that you want so badly that you would pay $100 or even $200-$300 for a single season?

If coughing up $100 for another season of the Defenders would get the series unstalled, I could see doing that.
Myself and all my friends who collect TV Western series would pay top dollar for Season 2 & 3 of Paradise/Guns of Paradise (Warners on Demand only released the first 2 seasons. Also would pay top dollar for Trackdown, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Colt .45 (last of the great Warner series westerns and The Alaskans.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Ok Alan. Happy to have inspired you. Now I'll start this one off. I'd pay a lot for The Defenders, not sure how much. I'm thinking about that. I'd fork over a chunk of change for a complete series release of Jack Benny and Lassie. I'll get back here for others, I know there are others. View attachment 112081
Myself and all my friends who collect TV Western series would pay top dollar for Season 2 & 3 of Paradise/Guns of Paradise (Warners on Demand only released the first 2 seasons). Also would pay top dollar for Trackdown, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Colt .45 (last of the great Warner series westerns and The Alaskans.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
These, if they were complete, unedited and restored/remastered:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents[/B]/Hitchcock Hour/Suspicion (surviving episodes) + Ford Startime: "Incident on a Corner"

Also:

"The Jail," an episode of Alcoa Premiere (aka Fred Astaire's Premiere Theatre, hosted by Fred Astaire), a sci-fi tale written by Ray Bradbury starring John Gavin and Barry Morse. "An Alfred Hitchcock Production." Mostly same production crew as series. Directed by Associate Producer Norman Lloyd. Music score by John(ny) Williams. © Shamley Productions.

Note that Hitchcock only produced (and directed one of) ten episodes of Suspicion. (These are © Shamley Productions.) The rest have no connection with Hitchcock and are © Revue.

Then Universal can release the remake Alfred Hitchcock Presents series, which includes 32 remakes of Hitchcock episodes (almost half the new series) and a remake of a radio play. Some of the half-hour remakes of hour episodes actually come out better than the original. Some of the original episodes are good or at least interesting including a James Bond spoof (starring George Lazenby, "Diamonds Aren't Forever") and the final episode, a spoof of Hitchcock productions ("South by Southeast").

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
If premium price really means $100 a season, then my answer at present would have to be nothing. Simply because I'm clearly not as rich as most everyone else posting in this thread. I don't have the income that would allow me to pay that kind of money for anything vintage at this point in life. Kids, grandkids coming, and other facts of life conspire to keep me on the lower end of disposable income presently.

Now, if Publisher's Clearing House comes knocking at my door at some point in the future, all bets are off. So in that fantasy world I'd be willing to pay more for the following few shows:

Lassie (all seasons)
Boston Blackie (and almost all the other ZIV shows)
Amos & Andy
Disney
vintage output (especially the original MMC and all the weekly shows/serials)
Petticoat Junction
Love, American Style

Richard Diamond, and all the Four Star Westerns not yet released
Jungle Jim
Rescue 8
Screen Gems Westerns
(all of them)
Bachelor Father
City Detective
Follow the Sun
The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters

Noah's Ark (if it could be found)
and finally...
every 50's and early 60's Western (either released for the first time, or cleaned up/remastered in HD from previous releases)

Gary "but again, that's only if I have legit money coming in - right now it's a pipe dream" O.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Probably dating myself here, but there have only been a handful of TV shows in my life that I've enjoyed enough to own.

In the wee early days, some cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the original Duck Tales, Mighty Max would be nice to have high quality at least 1080p scans of the original masters.

Live action-wise the first series I ever bought was Firefly. I have the 1080p version but it could really use a 4k HDR remastered release.

There are also a few older anime titles that I would pay Japanese blu ray collection prices for if they included the English dubs for nostalgia - specifically 'Love Hina' and 'Trigun' come to mind but there are probably a few others. I've found that a number of series I enjoyed from the 1990's to late 2000's when I was more into anime do have blu ray sets in Japan but they are usually around $300-600 for a 1-season show, don't include the English dub audio track, and often don't have any extra episodes that the US DVD boxed sets may have so I've held off. I imagine for licensing or projected lack of interest reasons, these are often not released by American licensees so I just hold on to my 20+ year old DVD sets and keep hoping.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Ellery Queen (needs a redo to fix the goof on the pilot movie credits)
If you're referring to the dubbing of the Mystery Movie theme over the Ellery Queen theme, that was hardly a "goof" (which could be forgiven). That was done deliberately and someone got paid to do it.
While they're at it, they can remove the syndicated "Too Many Suspects" opening and restore the audio of the Universal logo.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I don't think anyone said SCTV or Saturday Night Live, two shows hurt my music licensing fees.
Love SCTV and noticed a episode on Youtube that is not on any of their box sets. It would be nice if Shout Factory can find enough shows for another box set release.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gomer Pyle USMC uncut and unedited for music
Mayberry RFD Season 2&3
and the last 2 seasons of Head of the Class

Lasermanfan

Agent
Real Name
Tyson
I'd be willing to pay any price to see released the following...especially if unedited (original bumpers and promos intact) and remastered for Blu-Ray/1080p!

Hanna-Barbera:
The Ruff and Reddy Show
The Huckleberry Hound Show (seasons 2-4)
The Quick Draw McGraw Show
The Fantastic Four (1967)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour
Cattanooga Cats
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972)
These Are the Days
The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show
The Mumbly Cartoon Show
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (season 2)
CB Bears (1 hr.)
Skatebirds (1 hr.)
Yogi's Space Race (90 mins./1 hr.)
Jana of the Jungle
The New Fred and Barney Show
Casper and the Angels
The Thing
The New Shmoo
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (volumes 2-3)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980) (90 mins./1 hr.)
Smurfs (seasons 2-9)
Trollkins
Jokebook
The Gary Coleman Show
Wildfire

Ruby-Spears:
Fangface
Mighty Man and Yukk
Rickety Rocket
The Plastic Man/Baby Plas Super Comedy Show
Heathcliff and Marmaduke
Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983)
Mister T (seasons 2-3)
Police Academy: The Animated Series (volume 2)

Paramount Television:
Seven in Darkness (TV movie)
The Silent Gun (TV movie)
Quarantined (TV movie)
Weekend of Terror (TV movie)
Assault on the Wayne (TV movie)
Dr. Cook's Garden (TV movie)
Terror in the Sky (TV movie)
Women in Chains (TV movie)
Night of Terror (TV movie)
The Heist (TV movie)
The Weekend Nun (TV movie)
Poor Devil (TV movie)
Call to Danger (TV movie)
A Time for Love (TV movie)
Love, American Style (seasons 2-5)
Funny Face/The Sandy Duncan Show
Me and the Chimp
Love Story (TV series)
Paper Moon (TV series)
Archer (1975 TV series)
Kate McShane
The Cop and the Kid
Serpico (TV series)
Blansky's Beauties
Szysznyk
Mulligan's Stew
Who's Watching the Kids?
Brothers and Sisters
$weepstake$
Out of the Blue (1979 TV series)
Working Stiffs
Struck by Lightning
The Associates (U.S. TV series)
Goodtime Girls
Foul Play (TV series)
Madame's Place
Star of the Family (1982 TV series)
The Renegades (1983 TV series)
Ryan's Four
Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
Call to Glory
Mr. Sunshine
Gung Ho (TV series)
Bronx Zoo
Duet/Open House
Day by Day
Brooklyn Bridge

~Ben
I remember "Out of the blue" 1979 TV series. I think it only lasted 8 episodes.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
All the “Evenings with Fred Astaire” featuring then partner/paramour Barrie Chase…And “Mary’s Incredible Dream”, the first special touted to have cost over a million (1970’s) dollars starring Mary Tyler Moore with Ben Vereen & Manhattan Transfer…It only aired once and I can still remember at it’s close, my parents looking at one another in disbelief…

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
It's extremely unlikely if not impossible that we will ever get these two shows on Region 1 Blu, but one can hope:

"L.A. Law" (1986-1994; 2002 TV movie) - but only if it were remastered in HD. The first three seasons are on Region 1 DVD, but the first season has awful PQ, though S02-S03 are somewhat better. So, I would pay a premium price for all the seasons & the TV movie, but only if the PQ for all of the content was as good as it could possibly get.

"Midnight Caller" (1988-1991) - underrated TV series that has never had a physical media release, not even in the VHS/LD days. The only way to watch this now is via crummy streams. I would also pay good $ for this in HD - but, again, only if the PQ/sound were remastered & only if there were no music/song replacements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks