What's new

Rear Speakers and Sub not working in 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John I am using an Oppo to stream Net Flix and it wasn't in 5.1
I haven't been streaming NetFlix in a while, but I recall it offering 5.1. It might depend on which Oppo you are using. These days, I use the Apple TV for all streaming, because it just works best.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I have 4K Netflix streaming through a Sony UBP-800X and it shows DD 5.1. I can't speak for the basic Netflix, I havn't had that in a few years. Netflix claimed earlier this year that they would be streaming Atmos with the 4K package on a few movies/shows but I have yet to find any movies that do this.

For room correction your Denon should have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which does a very nice job. The mic, as stated above, is definitely the weak point but it gets the job done. The older versions of Audyssey were "fair" at best.

You should be able to take 8 readings. Take 3 at the main seating position starting with number one read at the center position, 3 just in front of the main seating position and then 2 right behind the main seating position. I take all my reading at ear height.
After all readings are done, I will use a SPL meter to check all speaker levels. I will typically bump the center channel 2-3 dB over the others for louder speech.

I normally do not change distance after Audyssey sets it because this is more of a timing setting. How fast does the sound hit the mic once the receiver sends it. I figure Audyssey can measure this more accurately than these old ears.

I also will make sure all speakers are set to Small unless the listener wants heavy bass. Then I will make the fronts Large and turn on Extra Bass. This sends bass to sub and fronts.

Not all rooms are the same so after doing these basics I will move around the room and listen to known sources and see if there are any bad spots that need to be tweaked.

Brian

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Forgot to answer the question about ARC. ARC would be a better choice than optical. I do not use either. I don't use ARC because with ARC you also get CEC which I do not want. Using a smart remote with CEC is a bad idea and can cause issues with devices turning off or on and getting out of sync.

I stream Netflix through the bluray player, Apple TV or Roku. Lately I have been using the bluray player because it does a great job on 4K content. I will get a new Apple TV eventually now that Amazon is on the device, just waiting for CES to see what is coming out.

Brian

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Brian sounds like you have been playing with the equipment a while. When you walked about the room were you looking for modes where the bass was heavier, or nodes where it was weaker? I started tweaking the system the old AVR by reading the owners manual on the speakers and setting the crossover to the sub where the speakers rolled off. Like I said it takes a lot of signals, familiar ones to hear the difference between settings. Being able to make adjustments by remote while sitting in the sweet spot helps a great deal. I used to set the volume on the sub by running log sweeps on AB loops from 100hz down to 10hz. Had to do this at the sub because it didn't have remote capabilities. Always got really close but the ARC system did a better job. Netflix probably is better today than when I used it. I will check it out eventually again. My daughter is using it on her phone. My equipment is mothballed because just had my first grandchild this year and the wires all had to get disconnected. House is getting remodeled and feels like a war zone. Happy new year everyone!

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Bob, Congratulations on the Grandchild, have two myself. They love coming over and watching movies on the "big" screen.

I am by no means an expert in audio. I know enough to be dangerous. When I move to different seating positions, I mainly want to see if I'm losing any bass. I had a job once where the client's wife sat closer to one speaker and she didn't like when it played too loud in her ear so I had to bring that one speaker down. It's not always the perfect sound but it works for the client.

I initially set subs at mid volume and the crossover all the way up. I don't want the sub doing any crossover work, I just want it to play what is sent to it. After running Audyssey or YPOA, etc I will check the receiver's crossover and if it's 80 or 100Hz I rarely change it. If it's higher or lower, I will listen in different spots in the room and then change it a few times to see if the sound gets better or worse.

When I use the SPL meter I will adjust the volume on the sub itself to get the level I am after. I don't do sweeps, I just use the white noise from the receiver. I'm impressed with your bass sweeps!

Have a great NewYear!!!

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Thanx for the kind words Brian. The grandaughter is a double edge sword. I love her to death but to totally give up the entire space for toys really is a bummer. It took me 3 years to get all the stuff set up and then the daughter moves home with grandchild and whole theater is put on ice. I'm not a baby but it hurts. Too bad she wasn't an addict and didn't need help. Anyway the best I can contibute is to say the room has to be dealt with. I have recently bumped into a lot of DYI room treatments on youtube. If you look hard and long there is some real scientific fine examples.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
When I first got my sub it suggested to set the volume at 3/4 of the full volume to start. I almost took out my windows. I was playing the Saint Seans pardon the spelling but the sub came with a disc to set it up containing log sweeps with various frequencies and music also. Mostly organ music. It had a 16hz organ pipe on one peice of music that almost took out the windows. After many calibrations and room correction it is at 1/3 volume.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
In setting up Apple TV, when I click on Enable HDR it says “we’ll check to see if your TV supports HDR”. Then a Check Device Power screen comes on and then “We switched your TV back to its previous format. You may need to choose Ultra or Deep color settings on your TV or try a different HDMI input.” In other words, Apple TV is giving me 4K standard, not 4K HDR.

My TV is Samsung 75MU8000

Attachments

• A35D93B3-2446-43E0-9237-8E5CF24D7ACA.jpeg
    A35D93B3-2446-43E0-9237-8E5CF24D7ACA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • 9929C7EB-BFC9-482F-BACE-0998432BC833.jpeg
    9929C7EB-BFC9-482F-BACE-0998432BC833.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 4877CBE1-CDA7-4C09-B66C-15EFF1407B0F.jpeg
    4877CBE1-CDA7-4C09-B66C-15EFF1407B0F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not debating weather you like Audyssey or not (it is your preference after all), just be aware the mic is calibrated to the AVR. It works well for most. The OP was asking basic questions. No reason to over complicate things.

FWIW - I also have a miniDSP calibrated mic but would never use it for Audyssey since the AVR would have no idea how it is calibrated. I use it with REW to setup my room and then use Audyssey to fix the remaining issues.

ETA - Netflix supports 5.1. They have for a long time. It works fine with my ROKU and Shield TV.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
In setting up Apple TV, when I click on Enable HDR it says “we’ll check to see if your TV supports HDR”. Then a Check Device Power screen comes on and then “We switched your TV back to its previous format. You may need to choose Ultra or Deep color settings on your TV or try a different HDMI input.” In other words, Apple TV is giving me 4K standard, not 4K HDR.

My TV is Samsung 75MU8000

Have you figured this out yet?

If not did you go into the TV's menu and select GENERAL ->EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER->HDMI UHD COLOR and then check on the input that Apple TV is on. Then change the settings on the Apple TV to send 4K HDR and see if it works.

Brian

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Have you figured this out yet?

If not did you go into the TV's menu and select GENERAL ->EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER->HDMI UHD COLOR and then check on the input that Apple TV is on. Then change the settings on the Apple TV to send 4K HDR and see if it works.

Brian

I had to do the following: Apple TV directly to the TV input box, and finally, I can get 4K HDR and at 4:2:2. I was unable to get this by going directly in to my receiver. With my blue ray player, it’s not an issue. (Blue ray in to the receiver, out to the ARC.)

HOWEVER, I’m back to the problem of before: i’m Unable to get 5.1 surround sound from Apple TV (Netflix), now using the HDMI ARC connections between TV and receiver. Ugh.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I had to do the following: Apple TV directly to the TV input box, and finally, I can get 4K HDR and at 4:2:2. I was unable to get this by going directly in to my receiver. With my blue ray player, it’s not an issue. (Blue ray in to the receiver, out to the ARC.)

HOWEVER, I’m back to the problem of before: i’m Unable to get 5.1 surround sound from Apple TV (Netflix), now using the HDMI ARC connections between TV and receiver. Ugh.

To add to this headache, I WAS getting 5.1sound from Apple TV when I was going directly in to the receiver but unable to get 4K HDR—and I tried everything!

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Put video back way you had it then try different audio connection. Desperate the 2 signals if you have 2

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Put video back way you had it then try different audio connection. Desperate the 2 signals if you have 2

I was only able to get 4K Standard that way, and not 4K HDR. But I’ll try again.

Audio wasn’t the problem when I had it going into my Denon. The 5.1 worked. However, I was unable to get 4K HDR by doing it that way.

Last edited:

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
What is the model number of your receiver? I know on my receiver I have to set up each input individually for output in SDR or HDR. I normally log in to the receiver using a computer and the ip address of the receiver to get into more detailed menus.

I've watched some movies in HDR and couldn't tell any difference from SDR and then there are a few that look really good in HDR. Just like Atmos, some movies sound really good and others fall flat.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
What is the model number of your receiver? I know on my receiver I have to set up each input individually for output in SDR or HDR. I normally log in to the receiver using a computer and the ip address of the receiver to get into more detailed menus.

I've watched some movies in HDR and couldn't tell any difference from SDR and then there are a few that look really good in HDR. Just like Atmos, some movies sound really good and others fall flat.

I have a Denon AVR-S530BT

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I believe Denon and Marantz use the same menu system since they are owned by the same company.

First make sure you are on the Apple TV input.

Use the Denon remote and go to the receiver menu. Then NETWORK->INFORMATION. Here you should see the IP address.

Now on a computer type the ip address into the address bar on Chrome, Explorer, etc. This should bring up a setup menu for the receiver. Go to: VIDEO->OUTPUT SETTINGS

From here you can change the input settings for how the image is sent out. I normally have Video Conversion-On, ip Scaler-HDMI, and Resolution(HDMI)-Auto.

I turn on Video Conversion so the volume shows on screen, if it is turned off you will not see the volume level when you change volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks