What's new

What Remaining TV Westerns Do You Want to See Released? (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
With the recent "crystal ball" thread that indicates that we'll be getting (barring any complications) a cluster of Fox and Four Star westerns sometime in the near future, including one of my "holy grails", The Westerner, I've been thinking about what's left, as far as what I'd still be interested in owning. There still seems to be some life in the genre, in terms of further DVD releases. I like TV westerns, in general, although I'm particular as far as which series capture my imagination enough that I'd actually shell out money for them and would be viewed more than once.

While they have their fans, and I'm sure they have several stand-out episodes, I've never really gotten into Bonanza, Wagon Train, The Virginian or The Big Valley, for instance. While I've heard of them, I've never seen The Loner, Laramie or some of the Warner Bros westerns (Lawman, Colt 45, Sugarfoot), nor The Iron Horse, so the jury's still out on those. Seven unreleased western series interest me, however--

Wanted:

1.) Trackdown (1957-59 / b&w / 30 mins / 2 seasons / 70 episodes) - Fox (Four Star)
Starring Robert Culp

2.) Wichita Town (1959-60 / b&w / 30 mins / 1 season / 26 episodes) - Mirisch/Four Star
Starring Joel McCrea & Jody McCrea

3.) Klondike (1960-61 / b&w / 30 mins / 1 season / 17 episodes) - MGM (Ziv)
Starring Ralph Taeger & James Coburn

4.) Shotgun Slade (1959-61 / b&w / 30 mins / 2 seasons / 78 episodes) - Universal
Starring Scott Brady

5.) The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters (1963-64 / b&w / 60 mins / 1 Season / 26 episodes) - Warner Bros (MGM)
Starring Kurt Russell & Charles Bronson

6.) The Outlaws (1960-62 / b&w (S1) and color (S2) / 60 mins / 2 seasons / 50 episodes) - NBC/Universal
Starring Barton MacLane, Don Collier & Slim Pickins

7.) The Outcasts (1968-69 / color / 60 mins / 1 season / 26 episodes) - Sony
Starring Don Murray & Otis Young

Continuing:

The Rifleman (Seasons 3-5) - Levy-Gardner-Laven (it looks pretty favorable that the entire run will be out in the next couple of years)

Stalled/Abandoned:

Zane Grey Theatre (Seasons 4 & 5) - Fox (Four Star)

I already own:

Gunsmoke (Seasons 1-11)
Zane Grey Theatre (Seasons 1-3)
Have Gun - Will Travel (complete)
Maverick (complete)
The Rifleman (Seasons 1 & 2)
Wanted: Dead or Alive (complete)
Yancy Derringer (complete)
Rawhide (complete)
Shotgun Slade (2 discs of a handful of public domain episodes)
Tate (complete)
Stoney Burke (complete)
The Dakotas (complete)
The Wild, Wild West (complete)
Lonesome Dove (the original 4-part mini-series)
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (complete)
Deadwood (complete)
The Broken Trail (2-part mini-series)

How about you?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I won't list what I have, as that would take too long, or what is out that I am not interested in, at this time, as that could change, especially if I catch a sale.

My short list is: LANCER 1968-70
The Disney mini-westerns in color: SAGA OF ANDY BURNETT, EL FEGO BACA, TEXAS JOHN SLAUGHTER, DANIEL BOONE, and THE SWAMP FOX

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I missed that "crystal ball" thread . But here's a list of western themed shows I'd love to own on DVD:
Gray Ghost,
Casey Jones,
Trackdown,
Boots And Saddles,
Hotel De Paree,
Black Saddle,
Buckskin ,
Johnny Ringo ,
Colt 45,
Rough Riders ,
The Americans ( this is a forgotten Civil War show that ran on NBC in 1961)
Union Pacific,
Adventures Of Wild Bill Hickock,
Adventures Or Rin Tin Tin,
and all of the shows listed by Mr Fitzgerald .

PS I hope no one gets me started on fifties sitcoms !

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The rest of Bonanza and Gunsmoke.

What about The Cisco Kid? Is the complete run on DVD?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Trackdown is at the top of my list also. It's distributed in syndication by CBS. Does Fox control the video rights? Or would it also be managed by CBS for home distribution?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I really like the way Peter, and Lou, think when it comes to westerns. I'm very similar in my tastes. While I have some of the more "glamorous" color westerns that Peter mentioned early in his post, they aren't my favorites. Not by a long shot. I prefer the gritty, old-school westerns from the 50's and early 60's to the psychological studies and/or straight dramas that some of the color series became. I guess the series I'd be most interested in, that were not included in the recent "crystal ball" thread, would include:

Adventures of Rin Tin Tin
Black Saddle
Branded
(restored and full running time)
Brave Eagle
Broken Arrow
Casey Jones
Colt .45
Elfego Baca
Gray Ghost
(very high on my list)
Hec Ramsey
Hotel De Paree
Iron Horse
Klondike
Lassie
(semi-western)
Law of the Plainsman
Outlaws
Outcasts
Paradise/Guns of Paradise
Sheriff of Cochise
Shotgun Slade
Stagecoast West
Swamp Fox
Tales of the Texas Rangers
Texas John Slaughter
Trackdown
Travels of Jamie McPheeters
26 Men
Union Pacific
U.S. Marshal
Wichita Town

Gary "I'd buy some other series as well, but these are at the top of the list right now" O.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
All good mentions, Gary and fellow Westerns fans...for me, I'd be most excited by...
Wichita Town, featuring an all time favourite star Joel McCrea.
Trackdown, great show and like just about anything Robert Culp.
Black Saddle, Peter Breck and Russell Johnson are a great team.
The Californians, what I've seen from a few episodes leaves me wanting more...
The Alaskans, likewise, another gold rush show, and Roger Moore.
Gray Ghost...great action show with terrific stunts...you wonder why it didn't run longer...
Pistols N' Petticoats for the great Anne Sheridan...

And a couple of "contemporary" westerns...
Sheriff of Cochise / US Marshall...156 episodes!
Cade's County...Glenn Ford and Edgar Buchanan and that great theme instrumental...

Overall, we have been blessed with a wealth of great tv Westerns, (thanks, Timeless!) and I do feel some sympathy with those fellow fans of classic b + w tv who don't share our love for the dusters...but it shouldn't be a zero sum proposition where that's all we get, either...speaking of variety,(Garry Moore show, etc) sitcoms, (Ozzie and Harriet, Danny Thomas more Jack Benny etc) urban contemporary drama, (Bus Stop, Dick Powell Theater, Richard Boone Show, etc. etc.etc.) and especially, great documentary series like 20th Century, Air Power, CBS Reports etc...

I just love the totality of all genre that was presented in my favourite era of television...1955 - 1965...

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
[QUOTE="LouA, post: 4371949, member: 384141"

The Americans ( this is a forgotten Civil War show that ran on NBC in 1961)
[/QUOTE]
I would call it more of a war series than western

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Darby, I joined the Disney Movie Club for awhile hoping the Disney live-action shows would be coming. And when some did like Zorro and Dr. Syn, the releases were available at Amazon and DeepDiscount first with better pricing, (at least when they were first up for preorder).

RIN TIN TIN is probably undoable at this point. I think they lost the original soundtracks, when they re-syndicated the shows in the 70s with new color wraparounds and voice-overs with James Brown as Rip Masters. They also sepia-toned the body of the show. Later they fully colorized 65 episodes and had to replace the dialog and music on the scenes that had the 70s James Brown voice-over, with new actors and new music. The new music was very out of place.

Black and white versions of the colorized episodes were shown when AntennaTV first came on. The 65 colorized episodes are available on DVD in the UK, France, and Germany. The replacement music really bothered me when I watched some of them on Antenna.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
There is no complete run of 'The Cisco Kid' on DVD. Despite its crummy production values & juvenile plots I always found it quite likeable.

MPI released 4 sets of odd episodes (80 in all) some years ago & did try to enhance them a bit.. Can still be picked up very cheaply. All the other PD releases such as Platinum Disc should be avoided as they are severely cut prints often lopping off the first few minutes.

The original uncut B/W prints of Rin-Tin-Tin should still exist. They ran them here in the UK Iin the late 90's.One of the last series I videotaped before DVD took over. The prints looked really sharp & clean.

Bit of a western buff so I tend to pick up most every release. Would particularly like to get 'The Alaskans', 'Legend of Jesse James' & 'Temple Houston' as they are very tough series to find.

So how about detective series ?

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I am not interested in any of the five probable releases from Shout/Timeless, though I am really glad they are still releasing more old stuff. There are just a few westerns left that I'd love to see get an official release:
Trackdown
Hec Ramsey
A Man Called Shenandoah
Cade's County
The remaining 7 episodes of Elfego Baca (why oh why did Disney only release three?!?!)
Johnny Ringo
The last two seasons of Zane Grey Theatre

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Darby, I joined the Disney Movie Club for awhile hoping the Disney live-action shows would be coming. And when some did like Zorro and Dr. Syn, the releases were available at Amazon and DeepDiscount first with better pricing, (at least when they were first up for preorder).

Bob:

I joined the Disney Movie Club for exactly the same reason; I was primarily interested in the their Exclusives which were typically older live-action films (often from the Walt era) and content from the anthology series. I certainly picked up quite a few gems via the Club's Exclusives (i.e. The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men, The Sword and the Rose, The Fighting Prince of Donegal, So Dear to My Heart, The Magnificent Rebel, and many others). I wound up buying the Treasures releases of Dr. Syn, Zorro, and Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox - Legendary Heroes from other retailers due to the price.

I still would love to see Disney releasing the following:

The Light in the Forest (it is currently available for sale via Disney Educational Products for $29.99, but a DMC Exclusive release of the full version for a cheaper price would be preferable)

The Sign of Zorro (a theatrical film culled from episodes from the Zorro television show)

Zorro the Avenger (a theatrical film culled from episodes from the Zorro television show)

Plus I would love to see the various series from the Disneyland anthology show (in its various incarnations) such as:

The Tales of Texas John Slaughter (the complete series of 17 episodes; starring Tom Tryon)
  • Texas John Slaughter 10/31/58
  • Ambush at Laredo 11/14/58
  • Killers from Kansas 1/09/59
  • Showdown at Sandoval 1/23/59
  • The Man from Bitter Creek 3/06/59
  • The Slaughter Trail 3/20/59
  • The Robber Stallion 12/04/59
  • Wild Horse Revenge 12/11/59
  • Range War at Tombstone 12/18/59
  • Desperado from Tombstone 2/12/60
  • Apache Friendship 2/19/60
  • Kentucky Gunslick 2/26/60
  • Geronimo’s Revenge 3/04/60
  • End of the Trail 1/29/61
  • A Holster Full of Law 2/05/61
  • A Trip to Tucson 4/16/61
  • Frank Clell’s in Town 4/23/61
Daniel Boone (the complete series of 4 episodes; starring Dewey Martin)
  • The Warrior’s Path 12/04/60
  • And Chase the Buffalo 12/11/60
  • The Wilderness Road 3/12/61
  • The Promised Land 3/19/61
The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca (the complete series of 10 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Robert Loggia)
  • The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca 10/03/58
  • Four Down and Five Lives to Go 10/17/58
  • Lawman or Gunman 11/28/58
  • Law and Order, Incorporated 12/12/58
  • Attorney-at-Law 2/06/59
  • The Griswold Murder 2/20/59
  • Move Along Mustangers 11/13/59
  • Mustang Man, Mustang Maid 11/20/59
  • Friendly Enemies at Law 3/18/60
  • Gus Tomlin is Dead 3/25/60
The Prince and the Pauper (the complete series of 3 episodes starring Sean Scully and Guy Williams)
  • The Pauper King 3/11/62
  • The Merciful Law of the King 3/18/62
  • Long Live the Rightful King 3/25/62
  • The 93-minute theatrical release that was released in Europe in 1962
The Swamp Fox (the complete series of 8 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Leslie Nielsen)
  • The Birth of the Swamp Fox 10/23/59
  • Brother Against Brother 10/30/59
  • Tory Vengeance 1/01/60
  • Day of Reckoning 1/08/60
  • Redcoat Strategy 1/15/60
  • A Case of Treason 1/22/60
  • A Woman’s Courage 1/08/61
  • Horses for Greene 1/15/61
The Saga of Andy Burnett (the complete series of 6 episodes; starring Jerome Courtland)
  • Andy’s Initiation 10/02/57
  • Andy’s First Chore 10/09/57
  • Andy’s Love Affair 10/16/57
  • The Land of Enemies 2/26/58
  • White Man’s Medicine 3/05/58
  • The Big Council 3/12/58
The New Adventures of Davy Crockett (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Tim Dunigan)
  • Davy Crockett: Rainbow in the Thunder 11/20/88
  • Davy Crockett: A Natural Man 12/18/88
  • Davy Crockett: Guardian Spirit 1/13/89
  • Davy Crockett: A Letter to Polly 6/11/89
  • Davy Crockett: Warrior’s Farewell 6/18/89
Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes; starring Roger Mobley)
  • Part 1 1/24/65
  • Part 2 1/31/65
  • Part 3 2/07/65
The Further Adventures of Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes)
  • A Case of Murder 9/26/65
  • The Big Swindle 10/03/65
  • The Daily Press vs. City Hall 10/10/65
Gallegher Goes West (the complete series of 4 episodes)
  • Showdown with the Sundown Kid 10/23/66
  • Crusading Reporter 10/30/66
  • Tragedy on the Trail 1/29/67
  • Trial by Terror 2/05/67
The Mystery of Edward Sims (the complete series of 2 episodes)
  • Part 1 3/31/68
  • Part 2 4/07/68
Willie and the Yank (the complete series of 3 episodes that first aired in January 1967)
  • The Deserter 1/08/67
  • The Mosby Raiders 1/15/67
  • The Matchmaker 1/22/67
  • The 80-minute theatrical version titled Mosby’s Marauders that was released in Europe in May 1967
Zorro and Son (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Henry Darrow as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Sr. and Paul Regina as Don Carlos de la Vega/Zorro, Jr.)
  • Zorro and Son (Pilot) 4/06/83
  • Beauty and the Mask 4/13/83
  • A Fistful of Pesos 4/20/83
  • Wash Day 4/27/83
  • The Butcher of Barcelona 5/04/83
The Secret of Boyne Castle (the complete series of 3 episodes)
  • Part 1 2/09/69
  • Part 2 2/16/69
  • Part 3 2/23/69
  • The theatrical film released overseas in 1969 under the title Guns in the Heather

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
That's some list Darby, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Some of the titles I don't even remember. I did not know there were that many Galleghers. The Sign of Zorro and Daniel Boone and probably selected episodes of some of these were on VHS.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
That's some list Darby, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Some of the titles I don't even remember. I did not know there were that many Galleghers. The Sign of Zorro and Daniel Boone and probably selected episodes of some of these were on VHS.

Thanks Bob: the list was the product of a rare moment where "passionate interest" intersected with some "spare time on a saturday"! :D

Bill Cotter's The Wonderful World of Disney Television: A Complete History is an excellent resource on the subject.

The Sign of Zorro and some episodes of Texas John Slaughter definitely were on VHS (i was able to find copies through my local library).

The 93-minute theatrical version of The Prince and Pauper was also released on VHS http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Pauper...ywords=the+prince+and+the+pauper+guy+williams) and is currently available through Amazon video (http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Pauper...ywords=the+prince+and+the+pauper+guy+williams).

The 80-minutte theatrical release of Mosby's Marauders was also released on VHS: http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Maraud...=1461625007&sr=1-1&keywords=mosby's+marauders.

Disney really blew an opportunity when they didn't release all of the episodes of Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox on the Legendary Heroes Treasures set.

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Rod Serling's "The Loner". It starred Lloyd Bridges and ran in the '65-'66 season. From the two episodes I've seen on You Tube it would be an excellent addition. BTW, this series was from Greenway Productions, who brought you Batman and The Green Hornet. But it was a very serious show, the opposite of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks