1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Recent Apple Store experience has me rethinking whether I will remain in their ecosystem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    Why? My wife and daughter have android phones and they seem similar to my 6+. The reason I ask is two fold: My Kindle Fire seems very similar to my iPad and phone and secondly, I've decided I don't want to spend more than 500 on my next phone and I'd prefer to get a relatively current phone when I upgrade (maybe black friday this year). So android seems like a reasonable bet to me.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If Android works for you, that's fine. For me it's simply inelegant. Things don't scale right and often look like they were second rate versions because they took the quick and dirty way of trying to support 4000 variants rather than doing it right and making versions expressly for known hardware capabilities. It's gotten better over time of course, but its still an also ran for me.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I have always thought Apple products were over priced, even counting for the quality. Also their apple care leaves something to be desired. You pay extra for it and then there’s still an incident fee sometimes, to get a fix. IMHO, there’s three reasons for all this is not particular order: 1) A large part of their customer base is young and that demographic will often try to take advantage of the manufacturer; 2) Corporate greed; and 3) the customer base puts up with it.

I remember one time I had a problem, that required apple send me a small inexpensive part. It made no sense to me, but Apple wanted the old one back. I printed off the the label and sent it back, it was easy to do but that process probably cost more than the part. I even got warning emails saying to send it back or I’d be charged.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This is often done for failure analysis.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Long time reader, first time poster, thanks for taking my call. :)

Ultimately, there's an emotional component to this for enthusiasts. I switched from WinTel to Mac in 2007 because I was bored and frustrated with windows. I'd been stagnant for too long and needed something to play with. And MS was lost at sea in that time frame while Apple was doing amazing things in OS X and the Intel transition.

Over a decade later, when it was time to change things up and scratch that itch for something new, I kept my Mac and added a DIY HTPC. But because Apple continues to do amazing things with its ecosystem of iPhone, iPad, and MacOS, there's not the stagnation to break out of that I experienced with Windows. Similarly, since office work is all outdated, underpowered Windows boxes, it's refreshing to have at home zippy, friendly Apple systems.

Through this: I keep thinking of Sam's recurring advice: buy the tool that fits your needs. If that's now a Windows PC instead of a Mac, get that. I think Win10 is very good, very much a peer to macOS depending on tastes and needs. For general home use, I continue to prefer macOS. The apple ecosystem integration is useful. And my wife is a diehard Mac user, so the consistency of single ecosystem makes life easier overall, and brings some minor cost savings with "family" licensing of some software and services.

But if I were using a home computer for pro work, it probably wouldn't be a Mac.

As for customer service: Apple has (reasonably) convenient retails stores that I can go to with catastrophic problems. Which is more than I can say for anyone else. Overall, their service has been fine for me. They've not given me major freebies -- a bummer when I broke an iPhone and an iPad within a month of each other, both out of warranty. But the service was never bad nor less than it should be. And the online service has been ok; they're persistent even if they struggle with some problems.

6. JQuintana

JQuintana Supporting Actor

Johnny
    We bought my daughter an iPhone 7 "Smart Battery Case" for Christmas 2017 and this week she told me the case was cracking and the battery life was not that great anymore. So we took it to the local Apple store and explained the issues and they basically said sorry, out of warranty and nothing we can do. Problem with that is that accessories have a 1 year warranty.

I tried calling the 800# and didn't get too far with them, they too claim they can't help. No idea why or what the deal is since we are within the warranty time frame.

I looked at the Apple site webpage that shows the Smart Case and noticed a bunch of 1 star ratings listed and many folks said their cases were peeling and cracking and battery life stank.

Frustrating that we are out $100 for this POS case.

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If you paid for this case with a credit card, and the damage is not due to abuse, you might try disputing the charge with your credit card issuer, on the basis of faulty merchandise.

For this, you will need evidence that you made a good-faith effort to resolve the dispute with the merchant. In theory, the credit card issuer could say, "You have already paid the bill, so, sorry, you're out of luck", but in practice they often won't.

There's no guarantee that the credit card issuer will rule in your favor, but if they do so, you'll get your money back.

8. JQuintana

JQuintana Supporting Actor

Johnny
    Bought on a Best Buy card.