What's new

Warner Archive in 2016. Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I asked WA today on Facebook for an update about MR. NOVAK...got a response only 7 hours later, the "nothing new to report, thanks" response...a couple of years ago it seemed like a hopeful near term release was imminent of season 1, with them saying that 4 episodes still needed clearances, presumably for music...disappointing...I'm more excited for b + w '50s and '60s tv, and the best bet from WA would probably be COLT .45 and THE ALASKANS...I' d be glad to have either of them and ASSIGNMENT VIENNA from the '70s, as that has good old Robert Conrad and the additional virtue of location shooting in cold war era Europe...

I wish the Warner tv vaults could truly bust open past the music clearances roadblock...

That's unfortunate but at least all but a handful of episodes of Novak ran uncut on TNT in the late 80s. I'd really like a show like Many Happy Returns, which hasn't ever been rerun and which few film prints ever surfaced.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'd love a "Many Happy Returns" release. I've long had the two episodes that commonly circulated with collectors. Seemed to indicate the series had potential, at least. Another property (which I think is MGM) that I'd like to see is "The Islanders.". Those two would both be pretty high up on my list. Maybe "Room For One More" as well.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I've only seen one episode of Many Happy Returns..."It's a Gift"... and it was funny...judging by that one show, the returns and complaints desk at "Krockmeyer's" department store was a corner of hell for John McGiver...I would like to see more of it...

Sadly, I'm beginning to lose hope about classic b+w TV coming from WA...we appear to be losing momentum there...Mr. Novak was one that I thought was imminent...they are, however, doing great things with feature films on blu-ray with stunning new 4K transfers of films like Key Largo, To Have and Have Not, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, They were Expendable, I Confess etc...those impressive releases are growing in frequency...perhaps a re-allocation of budgetary resources (that they have to live within) are being dedicated into that effort and away from difficult and arcane music clearances with tedious and involved publishing research for long stalled series like 77 Sunset Strip et al...just a guess...I try to remain hopeful...

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
According to what I saw them post over the past several months, Sam Benedict is being prepped and Assignment: Vienna I believe is also in the pipeline. They stated that music clearances have not been commenced for Many Happy Returns so I would imagine that's a ways away. The Islanders I believe they stated has music issues, which considering it was MGM's copy of the Warner detective shows makes sense that it would have the same clearance issues.

I believe the problem with Mr. Novak is the 2-parter, Faculty Follies from the second season. One of those abysmal, "lets put on a show" episodes that was so prevalent on 60s TV where the cast just had to show what great all around entertainers they were. So the show, especially part two, is packed with songs.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
constantine-poster-600x818.jpg

called it coming to DVD and Blu courtesy of WAC now the DC TV (Arrowverse is Complete) to bad marvel cant give their shows a release

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
According to what I saw them post over the past several months, Sam Benedict is being prepped and Assignment: Vienna I believe is also in the pipeline. They stated that music clearances have not been commenced for Many Happy Returns so I would imagine that's a ways away. The Islanders I believe they stated has music issues, which considering it was MGM's copy of the Warner detective shows makes sense that it would have the same clearance issues.

I believe the problem with Mr. Novak is the 2-parter, Faculty Follies from the second season. One of those abysmal, "lets put on a show" episodes that was so prevalent on 60s TV where the cast just had to show what great all around entertainers they were. So the show, especially part two, is packed with songs.
Even if that's the case, not really sure what would preclude them from at least releasing season 1

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Zilch going on right now. Doesn't really bode well for the first quarter of 2017 which is traditionally the slowest time of the year for releases anyway.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If you are referring to September yes that released the usual 20 -25 titles but no classic tv. October preorders are up and no tv releases at all. They usually have a strong November since it's the end of the year for them so hopefully we get 1 or 2 classic tv releases and a Hanna barbera or 2.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
If Warner Archives is just releasing '90's shows......how about "The Drew Carey Show" please!!! Also how about "Knots Landing" too!!! (And yes, "Knots Landing" is often considered an '80's show......but it ended in 1993).

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Just wanted to say that I will be the first to criticize Neil when he berates another posters likes but I do understand his point in one regard. I don't really get why when one of us calls a show trash or garbage, people come after them like you just shot their dog. I remember when I called Mamas Family garbage a few years back...... You would think that national security was at stake the way people came after me. Sheesh, it's only my opinion it's not a personal attack on anyone. It's just a TV show, not something integral to your well being. And I'm not directing this towards Ron specifically cause we've always got along good in here, just anybody who thinks me criticizing a particular show is a no no.
For the record, RunFor Your Life And Hogans Heroes are my 2 favorite shows. If anyone thinks they are garbage, that's your opinion and it doesn't affect my life or my enjoyment of those shows one iota. It's just free expression and we are entitled to it (or should be) without fear of being berated. Even if your opinion is negative

Well, people react that way because there "are" emotions involved, of course, especially when someone grew up watching a certain show. Art manipulates the emotions (in a good way) and people often tend to develop a sort-of bond, if you will, with a set of characters, especially if they watch them for many years.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well, people react that way because there "are" emotions involved, of course, especially when someone grew up watching a certain show. Art manipulates the emotions (in a good way) and people often tend to develop a sort-of bond, if you will, with a set of characters, especially if they watch them for many years.

To me, one of the absolute best television reference books, is Harry and Wally's Favorite TV Shows. Unlike other books, such as McNeill, Terrace and Brooks and Marsh, H&W give ratings and analysis about the shows and their qualities or lack thereof. I find it refreshing, especially for someone who likes to find shows they are unfamiliar with, to be able to see someone tell you if a show is any good or not. But I know one TV historian who dismisses the book and anything written in it because of the simple fact that they only gave East Side West Side 2 1/2 stars out of 4. I disagree with that rating as well but probably do agree with 99% of their other ratings. So, yes, people do get emotionally invested in what they like. Which, to be honest, makes it quite fun when what people like really is bad!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I
To me, one of the absolute best television reference books, is Harry and Wally's Favorite TV Shows. Unlike other books, such as McNeill, Terrace and Brooks and Marsh, H&W give ratings and analysis about the shows and their qualities or lack thereof. I find it refreshing, especially for someone who likes to find shows they are unfamiliar with, to be able to see someone tell you if a show is any good or not. But I know one TV historian who dismisses the book and anything written in it because of the simple fact that they only gave East Side West Side 2 1/2 stars out of 4. I disagree with that rating as well but probably do agree with 99% of their other ratings. So, yes, people do get emotionally invested in what they like. Which, to be honest, makes it quite fun when what people like really is bad!
I've had this book for years. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks