What's new

What series do you want so badly you would be willing to pay a premium price? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hi Gary,

$100 was kind of an arbitrary price...I’m not the richest fellow in the world either :) I guess what I was trying to do is present a mental exercise in what series you really couldn’t bear to miss out on despite a ridiculous price. $100 to me might be $1500 to somebody else on the forum. I’d buy almost every show on your list for a reasonable price....but is there one on there that you just couldn’t pass on, if it was some kind of legitimate, limited, buy it now or forever miss out situation?

If I could choose only one of the series I listed (and Lord knows I could have listed a bunch more), I'd probably go for the first one - Lassie. Although I guess being such a long-running series it almost defeats the logic of the thread. I should pick a one or two season show. But honestly, if that series were remastered in HD and released on Blu ray, I'd have to find a way to buy it.

And unlike many here, I'd be more excited for the 'Ranger' years simply to see all the wonderful outdoor scenery (most of it in color) that the show utilized after Lassie was off the farm. The same would hold true for most of the ZIV shows and the Disney anthologies from the 50's & 60's.

I know for most people here that would seem like a silly reason to want a release, but as I get older my viewing is less about certain actors/actresses; less about compelling stories (at this point I've watched every plot point possible - many times over); and less about lavish soundstage sets.

What I enjoy most today in my viewing is on location shooting. If I can see real places in HD, I'm in. That's why I've always loved westerns as much as any other genre. I often get to see beautiful backdrops - although some studios were NOT good about going outdoors, and instead kept everything set bound. The ones that utilized soundstages with back projection scenery really turn me off anymore. No amount of good acting or writing changes that for me the majority of the time. On the other hand, give me something very good-natured and simplistic and film it outdoors and on location, and I'm in every time.

Long answer to your question. Perhaps I'm getting old.

Gary "what I wrote assumes Ozzie & Harriet will get a full release from MPI - otherwise that's my pick" O.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I don’t recall the show but it sounds interesting. I’ve heard others mention the show as well.
Also don’t forget another obscure short run show - Way Out.
Quite a few, if not all eps of WAY OUT have been on Youtube and I thought I heard some budget DVD line picked them up too. That show was kinescoped and I think GREAT GHOST TALES was as well, and The Paley Center in NYC has two eps to view at their location (I assume), including "The Wendigo". Almost worth a trip to NYC to see that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I second Benson and raise you an Empty Nest. The shows they were spinoffs of got complete releases and books written about them, yet the latter show got nothing when even Dave Chappelle's short-lived Home Improvement spinoff Buddies got a disc release from Touchstone to tie in with his Comedy Central show.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
If I could choose only one of the series I listed (and Lord knows I could have listed a bunch more), I'd probably go for the first one - Lassie. Although I guess being such a long-running series it almost defeats the logic of the thread. I should pick a one or two season show. But honestly, if that series were remastered in HD and released on Blu ray, I'd have to find a way to buy it.

And unlike many here, I'd be more excited for the 'Ranger' years simply to see all the wonderful outdoor scenery (most of it in color) that the show utilized after Lassie was off the farm. The same would hold true for most of the ZIV shows and the Disney anthologies from the 50's & 60's.

I know for most people here that would seem like a silly reason to want a release, but as I get older my viewing is less about certain actors/actresses; less about compelling stories (at this point I've watched every plot point possible - many times over); and less about lavish soundstage sets.

What I enjoy most today in my viewing is on location shooting. If I can see real places in HD, I'm in. That's why I've always loved westerns as much as any other genre. I often get to see beautiful backdrops - although some studios were NOT good about going outdoors, and instead kept everything set bound. The ones that utilized soundstages with back projection scenery really turn me off anymore. No amount of good acting or writing changes that for me the majority of the time. On the other hand, give me something very good-natured and simplistic and film it outdoors and on location, and I'm in every time.

Long answer to your question. Perhaps I'm getting old.

Gary "what I wrote assumes Ozzie & Harriet will get a full release from MPI - otherwise that's my pick" O.
I believe the Lassie “ranger” years were released in Australia on dvd.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Does anyone remember the producers of “Laugh In” premiering a much hyped comedy series with Tim Conway called “Turn On” that only lasted for one episode? (1969?)…???

Yes, I remember watching it and I taped the soundtrack of the whole episode with a tape recorder. For a week or two afterward the TV Guide kept saying it would be on, but it wasn't of course, and back then how would you know why unless someone else might've heard? At some point later I found out in the TV Guide it had been received badly; people thought it was shocking and too sexual, drug references, poor taste or what have you. My mother laughingly said to me, "You didn't know you were watching something so sexy did you?"

So most anyone that knows about this show, even from back then, has never seen it. It seems weird, since it's so notorious, that it's been hidden. And there must be another episode or two that had been finished, no? But I can say "I saw it!" And heard it a time or two afterwards.

The show was referenced in the Mad Men episode titled "The Monolith."

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Yes, I remember watching it and I taped the soundtrack of the whole episode with a tape recorder. For a week or two afterward the TV Guide kept saying it would be on, but it wasn't of course, and back then how would you know why unless someone else might've heard? At some point later I found out in the TV Guide it had been received badly; people thought it was shocking and too sexual, drug references, poor taste or what have you. My mother laughingly said to me, "You didn't know you were watching something so sexy did you?"

So most anyone that knows about this show, even from back then, has never seen it. It seems weird, since it's so notorious, that it's been hidden. And there must be another episode or two that had been finished, no? But I can say "I saw it!" And heard it a time or two afterwards.

The show was referenced in the Mad Men episode titled "The Monolith."
Wasn't it canceled before the first episode ended, maybe during the station break?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My new pick for what I'd pay any amount for to see in 1080p: Hogan's Heroes, today being the 56th anniversary of when the premiere episode, "The Informer," was initially broadcast on CBS. The pre-broadcast version clocked in at just under 34 minutes, and was included in this form on a Columbia House Collector's Edition VHS.

~Ben

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just recently bought the 100 episode Ozzie & Harriet collection from Time-Life. I am definitely getting the entire 435 episode collection when that comes out. I am sure it will be rather expensive, but worth it. Other than that, I would say 77 Sunset Strip and/or Hawaiian Eye. Possibly the remaining seasons of My Three Sons, Donna Reed, Petticoat Junction and maybe a couple others.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Wasn't it canceled before the first episode ended, maybe during the station break?
One station pulled TURN-ON off the air before it ended. I believe in Ohio. Several stations on the West Coast decided not to air it at all. Otherwise, all the other affiliates ran the entire episode. It wasn't offcially canceled until February 10th, two days before the second episode was to have aired.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well. . . Someone already put up the Farmers Daughter television series on another forum. But I wish it had come out with corrected masters and in good form. Maybe some 70's forgotten television. Dirty Salley, etc.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well. . . Someone already put up the Farmers Daughter television series on another the forum. But I wish it had come out with corrected masters and in good form. Maybe some 70's forgotten television. Dirty Salley, etc.
Oh, yes, I really enjoyed the half season that Dirty Sally ran.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The Jack Benny Program

Laugh-In '77-'78

Burke's Law Season 2

I posted the above and a couple days later, this appeared on youtube!

Although I did attend a taping session in the summer of '77 of Laugh-In, I've never seen any of the six 1977-78 episodes. Until this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks