1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Recent Apple Store experience has me rethinking whether I will remain in their ecosystem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    Why? My wife and daughter have android phones and they seem similar to my 6+. The reason I ask is two fold: My Kindle Fire seems very similar to my iPad and phone and secondly, I've decided I don't want to spend more than 500 on my next phone and I'd prefer to get a relatively current phone when I upgrade (maybe black friday this year). So android seems like a reasonable bet to me.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If Android works for you, that's fine. For me it's simply inelegant. Things don't scale right and often look like they were second rate versions because they took the quick and dirty way of trying to support 4000 variants rather than doing it right and making versions expressly for known hardware capabilities. It's gotten better over time of course, but its still an also ran for me.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I have always thought Apple products were over priced, even counting for the quality. Also their apple care leaves something to be desired. You pay extra for it and then there’s still an incident fee sometimes, to get a fix. IMHO, there’s three reasons for all this is not particular order: 1) A large part of their customer base is young and that demographic will often try to take advantage of the manufacturer; 2) Corporate greed; and 3) the customer base puts up with it.

I remember one time I had a problem, that required apple send me a small inexpensive part. It made no sense to me, but Apple wanted the old one back. I printed off the the label and sent it back, it was easy to do but that process probably cost more than the part. I even got warning emails saying to send it back or I’d be charged.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This is often done for failure analysis.