What's new

Latest Tidbits From Warner Archives (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Summing up questions they have answered in the past month or so.

1) Nothing new on Hawaiian Eye or 77. :(

2) Kildare 4 is still being remastered but not complete.

3) No ETA on Daktari 4 but remastering soon.

4) Lawman Season 1 is "well" into the process of remastering.

5) They continue to shy away from answering any questions about the next season of Falcon Crest. This is not a favorite of mine, but I am curious what is the deal with this show. It's been a long time since they released Season 3. Ditto for the last season of Alice.

6) Not questions or responses about the next season of Medical Center or a possible Chico release.

7) Spenser Seasons 2 and 3 will be released at some point this year.

What this means:

1) Obviously, nothing is coming soon on the detective shows. I was really hoping to see some movement this year. I think Its fair to assume that if Eye and 77 are not near, Surfside 6 and Bourbon Street are far in the distance, if on the radar at all. This is disappointing.

2) New volumes of Daktari and Kildare are still quite a few months away.

3) Lawman is a definite at this point. Only the time frame remains to be seen.

With many of the aforementioned being quite a few months (or years) away, that begs the question, what are they going to put out in the next 3 to 4 months. Here's my take:

1) Spenser Season 2

2) Although it wasn't commented upon, Medical Center Season 6 might be a possibility for March or April

3) People continue to bring up The Dakotas, The Alaskans, and Colt 45. Maybe one of these is coming in the next month or two.

4) Your best guess.

Summing up: Not a lot of great news here, save the confirmation of Lawman. Quite disappointing actually.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm surprised at the slow progress on Kildare S4 considering how quick the turnaround was between S2 and S3. Don't know if there were more clearance issues involved with that one or not, but it is a bit surprising.

I can think of some 80s titles that Warner might give us like "Goodnight Beantown" or "Private Benjamin". The former I can remember them giving one of those coy answers that it was a good possibility.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
News on Enos, Young maverick, Chaatanooga Cats, Clue Club, Where's Huddles, etc?
I think they're in the works

James

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'll consider it a decent enough year for me if I end up with Kildare S4, Spenser S2 and S3, and Lawman S1 before 2016. The last seasons of HTWWW and Bronco would be nice as well, but they don't appear to be on the list.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Not interested in any of this stuff besides 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6 and Bourbon Street Beat. It's beyond disappointing, it's goddamned tragic! Wish they'd just let some other company put these out.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
smithbrad said:
I'll consider it a decent enough year for me if I end up with Kildare S4, Spenser S2 and S3, and Lawman S1 before 2016. The last seasons of HTWWW and Bronco would be nice as well, but they don't appear to be on the list.
I would certainly think Bronco S4 would be out this year sometime, since S3 was released today.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Ed Lachmann said:
Not interested in any of this stuff besides 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6 and Bourbon Street Beat. It's beyond disappointing, it's goddamned tragic! Wish they'd just let some other company put these out.

Why would another company be more successful in handling music clearances than they would?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Between this and the lack of movement on anything classic from CBS, I feel very disappointed with the way the year is starting. We should be hearing about possible May releases from CBS within the next couple weeks. but their schedule up through April is beyond Abysmal.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the summary, Frank. Looks like this year will be an exercise in patience.

Hopefully both Seasons 6 & 7 of Medical Center come out this year, which will mark another series completed.

I, too, would like to see Goodnight Beantown released. McClain's Law, also.

I'm sorry that Alice is still stalled. The 1st 4 seasons (the Flo era) are the best, but I still would have gotten the rest of the run. Also hoping Chico & the Man isn't completely off their radar.

The good news is that at least the remaining 2 seasons of Spenser are planned for this year. I wonder if they'll consider the A Man Called Hawk spin-off after that. That would be a nice 1-and-done.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Vahan_Nisanain said:
No Warner Bros. Presents? The 60th anniversary of Warner Bros.Television is coming up!

That would be nice as its a show they spoke about over a half decade ago when the BOD program was starting.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping they crank out some one-season series that they can put out in one shot:

The Alaskans, Cain's Hundred, Sam Benedict, Adam's Rib, Hank, Many Happy Returns, No Time For Sergeants, Mr. Roberts, Doc Elliot, The Dakotas, Temple Houston, A Man Called Shenandoah, The Islanders.

Also, would love to know what is holding up Mr. Novak. I know there's a dopey "lets put on a show" two-parter with lots of music in it but that's in the second season. Shouldn't be any issues with the first season at least.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jack P said:
Why would another company be more successful in handling music clearances than they would?
One of the bits of information floating around about WKRP and how Shout successfully navigated the music minefield was that Shout licensed the music for a limited period only for North American releases, while larger companies like Sony, for example, license the music included in a show worldwide, in perpetuity, and that's why Shout was able to mostly restore WKRP for a price that made it possible to release the show.

So, letting a smaller company with different music licensing guidelines release a show could make it possible.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The Obsolete Man said:
One of the bits of information floating around about WKRP and how Shout successfully navigated the music minefield was that Shout licensed the music for a limited period only for North American releases, while larger companies like Sony, for example, license the music included in a show worldwide, in perpetuity, and that's why Shout was able to mostly restore WKRP for a price that made it possible to release the show.
So, letting a smaller company with different music licensing guidelines release a show could make it possible.
It seems that we don't hear about music licensing issues when much smaller companies license programming to release. All theTimeless released come to mind. Also the companies that released shows like Naked City, Burkrs Law, Route 66 etc.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Late last year they commented that they hoped to release Lawman once the music was cleared. This is the first I have heard it is confirmed so they must have cleared the music already on this one. Good news.

Warner Archive has replied numerous times that Chico and the Man is still in the hands of WHV and they were deciding on a retail release. This could change in the future but that has been their consistent reply on this show.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayberry RFD continue in the Archive this year.

They have also confirmed Bronco season 4 and The Dakotas complete series both for this year.

I still have high hopes that we will see at least season 1 of 77 Sunset Strip and maybe season 1 of Hawaiian eye in the second half of this year.

They removed the best of seasons of both shows from their streaming service last November.

They have had many request to bring them back but they do not reply to this question.

Since this was one of the most popular titles on their streaming service the most logical reason for them being removed is that a DVD release is coming. They would probably bring them back to streaming later as complete re-mastered seasons.

Update: Ok I see they just replied about Lawman yesterday so yes good news indeed.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That would apply to WHV but since these shows are to be released by WA who does not sell Internationally they would be no different than a smaller company in this regards.

Also with all the time, effort and money they have already spent trying to clear the music turning them over to a smaller company would be extremely unlikely and would most likely come at a much higher price to compensate the work already done so I think they are released by Warner or not at all.
The Obsolete Man said:

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Frank Soyke said:
Between this and the lack of movement on anything classic from CBS, I feel very disappointed with the way the year is starting. We should be hearing about possible May releases from CBS within the next couple weeks. but their schedule up through April is beyond Abysmal.

That's true, however one other avenue I always leave open as a possibility is the licensing aspect. They have done this quite a bit now (VEI/Shout), so I never say never.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Randy Korstick said:
I still have high hopes that we will see at least season 1 of 77 Sunset Strip and maybe season 1 of Hawaiian eye in the second half of this year.

They removed the best of seasons of both shows from their streaming service last November.

They have had many request to bring them back but they do not reply to this question.

Since this was one of the most popular titles on their streaming service the most logical reason for them being removed is that a DVD release is coming. They would probably bring them back to streaming later as complete re-mastered seasons.

Randy, do you have the sense that Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye are a matter of when, not if, for WAC? Other threads on HTF have referred to the consternation those two shows are causing for music clearance, but I'd be glad to have them released even with music edits. I've got some pretty mediocre looking boots of 77 Sunset Strip that I will watch from time to time simply because I really enjoy that show. I'd love an official (and assumedly better-looking) release from Warner if they can work it out.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I definitely think it is When and not If because they know the demand is there for these shows at least enough to be a very successful archive release. Their policy is to release everything complete including music and with a few exceptions they generally do that. They have been working on the music clearance for a long time and have been running into a difficult time as noted in other threads but I think they would release it with a few of the episodes containing some music edits versus not at all. I think they still believe they can clear the majority which is why they have not gone this route yet.

In the past when asked about these shows their answers were: "Music clearance issues prevent us from releasing this at this time"

Other shows or movies have received these replies: "Rights issues prevent us from releasing this.

The second answer sounds much more final but has not been used on the Warner detective shows.

Their replies of the past 6 months or so on the detective shows has been: "Nothing new to report at this time"

Which to me sounds more positive than their old replies and implies that they are working on it.

GMBurns said:
Randy, do you have the sense that Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye are a matter of when, not if, for WAC? Other threads on HTF have referred to the consternation those two shows are causing for music clearance, but I'd be glad to have them released even with music edits. I've got some pretty mediocre looking boots of 77 Sunset Strip that I will watch from time to time simply because I really enjoy that show. I'd love an official (and assumedly better-looking) release from Warner if they can work it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks