What's new

What Remaining TV Westerns Do You Want to See Released? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have this set from Elephant Films . the PQ is not remastered but its more than watchable . much better than Branded . i’ve only watched a few eps. but i like what i’ve seen so far . definitely not a traditional western (ie. from the late 50’s/early 60’s) and def. a product of the late 60’s but they’re still plenty of shoot-em-ups.
Elephant Films released The Outcasts, not Outlaws, 2 entirely different series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The number one Western I would like would be the Roy Rogers Show. It was frequently on TV (in syndicated prints I suppose) for years. The other top non"Adult" Westerns (Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, and The Lone Ranger) have been available in some form. Other than pd releases with scattered episodes, the Roy Rogers Show has never seen a formal release.

p.s. I joined HTF on April 1, 2009. Here's to so many making it through the aforementioned 10 year fued. I enjoy all of your posts, and I believe that we're all fortunate to have these wonderful shows (and films) to keep us engaged and intrigued as the years pass.
Roy Rogers Show fell into public domain which means no one would bother spending the money to remaster the series from the 35mm elements, if those elements could even be located at this point.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
“I've been obsessing about OUTLAWS (1960) lately, which I find to be a truly remarkable series, particularly that first season. I'm hard-pressed to think of a classic TV western as dark or (occasionally) violent as this one. With a two-season run and some high-profile guest stars, one would think it a decent candidate for release, but I know nothing about the licensing situation (NBC/Universal?) or condition of elements.

I'd also love to see THE OUTCASTS get out there. The quality of the French release from a couple years ago sounds questionable.”

I have this set from Elephant Films . the PQ is not remastered but its more than watchable . much better than Branded . i’ve only watched a few eps. but i like what i’ve seen so far . definitely not a traditional western (ie. from the late 50’s/early 60’s) and def. a product of the late 60’s but they’re still plenty of shoot-em-ups.

Elephant Films released The Outcasts, not Outlaws, 2 entirely different series.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Trackdown (1957-59)

~Ben

I watched most of the episodes of Trackdown on Heroes and Icons. The episodes looked beautifully remastered from 35mm and I hoped a video release would follow. Seems like they went to a lot of trouble to remaster a show for an antenna channel.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
My guess it would be Tales of Wells Fargo very underrated western series of early television has yet to see a tsod release.maybe shout factory could looked into this tv western gem.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
With the recent "crystal ball" thread that indicates that we'll be getting (barring any complications) a cluster of Fox and Four Star westerns sometime in the near future, including one of my "holy grails", The Westerner, I've been thinking about what's left, as far as what I'd still be interested in owning. There still seems to be some life in the genre, in terms of further DVD releases. I like TV westerns, in general, although I'm particular as far as which series capture my imagination enough that I'd actually shell out money for them and would be viewed more than once.

While they have their fans, and I'm sure they have several stand-out episodes, I've never really gotten into Bonanza, Wagon Train, The Virginian or The Big Valley, for instance. While I've heard of them, I've never seen The Loner, Laramie or some of the Warner Bros westerns (Lawman, Colt 45, Sugarfoot), nor The Iron Horse, so the jury's still out on those. Seven unreleased western series interest me, however--

Wanted:

1.) Trackdown (1957-59 / b&w / 30 mins / 2 seasons / 70 episodes) - Fox (Four Star)
Starring Robert Culp

2.) Wichita Town (1959-60 / b&w / 30 mins / 1 season / 26 episodes) - Mirisch/Four Star
Starring Joel McCrea & Jody McCrea

3.) Klondike (1960-61 / b&w / 30 mins / 1 season / 17 episodes) - MGM (Ziv)
Starring Ralph Taeger & James Coburn

4.) Shotgun Slade (1959-61 / b&w / 30 mins / 2 seasons / 78 episodes) - Universal
Starring Scott Brady

5.) The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters (1963-64 / b&w / 60 mins / 1 Season / 26 episodes) - Warner Bros (MGM)
Starring Kurt Russell & Charles Bronson

6.) The Outlaws (1960-62 / b&w (S1) and color (S2) / 60 mins / 2 seasons / 50 episodes) - NBC/Universal
Starring Barton MacLane, Don Collier & Slim Pickins

7.) The Outcasts (1968-69 / color / 60 mins / 1 season / 26 episodes) - Sony
Starring Don Murray & Otis Young

Continuing:

The Rifleman (Seasons 3-5) - Levy-Gardner-Laven (it looks pretty favorable that the entire run will be out in the next couple of years)

Stalled/Abandoned:

Zane Grey Theatre (Seasons 4 & 5) - Fox (Four Star)

I already own:

Gunsmoke (Seasons 1-11)
Zane Grey Theatre (Seasons 1-3)
Have Gun - Will Travel (complete)
Maverick (complete)
The Rifleman (Seasons 1 & 2)
Wanted: Dead or Alive (complete)
Yancy Derringer (complete)
Rawhide (complete)
Shotgun Slade (2 discs of a handful of public domain episodes)
Tate (complete)
Stoney Burke (complete)
The Dakotas (complete)
The Wild, Wild West (complete)
Lonesome Dove (the original 4-part mini-series)
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (complete)
Deadwood (complete)
The Broken Trail (2-part mini-series)

How about you?
I to see Warner's release seasons 2 & 3 of the 1980s TV western "Paradise & Guns of Paradise" as the last season was renamed.
Colt. 45 (1957-1960) with Wayde Preston
Tales of the Texas Rangers (1955-1958) with Willard Parker, Harry Lauter
Trackdown (1957-1959) Robert Culp
The Alaskans (1959-1960) with Roger Moore, Dorothy Provine, Jeff York
The Outlaws with Barton MacLane, Don Collier & Slim Pickins
Hotel de Paree (1959) with Earl Holliman
Johnny Ringo (1959-1960) with Don Durant, Mark Goddard, Karen Sharpe
Black Saddle (1959-1960) with Peter Breck

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I to see Warner's release seasons 2 & 3 of the 1980s TV western "Paradise & Guns of Paradise" as the last season was renamed.
Colt. 45 (1957-1960) with Wayde Preston
Tales of the Texas Rangers (1955-1958) with Willard Parker, Harry Lauter
Trackdown (1957-1959) Robert Culp
The Alaskans (1959-1960) with Roger Moore, Dorothy Provine, Jeff York
The Outlaws with Barton MacLane, Don Collier & Slim Pickins
Hotel de Paree (1959) with Earl Holliman
Johnny Ringo (1959-1960) with Don Durant, Mark Goddard, Karen Sharpe
Black Saddle (1959-1960) with Peter Breck
Paradise (1988-1990) with Lee Horsley
Tales of Wells Fargo (1957-1962) with Dale Robertson
Iron Horse (1966-1968) with Dale Robertson

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
All six seasons are streaming in HD on STARZ Encore. The question is whether someone could/would still see a benefit to licensing and releasing these to physical media.
I think yes maybe Shout Factory would be great to licences and releasing these for the first time it's a benefit for classic tv fans new old would be a treasure.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Iron Horse (1966-1968) with Dale Robertson

A few years back Sony was ready to release this series, but backed out at the last second. I think less than stellar elements might have been the problem. Either that or rights issues. Can't remember.

Gary "I was certainly looking forward to the release at the time - and will purchase if it's ever released" O.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
26 Men was never released due to stellar elements was defintly the real reason why it was never released.and Colt 45 was never released as well.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Still waiting to see Temple Houston 26 episodes (WB) starring Jeffrey Hunter and Jack Elam 1963-64 (NBC)
The Road West 1966-67 (Universal) starring Barry Sullivan, Glenn Corbett, Kathryn Hays, Andrew Prime, etc. 29 episodes (NBC).
Would like to see The Road West, like all those actors. We sadly lost Prine recently.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Would like to see The Road West, like all those actors. We sadly lost Prine recently.
Didn't universal go back through their archives and digitalize their library? Road west has always been a head scratcher to me. It's like it doesn't exist.

Trackdown also makes no sense why it hasn't gotten a release. Even for streaming. Iron horse is on crackle.

Colt 45 must have a music issue holding it up.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
1669292004703.png

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Only 2 episodes but saw it at Walmart. It was released in 2019. Did anyone buy this and could they speak on the quality of it? I have the whole series somewhere but those recordings were very old. First season was excellent. Second was typical of shows of that era.
s-l1600 (15).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks