What's new

Shows are left in the Warner Archives (1950s-70s) (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil, lots of shows on this list I'd love to see released . Since WBA does occasionally release television shows , you have to figure we'll see a few. From what every one on this site tells me the detective shows are out of reach due to music clearance issues. Evidently , the budget for these releases is small enough that any complication causes it's cancellation - Colt 45? And music rights would be a large hurdle .
But , it would be incredible to get to see Many Happy Returns , Please Don't Eat The Daisies , Father Of The Bride , Room For One More , Thin Man, Quickdraw and Bronson. We can hope .

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well, if WB Archives does 2 or 3 "classic" tv shows a year, then we'll get done in about twenty five years. And WB Archives has been releasing stuff that is fifty years old for the first time.

We just have to adjust our expectations accordingly.

I do think we'll get the Rounders, Hunter, and Colt 45 in 2020.

James

Tom.W

Second Unit
I was hoping Colt .45 would show up on the Starz Western channel in a New Years Day marathon as in the past with Death Valley Days and Tales of Wells Fargo. But no sign of it, which doesn't sound promising for a release either.

Speaking of shows airing in Europe, we have the old Bravo network in Britain to thank for what found its way to the states in shows like Saints and Sinners, Dante, The Detectives, David Niven Show, and others.

I'd also like to see G.E. True released.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'd be interested in Mr. Novak season 2, Please Don't Eat The Daisies and Many Happy Returns. Some years ago there was talk that Please Don't Eat The Daisies would be released but it has yet to happen.

Bourbon Street Beat, Hawaiian Eye, and 77 Sunset Strip are interesting shows but I don't know if I'd want to have them on DVD.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'd be interested in Mr. Novak season 2, Please Don't Eat The Daisies and Many Happy Returns. Some years ago there was talk that Please Don't Eat The Daisies would be released but it has yet to happen.

Bourbon Street Beat, Hawaiian Eye, and 77 Sunset Strip are interesting shows but I don't know if I'd want to have them on DVD.
I don't know about the first one, but I sure would like the other two out on DVD.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
There's also The Return of Captain Nemo, a 3-hour mini-series (that aired in three 1-hour segments) with Jose Ferrer and Burgess Meredith from 1978.

True, the Archive did already release the feature-film cutdown (The Amazing Captain Nemo), but there are enough differences to warrant the release of the 3-hour version, not least of which is the fact that the second and third hours were heavily cut-down in the feature version.

Of course, that all would at least depend on whether they could locate decent prints of the original version.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
My big Warner Archive wants are Colt .45 and season 2 of Mr. Novak...I suppose we have at least an outside chance of seeing the latter. Would also certainly love to see any of the WB detective shows released, as well as The Alaskans, but am guessing those don't stand a chance with all the music clearance issues involved.

I'd be interested in many others mentioned in Neil Brock's list. Hopefully, we'll be pleasantly surprised by at least getting one pre-1980s series released in 2020. Fingers crossed...

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Assuming the vaunted "detective" shows are DOA due to the voluminous music issues, the one Archive title I'd still love to see is Temple Houston. I thought someone mentioned they were working on this at some point, but they've said that about other properties, like Colt .45 and we are still waiting. Anxiously.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm at a point with my collection that I've begun to drastically slow down my purchases. Sitting on at least 177 unwatched series of various lengths (1 to 10+ seasons) plus the stuff I'd like to rewatch constantly pulling at my time (and totally discounting the several hundred movies awaiting a viewing) it's becoming difficult to justify any additions. I'm just about at the point that it has to be a "Grail" show or a season of one I'm already collecting to make a purchase.

That said - I'd absolutely purchase each of these (although non are true grail shows for me):

No Time for Sergeants
The Thin Man
Please Don't Eat The Daisies
Huckleberry Hound
Quick Draw McGraw
Touche Turtle (maybe... not sure)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm at a point with my collection that I've begun to drastically slow down my purchases. Sitting on at least 177 unwatched series of various lengths (1 to 10+ seasons) plus the stuff I'd like to rewatch constantly pulling at my time (and totally discounting the several hundred movies awaiting a viewing) it's becoming difficult to justify any additions. I'm just about at the point that it has to be a "Grail" show or a season of one I'm already collecting to make a purchase.

That said - I'd absolutely purchase each of these (although non are true grail shows for me):

No Time for Sergeants
The Thin Man
Please Don't Eat The Daisies
Huckleberry Hound
Quick Draw McGraw
Touche Turtle (maybe... not sure)
Howie,

I too would be interested in most of those you mention, plus...
Cattanooga Cats / Motormouse & Autocat
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972)
These are the Days
CB Bears
Skatebirds / The Three Robonic Stooges
Yogi's Space Race (90-minute series)
Jana of the Jungle
The New Fred and Barney Show
Casper and the Angels
The New Shmoo
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980)
Trollkins
The Gary Coleman Show
Wildfire

~Ben

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Why they never did anything with COLT .45 is beyond me - they have exploited all the other WB Westerns - why it was never offered to Encore Westerns is beyond me. It's short run would give a broadcaster a good number of multiple runs. It's only two episodes shorter than SUGARFOOT, and one episode shorter than BRONCO.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
This is just a guess but I'm thinking that at this point in time, when recent releases were not remastered from the original elements but were taken from decades old transfers, such as Mr. Novak, taken from the old Turner one-inch tapes from the 80s, I don't think we'll see any more vintage series which do not have existing tape elements. When Turner owned the MGM library, he had every show transferred to tape, to the best of my knowledge. I don't believe Warner did the same with their holdings.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
WBA's March releases were very disappointing. At least, classic tv wise.

--jthree
Someone mentioned that on WBA's Facebook page they stated that there was a rights problem they were working on . This was a t least 3 years ago . A lot of us here were disappointed that Colt 45 never was released on DVD . Could be something as simple as clearing the publishing for the theme song . Still, I wish it was available - it's the only WB western that's not out .

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Both recent WAC MGM TV series that I have, A Man Called Shenandoah and S1 of Mr. Novak are about on par with each other in regard to the old 1980s Turner tape transfers used. Actually, Mr. Novak looks better as you can see here. My screen caps from the WAC DVD sets...
A novak wac 27.JPG

A novak wac 36.JPG

A novak wac 56.JPG

A Novak wac 75.JPG

Novak Tower 82.JPG

This is the most serious example of film source damage in Mr. Novak, in the last S1 episode, Senior Prom...not an insufferable fault, as it's duration is less than 40 seconds...the other 29 episodes are free from any serious film source damage...
Novak Tower 95.JPG
Novak Tower 94.JPG

A Man Called Shenandoah...
Locket 3.JPG

Locket 6.JPG

Locket 7.JPG

Locket 4.JPG

Locket 10.JPG

Madlyn 2.JPG

Notice the difference with Dr. Kildare, fully remastered from 35 mm OCN, released back in 2013-2015, when the Archive was still holding to a much higher standard for the MGM TV library...
A kim darby 4.JPG

A kim darby 2.JPG

A kim darby 13.JPG

Hays 16.JPG

I have The FBI seasons 1 to 6 thus far, and intend to eventually pick-up seasons 7 to 9. So far with what I've got of this series, these were all older transfers too. These came out during the same period where WAC was brilliantly remastering Dr. Kildare, Cheyenne, Maverick, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Lawman and even more obscure shows like Sam Benedict, Hank, Jimmy Stewart Show and Eleventh Hour...Hawkins looks like older transfers as well...I have all of these and everything's more than watchable to brilliantly sourced from vault OCN...
FBI 8.JPG

FBI 22.JPG

FBI 40.JPG

I haven't gotten around to picking up Bronk as yet, or McClain's Law, other later MGM series that I assume are also derived from the old Turner transfers? Can someone chip in with word on what Bronk and McClain's Law looks like, in comparison to these two standards?

I really hope we see S2 of Mr. Novak, S2 of Eleventh Hour, Cain's Hundred, The Islanders, Travels of Jamie McPheeters , Many Happy Returns, Harry's Girls and more that Peter and others have listed, albeit on older Turner transfers or not...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks