What's new

What series do you want so badly you would be willing to pay a premium price? (1 Viewer)

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I do have the gray area sets.
Such an iconic show in it’s time, it’s a shame it remains unreleased.
It would be nice if someone like MPI or Time-Life could license the entire series for release- Jeff, Timmie, the old man and the forest Ranger. I can dream , can’t I? But I’d pay a premium price for such a set!
Mostly shout factory could licence the season sets with jeff timmie the old man and the forest ranger it would be great.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If coughing up $100 for another season of the Defenders would get the series unstalled, I could see doing that.

For me, pretty much any Herb Brodkin-produced series (such as The Defenders). The only one I have other than that Defenders Season 1 is his UK co-pro, Espionage, which I got as much for the couple of episodes directed by Michael Powell as because it was co-produced by Brodkin.

Anything created and/or run by Canadian Chris Haddock. The two seasons of Intelligence and the first three seasons of Da Vinci's Inquest (but not the other five) were released on DVD. But I'd kill for a set of The Romeo Section or his one US series, The Handler. And the rest of Da Vinci.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The first 4 seasons aired on ABC. CBS picked it up with season 5 and it remained there until it ended. The NBC reruns were in the daytime. It was quite common in the 50s/60s for a series to be airing in syndication on one network with new episodes appearing on another. This was a time when the networks didn't always own a piece of the action and typically had no say in where or when a show they were airing in prime time with new episodes ran in syndication.
Reel Vault released Season 4 earlier this year. I asked a contact at Reel Vault if they planned to release additional seasons and I was told no definite plans. They did a marvelous job on Season 4 with outstanding video and sound. Some episodes even included original commercials with the alternate opening and closing credits. I hope the sales were good enough for additional seasons to get released.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Kyle Xy seasons two-three but it's very expensive and very pricey,i think it's discontinued for some time,and Make It Or Break It volume three we tried to buy it but it was extremley expensive it's very hard to find.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At this point in my collecting I would pay a premium price for any unreleased, or upgradeable series I love on BD.

Grizzly Adams in proper HD for $200? Sure, sold.

Planet of the Apes (1974) in HD with a ton of new special features for $150...yup.

Fantasy Island complete series for $300? Pricey, but worth it...likewise with The Love Boat.

I'm through waiting just take my money, please.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I'd pay a premium for Linus The Lionhearted, a cartoon series featuring voiceover talent like Sheldon Leonard, Carl Reiner, Jonathan Winters, Ruth Buzzi, etc. Ed Graham produced it, General Foods-Post cereals sponsored it on CBS (1964-66) and in repeats on ABC (1966-69) before the FCC forced the series off the air due to usage of the characters in the commercials.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The Littlest Hobo television's early hits is mostly volume set it has a couple of copies left.after that it would be complete seasons sets getting close.and Wildfire season 4 is sadly out of print it can be challenging to find this ABC family hit television series

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Unhappily Ever After is one of the first hits on the wb,that is never released on tsod,but getting close
Cold Case might not be easy for a tsod release but with all the music intact it's a possibility
Burns And Allen and The Jack Benny Program has seen many compilations over the years,but not complete seasons sets.
and this one tops them all Valarie/The Hogan Family the holy grail for tsod release.
I'm sure that there are collectors out there who have complete runs of Unhappily, Cold Case and Valerie in their collections. All ran long after home recording became affordable and common place. None of those were shows of interest to me but they're out there.
As for Benny and Burns, the first 2 seasons of B&A were live and I'm not sure all 52 exist. I've only seen evidence of around half that many. Doesn't mean that they don't but I don't know where they might be.
The vast majority of the JB shows are in the UCLA archives. Many of the later seasons, non-filmed episodes were done on 2-inch videotape as well as backup kinescopes. The tapes burned up in the Universal fire so they're gone. There are some gaps in the 50s among the live shows in the UCLA holdings. Those could exist elsewhere in another archive or at CBS perhaps. Unknown. Likelihood of season sets is nil. They had to pull episodes off the Shout Factory set when the Jack Benny fan club lady raised a stink and pissed CBS off, which I'm sure also changed their minds about a second volume. Which they were going to look into doing as the first volume sold well. But once Benny lady pissed CBS off, I'm guessing it became too complicated.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Inspired by a post of Neal 1960's on the Defenders thread. There have been many discussions of "grail" series, but for this thread I thought it might be interesting to discuss in terms of what series you would be willing to pay what might seem an unreasonable amount for. If there was a hypothetical boutique label, releasing a limited edition of an otherwise very unlikely title to be released. If, say, someone had located a complete run of something like 90 Bristol Court or For The People and was willing to do the necessary licensing and remastering. Is there a show that you want so badly that you would pay $100 or even $200-$300 for a single season?

If coughing up $100 for another season of the Defenders would get the series unstalled, I could see doing that.
I will pay as much as I need to, to see Warners release seasons 2 & 3 of the 1980s TV western "Paradise & Guns of Paradise" as the last season was renamed.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'd pay a premium for Linus The Lionhearted, a cartoon series featuring voiceover talent like Sheldon Leonard, Carl Reiner, Jonathan Winters, Ruth Buzzi, etc. Ed Graham produced it, General Foods-Post cereals sponsored it on CBS (1964-66) and in repeats on ABC (1966-69) before the FCC forced the series off the air due to usage of the characters in the commercials.
Very curious about this. Some of the older cartoons of the sixties seem lighter than what's on today.

--jthree

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Medical Story a spinoff from the 70's tv drama Police Story would be a great tsod release,very underrated.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
As for Benny and Burns, the first 2 seasons of B&A were live and I'm not sure all 52 exist. I've only seen evidence of around half that many. Doesn't mean that they don't but I don't know where they might be.
There is also the unaired pilot of the Burns & Allen Show which was redone as the premiere episode making 53 possible kinescoped episodes. However, from what I've read, the 1950 Christmas episode had transmission issues and was seen only on one coast so no kinescope was made. If true, that episode is truly lost.

Personally I have 32 (60% of 53) of the live episodes in my possession (including the pilot) [although in one episode some of the video is missing but you can still follow it with the audio] and I'm reasonably sure I don't have at least one
or two episodes that are available (somewhere).

There is also some confusion over episodes 1.24 "Space Patrol Kids Visit" and 2.18 "The Speech Writer" which have essentially the same plot and guest characters. All the copies of episodes labelled "Space Patrol Kids Visit" I've seen (including on a Mill Creek Public Domain DVD) have really been "The Speech Writer." There are two ways to determine this:
1) According to the book "Say Goodnight, Gracie!" (by Blythe and Sackett) Harry Von Zell presents the Sylvania Pioneer Award to the stars at the end of 2.18.
2) Both George and Harry mention that "Star of the Family" with Peter Lind Hayes and Mary Healy will be seen the following week. "Star of the Family" only alternated with Burns & Allen in 1952 so that episode can't be 1.24 which was broadcast in Aug. 1951.
Whether "Space Patrol Kids Visit" is available or not is unknown, despite episodes online and on public domain DVDs being labelled as such.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
any of the shows that had extensive outdoor shooting .

Life & Times of Grizzly Adams

The Monroes

Hawaii Five-O (Original)

Streets of San Francisco

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks