What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Toy Story 3 (Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Toy Story 3 (Blu-ray Combo Pack)
Directed by Lee Unkrich

Studio: Disney
Year:
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 103 minutes
Rating: G
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, 5.1 ES English; Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Spanish, French
Subtitles: SDH, French, Spanish

Region: A
MSRP: $ 45.99

Release Date: November 2, 2010

Review Date: October 28, 2010 

The Film

5/5

That Pixar magic – the blend of action, humor, and heart – comes gloriously to the fore once again in Toy Story 3. Usually, the third film in a sequel franchise spells trouble for a studio (think The Return of the Jedi, The Godfather Part III, Shrek the Third, for example, all decent films but nothing to compare with their illustrious predecessors), but Toy Story 3 is just as funny, just as adventure-filled, and just as heartfelt as either of the earlier movies in the series, and it’s possible that this third one may be the best, at least in terms of deepening the intensity of the bonds that hold us viewers close to these amazing animated creations. There is never a wrong move made in this movie: we zip back and forth between two different plotlines with each as intriguing and suspenseful as the other. And the satisfaction we achieve at the end of this journey is palpable, a genuinely moving and gleeful end and beginning, all at the same time.

Andy (John Morris) is going off to college, and the toys in his room are all deeply concerned that it’s the end of the road for them. Though Andy does choose to take Woody (Tom Hanks) with him on his collegiate journey, the other toys are placed in a bag destined for the attic, but in a tragic misunderstanding, they find themselves first on the street waiting for garbage pick-up and then on their way to Sunnyside, a day care center which has two playrooms: the Butterfly Room for the older children and the Caterpillar Room for the more rambunctious toddlers. King of the hill at Sunnyside is Lotso (Ned Beatty), a plush strawberry-scented bear who rules the roost along with cohorts Big Baby and a Barbie-less Ken doll (Michael Keaton). Lotso has his gullible new influx of toys assigned to the Caterpillar Room where they’re manhandled and abused to within an inch of their lives. It’s then that they realize they’re in effect confined to a prison camp and doing hard labor, at least until Woody, who had earlier left them to return to Andy, can sneak back in and try to save them.

With many splendid opportunities for the toys to relate to one another and to the new cast of characters they meet at Sunnyside, the writers have a field day in coming up with a variety of adventures for the lovable playthings. From the riotous opening where Woody, Jessie (Joan Cusack), and Buzz (Tim Allen) find themselves heroically trying to rescue a train of abducted children to the hair-raising sequences of escape from one jail only to find the alternatives even more terrifying and deadly, the driving impetus of the film never lets up, all terrifically supervised by director Lee Unkrich. The sheer numbers of toys and children that these animators are dealing with throughout the movie are simply staggering, and the animation has achieved now such a degree of sophistication that special moments such as when Buzz gets switched to Spanish mode (with hilarious flamenco poses) or the gang faces imminent death in alternately a garbage compactor, chopper, and incinerator outdoes just about anything this side of a Spielberg epic. It’s marvelous, masterful filmmaking at its absolute peak of creativity and charm.

All of the familiar voices from previous films are back (Wallace Shawn as Rex, John Ratzenberger as Hamm, Jodi Benson as Barbie along with stars Hanks, Allen, and Cusack) and doing their usual sterling jobs with the Potato Heads (Don Rickles, Estelle Harris) being given more screen time in this movie than in the past. Of the new characters, the standouts are, of course, new villain Lotso played by Ned Beatty with a smarmy, sadistic glee recalling Wallace Beery in The Big House (given the circumstances, an apt comparison) and the hilariously vain but also frighteningly viperous Ken of Michael Keaton.

Video Quality

5/5

The film has been framed at 1.78:1 and is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. The movie was presented in many 3D engagements in theaters, and that extra sense of dimensional richness carries over even in this 2D high definition transfer. Colors are beautifully represented with never any bleeding or blooming, and there is absolutely no banding that might distract from the reference quality visuals on display. Once again, a Pixar film makes a gorgeous high definition debut with such astonishing detail in the animation that you honestly feel that you could touch the characters. The film has been divided into 34 chapters.

Audio Quality

5/5

There are two DTS-HS Master Audio sound mixes available for choosing: 7.1 and 5.1 ES. Using the 7.1 mix for the basis of this review, I found that the sound design is simply sensational with activity in all the surround channels wonderfully conveyed in a deep and immersive fashion. When necessary, the LFE channel gets some deep bass signals to rattle the windows, and the dialogue remains beautifully recorded and solidly entrenched in the center channel. Randy Newman’s score gets excellent spread through all available channels as well.

Special Features

5/5

Day & Night is the splendid short which preceded Toy Story 3 in theaters. A combination of line and computer animation techniques with an imaginative pantomime motif, this superb Teddy Newton-directed short is presented in 1080p and DTS-HD Master Audio sound. It runs 6 minutes.

“Buzz Lightyear Mission Logs: The Science of Adventure” is a very brief and generic featurette with the action figure accompanying astronauts to the International Space Station and what he learned there about zero gravity and the speed of travel in space. It runs 4 ½ minutes in 1080p.

“Toys!” gives a bit of background on the subtle changes in the classic characters in this third film given the advances in computer animation technology since the original Toy Story was produced. It runs 6 ¾ minutes in 1080p.

Disc one contains 1080p trailers for Cars 2, A Christmas Carol, Tangled, Santa Paws, Bambi, Mater’s Tall Tales, and The Incredibles

The majority of the bonus features are contained on disc two in the set. They’re all in 1080p.

Cine-Explore offers the film once again but this time with commentary by director Lee Unkrich and producer Darla Anderson with drawings, storyboards, and animation and other video appearing in PiP windows while the movie is playing. The viewer may also choose an alternate commentary track with story supervisor Jason Katz, technical director Guido Quaroni, production designer Bob Pauley, and animators Bobby Podesta and Michael Venturini. A fair amount of information is repeated from one track to another, but fans will want to hear both.

“Roundin’ Up a Western Opening” is a brief featurette about different ideas for the movie’s western opening including the first attempt at a Sergio Leone-style opening which was deemed too slow. This runs 5 ¾ minutes.

“Bonnie’s Playtime: A Story Roundtable” shows how different pitches for the Bonnie’s playroom segment of the movie were made until the best of all the ideas was utilized for the final work. This runs 6 ½ minutes.

“Beginnings: Setting a Story in Motion” is an 8 ¼-minute featurette detailing the way Pixar writers have structured screenplays for three previous smash hits: Toy Story, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo. Screenwriter Michael Arndt then applies those precepts to his script for the film.

“Life of a Shot” finds many Pixar artisans discussing their ideas which were incorporated into the exciting opening of the movie. This runs 7 minutes.

“Goodbye Andy” approaches the movie’s tenderest sequences as Andy says goodbye to the toys with interviews with actor John Morris, the director, and the animators who discuss advances in animating human characters since the original Toy Story. This runs 8 minutes.

“Accidental Toymakers” is a 4-minute look at the offshoot industry of toy creation generated by the original Toy Story film and its sequels.

“Making of Day & Night is a very brief 2-minute look at director Teddy Newton’s vision for his short, an oddity that exemplifies Pixar’s approach to creative filmmaking.

“Paths to Pixar: Editorial” focuses on a series of Pixar editors who have moved up through the company into important positions on various films. It runs 4 ¾ minutes.

“The Gang’s All Here” introduces us to the voice cast for the movie, old faces as well as new ones, who come to the studio to record their dialogue. It runs 10 ½ minutes.

“A Toy’s Eye View: Creating a Whole New Land” examines the new Toy Story-inspired rides in a new playland at the Disney theme part in Hong Kong. It runs 5 ½ minutes.

Studio Stories are three brief featurettes with some fun tales about life at Pixar, all of them animated in 2D line animation with voiceovers by various Pixar personnel.

• “Where’s Gordon” involves a secret room animator Andrew Gordon discovered and made for himself. This runs 2 ¼ minutes.
  • “Cereal Bar” acquaints us with the free Pixar cereal bar where the artists go frequently to have any brand and kind of cereal imaginable. It runs 1 ¾ minutes.
  • “Clean Start” discusses the animators who had a contest at the start of production by shaving their hair and beards and seeing who could go the longest without shaving again. It runs 3 ¼ minutes.

“Epilogue” is the 4 ½-minute sequence which plays during the closing credits with the credits removed.

The following publicity materials are provided in their own section on the disc.

• “Grab Bag” is 3D promos for the movie running 4 minutes.
  • “Ken’s Dating Tips” offers three dating tips from Ken running 1 ¾ minutes.
  • “Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear commercials are one English and one Japanese language version of the pseudo TV ads produced in 480i to simulate 1983 broadcasts. (½- minute each)
  • “The Making of the Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear Commercial” shows the 1080p footage aged to appear a quarter century old running 1 ½ minutes.
  • An internet chat promo runs 1 minute
  • A security camera promo runs 1 ½ minutes
  • A gadgets promo runs 1 minute
  • Dancing with the Stars at Pixar” has professional dancers Tony Dovolani and Cheryl Burke dancing for the cameras for the animators to use for the Buzz/Jessie dance sequence.
  • Two PSA trailers for silence and antipiracy are presented. The former runs ¾ minute while the latter runs 1 minute.
  • A teaser trailer runs 1 ¾ minutes.
  • Two trailers run 2 ½ minutes each.
  • Two Japanese trailers run 1 and 2 ¾ minutes respectively.
  • The four new characters in the movie get introductions in a montage that runs 2 ¼ minutes.
  • The poster gallery offers twenty-five posters for the film for mthe viewer to step through.

Toy Story Trivia Dash is an interactive game for two players where trivia questions must be answered to proceed though the race course. The trivia may come from Toy Story 3 only or from all three Toy Story films.

The third disc in the set is the DVD copy of the movie.

The fourth disc in the set is the digital copy of the movie with instructions enclosed for installation on PC and Mac devices.

In Conclusion

5/5 (not an average)

Toy Story 3 is another marvel from the geniuses at Pixar who have somehow discovered the secret formula for great entertainment: action, humor, and heart blended into an unbeatable package with endearing and memorable characters at the center. The Blu-ray release features incredible video and audio quality transfers and plenty of bonus features for fans of the film or the studio. Highest recommendation!

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let me be the first to say "Thanks!," Matt for the review...confirming what we've come to expect--that the product, the transfer and the bonus features of a Pixar release are top notch. While it's no surprise...it's always a welcome read.

I will be looking forward to revisiting this film in HD. I saw it once in the theater (in 3-D) and something tells me I'll be picking up on lots of things I missed the first time around.

As most people here know...these films hold quite a special place in my heart. I just recently shared discs of TS 1 & TS2 with someone (an adult) who had never seen them before. And now there is at least one other person in the world waiting anxiously for these discs of TS3 to hit the stores so she can get caught up on the adventures of Woody and the gang.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I came to the Toy Story series late in the game, like, only seeing 1 and 2 just before going to 3. (Really!) Love 'em all, but am also looking forward to watching TS3 at home in glorious 2D because I was always a little distracted by the dimness of the picture in the theater.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh totally, no problem there. I'm a solid Disney and Pixar admirer, even if I've tended to lag behind others in keeping up with them. Getting better on that, though.

And I loved those subsidized tickets. too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This was a blind purchase for me, even before reading any reviews. Pixar is very boring -- every BD release is superb.

Thanks for the review, Matt. I'm really looking forward to finally seeing this film. The first two are my favorite Pixar films.. and that's some very tough competition!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Being a one eye, my main complaint about this in 3D was having to wear the shades. I can't wait to see this with it's proper colour! I have the Ultimate set on pre-order.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
With a combination of release week deals and Disney's $8 coupon, this is really a no brainer. The only problem for me is I won't get to watch it for a while. As always with Pixar, a fun movie for the kids with a complete second level for the adults.

Thanks for the excellent review, too, Matt. It confirmed what I strongly suspected this entire time about Pixar releases.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason_V

With a combination of release week deals and Disney's $8 coupon, this is really a no brainer. .

Hey, Jason...would you be so kind as to spell out the coupon possibilities for TS3? I haven't heard much on the topic.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
From the ads I've seen (Target and BB), the four disc set is $24.99. Disney has a coupon for $8 off the combo pack expiring 11/8. It's the same as every other Disney coupon (Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story 1/2, etc.).

I know there are special offers through Toys R Us with other purchases, but I'm not playing that game.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Doug & Jason!

Somehow I had missed out on the DMR $8 coupon offer. I'm on my way there now. In fact, I had heard speculation that there would be no such coupon this time around for TS3 so I am thrilled!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... That DMR coupon must be very new. I still haven't gotten the email for it yet -- and I usually get it about as early as anyone else near as I can tell.

Thanks for the heads up.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The coupon went live yesterday so it's brand new. Only $8 rather than $10, but I think I've abused Disney enough over the last couple years (Up + Monsters Inc for $5 total, Princess Pea+TS1+TS2 for $6 kind of things).

I hope that Disney will eventually let us buy some sort of Toy Box to put the 3 movies in. I don't really like the upcoming Trilogy boxset with the wagon (?). I;d rather have a nice carboard (or better) slipcase with some nice artwork to put the 3 movies in together. Something like the LOTR DVD Trilogy box that they sold for $5 after all the movies were released would be really nice.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Norman

I hope that Disney will eventually let us buy some sort of Toy Box to put the 3 movies in. I don't really like the upcoming Trilogy boxset with the wagon (?). I;d rather have a nice carboard (or better) slipcase with some nice artwork to put the 3 movies in together. Something like the LOTR DVD Trilogy box that they sold for $5 after all the movies were released would be really nice.

+1 I'd spring for that. That would be a nice thing for those of us who already own the BD Combo packs of TS1 & TS2.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
NOW there's a coupon? Geez. )

[FONT= 'times new roman']Mike, you should link your article in next week's Roundup thread.[/FONT]

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks for the heads up on that coupon! Haven't gotten the email, but went to DMR and there it was. Now, thanks to that and the advance purchase of the steelbook at BB, I'll just have to pony up a few more bucks when I pick the set up on Tuesday.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman )

[FONT= 'times new roman']Mike, you should link your article in next week's Roundup thread.[/FONT]

I also didn't mention the new voice of Slinky Dog necessary since the death of Jim Varney, but Bo and Etch's absences were explained. I guess I could have said "Almost all," but I was really talking about the stars and the important supporting characters. Bo never was that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks