What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If premium price really means $100 a season, then my answer at present would have to be nothing.
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure if I'd spend $100 per season for my choices, either, but I'd likely at least pre-order them rather than waiting for a sale/price drop.

Though back when TV on DVD was a new thing, $100 per season was pretty normal. I remember buying sets of The X-Files, Millennium, and Star Trek: The Next Generation for close to those prices. If I found a set at Costco discounted to $80, I was celebrating.

Today, we've been spoiled getting season sets on blu-ray for $15-20, or entire series sets on blu for $60-80. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will pay up to $500 for a restored/remastered truly uncut St. Elsewhere complete series set.*

And I'll pay $227 for the entirety of 227.

*I'll pay a little more if I have to to get it used and circumvent the mouse.

St. Elsewhere.

Hmmm...After rewatching it a couple years ago, my thoughts of it have changed slightly. It still has some of the most dramatic powerful dramatic TV hours ever made ("A Room With A View" honestly, what a masterpiece)
Overall it is sort of all over the map. Some episodes are too melodramatic, and some interesting storylines that needed more time/resolution are never returned to.

Really loses a lot of steam after the departure of Dr. Caldwell (Mark Harmon).

Too bad most of the music that holds this series up for release is wasted on a terrible concept episode "Dreams".

But yeah, I'd pay that much too to own it in HD. I think I owe to myself to watch through it once more.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
If you're referring to the dubbing of the Mystery Movie theme over the Ellery Queen theme, that was hardly a "goof" (which could be forgiven). That was done deliberately and someone got paid to do it.
While they're at it, they can remove the syndicated "Too Many Suspects" opening and restore the audio of the Universal logo.
To me it's a goof in the end product whether deliberate stupidity (as it likely was) or sheer ignorance. I had to rip a new copy for myself in which I restored the theme music and then used the Mystery Movie audio over video of the Mystery Movie opening and merged them together.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
All the “Evenings with Fred Astaire” featuring then partner/paramour Barrie Chase…And “Mary’s Incredible Dream”, the first special touted to have cost over a million (1970’s) dollars starring Mary Tyler Moore with Ben Vereen & Manhattan Transfer…It only aired once and I can still remember at it’s close, my parents looking at one another in disbelief…
The Mary special is on YT in four parts.

JohnnyLancer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Western's- colt 45, lancer, Trackdown, and empire, Life and legend of jesse james complete series

Detective-77 sunset strip, the Detectives, Follow the sun

Drama- tv series called "roc"

Half of these shows are 20 century fox so I have little faith they will see the light of day, but lancer is only a 2 season show. I would think about factory or someone could release it since its.omly 50 episodes... as far the 4 star tv shows I hold out hope especially "trackdown" but when wanted dead or alive came out many years ago I thought then would be the time but who knows.
Shows like that I pay top dollar.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure if I'd spend $100 per season for my choices, either, but I'd likely at least pre-order them rather than waiting for a sale/price drop.

Though back when TV on DVD was a new thing, $100 per season was pretty normal. I remember buying sets of The X-Files, Millennium, and Star Trek: The Next Generation for close to those prices. If I found a set at Costco discounted to $80, I was celebrating.

Today, we've been spoiled getting season sets on blu-ray for $15-20, or entire series sets on blu for $60-80. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Agree completely with this. Newer collectors of TV series on Blu/DVD don't know how good they have it now. I got my first DVD player in 2003, initially to watch The Sopranos on DVD (never had HBO). And, that led to collecting other TV series on DVD.

And - back in the 200X's, I didn't think twice of dropping $80 for a single season of an HBO show on DVD, or $50 for a season of a more mainstream TV show on DVD (Lost, 24, etc.).

And, I do remember that X-files, ST: TNG, etc. were $100 for a full season on DVD - presumably due to higher licensing costs?!

In any case, these days we've been spoiled. Now, I would think $50-$100 for a single season of a show on Blu/DVD is extremely overpriced. That being said, I would be more than happy to pay this much if it were a show that I really, really wanted (per my previous post).

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And, I do remember that X-files, ST: TNG, etc. were $100 for a full season on DVD - presumably due to higher licensing costs?!
At the time, buying the DVD's was the only way to see the shows again unless you caught them on syndicated cable TV. So it was probably as much demand, and they COULD charge that much and people would pay it, as anything.

DVD was also still relatively new technology, so the cost of manufacturing may still have been higher at that point.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At the time, buying the DVD's was the only way to see the shows again unless you caught them on syndicated cable TV. So it was probably as much demand, and they COULD charge that much and people would pay it, as anything.

DVD was also still relatively new technology, so the cost of manufacturing may still have been higher at that point.
And at the time, you had to pay a $30 or $40 MSRP for a two-hour movie so a $100 MSRP for 18 hours of a TV show was a pretty decent price.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I remember "Out of the blue" 1979 TV series. I think it only lasted 8 episodes.
Right, the pilot episode guest-starring Robin Williams (reprising his role as Mork), "Random's Arrival," lasted for one hour. Four additional episodes (12 total were made) did not air until much later (on TV Land).

~Ben

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
St. Elsewhere.

Hmmm...After rewatching it a couple years ago, my thoughts of it have changed slightly. It still has some of the most dramatic powerful dramatic TV hours ever made ("A Room With A View" honestly, what a masterpiece)
Overall it is sort of all over the map. Some episodes are too melodramatic, and some interesting storylines that needed more time/resolution are never returned to.

Really loses a lot of steam after the departure of Dr. Caldwell (Mark Harmon).

Too bad most of the music that holds this series up for release is wasted on a terrible concept episode "Dreams".

But yeah, I'd pay that much too to own it in HD. I think I owe to myself to watch through it once more.

I thought the first and last seasons were the weak links. Season 1 is the only one on DVD, and it doesn't even have Mark Harmon, although I can see why they replaced David Birney. Some of the guest stars I would have recast, and some of the subject matter is … of its time. It's a show still finding its footing, and that's a disadvantage when it comes to home media sales since no matter the show, first seasons always seem to sell the best.

Outside of the finale, which affects his character's status as much as anyone else's, Season 6 suffers from the absence of Ed Flanders, although he went out in a memorable way, and the episode showing what he was doing outside the hospital just reinforced that. As for the gay-bashing scene in front of a Christian bookstore … I'm gay and even I thought that was laying it on a little thick, even for 1987. Even Bruce Greenwood's character going through an HIV infection scare just felt like a replay of what Dr. Caldwell went through.

But there's never been anything on TV like it before or after. Even the attempts to extrapolate its writing style onto LA Law proved disastrous.

Last edited:
Real Name
David N. Heathman
Does anyone remember the producers of “Laugh In” premiering a much hyped comedy series with Tim Conway called “Turn On” that only lasted for one episode? (1969?)…???

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
GREAT GHOST TALES (1961), a summer replacement shot on videotape. I remember one episode, "The Wendigo", scared the bejeezus out of me. 12 episodes I think, never appeared on video.
None. Never again. I have bought complete series of "Seinfeld", "Curb You Enthusiasm", the original "Superman", "Thriller", and "Queer As Folk". I binge watched each one when I got them, and haven't looked at them since, with the exception of a few of the classic "Seinfeld" episodes. It's a lot of money spent on "dust collectors".
I don’t recall the show but it sounds interesting. I’ve heard others mention the show as well.
Also don’t forget another obscure short run show - Way Out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Does anyone remember the producers of “Laugh In” premiering a much hyped comedy series with Tim Conway called “Turn On” that only lasted for one episode? (1969?)…???
Not only did it only last one episode, but allegedly, it was canceled in mid-episode by network brass.

Purple Wig

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan
If premium price really means $100 a season, then my answer at present would have to be nothing. Simply because I'm clearly not as rich as most everyone else posting in this thread. I don't have the income that would allow me to pay that kind of money for anything vintage at this point in life. Kids, grandkids coming, and other facts of life conspire to keep me on the lower end of disposable income presently.

Now, if Publisher's Clearing House comes knocking at my door at some point in the future, all bets are off. So in that fantasy world I'd be willing to pay more for the following few shows:

Lassie (all seasons)
Boston Blackie (and almost all the other ZIV shows)
Amos & Andy
Disney
vintage output (especially the original MMC and all the weekly shows/serials)
Petticoat Junction
Love, American Style

Richard Diamond, and all the Four Star Westerns not yet released
Jungle Jim
Rescue 8
Screen Gems Westerns
(all of them)
Bachelor Father
City Detective
Follow the Sun
The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters

Noah's Ark (if it could be found)
and finally...
every 50's and early 60's Western (either released for the first time, or cleaned up/remastered in HD from previous releases)

Gary "but again, that's only if I have legit money coming in - right now it's a pipe dream" O.
Hi Gary,

$100 was kind of an arbitrary price...I’m not the richest fellow in the world either :) I guess what I was trying to do is present a mental exercise in what series you really couldn’t bear to miss out on despite a ridiculous price. $100 to me might be $1500 to somebody else on the forum. I’d buy almost every show on your list for a reasonable price....but is there one on there that you just couldn’t pass on, if it was some kind of legitimate, limited, buy it now or forever miss out situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herodotus
Recent bookmarks