What's new

Rear Speakers and Sub not working in 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I cant get any sound from my rear speakers or sub in my 5.1 system. I have a Samsung 75mu8000 TV. Only the 3 front speakers work.

The rear surround speakers and sub are configured correctly. I tried the setup mike that came with the Denon receiver and each channel plays. But when I play one of the configuration DVDs (wow or video essentials), the rear speakers and sub don’t play sound when prompted to do so. The receiver lists “pro logic” and Dolby digital isn’t even an option on its display. Here is the sound menu of my Sony 4K blue ray player.

Dale
BBB03149-E49D-400C-A4D7-1B35FF73ADA7.jpeg

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Here are the two sound menus from my TV

Attachments

• B4C7F872-E8DE-41C6-A894-DB790F2E8D95.jpeg
    B4C7F872-E8DE-41C6-A894-DB790F2E8D95.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 22C0A76D-E44B-4692-96BB-58E77C77DCC9.jpeg
    22C0A76D-E44B-4692-96BB-58E77C77DCC9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I should also say that I’m using the TV’s connection box and the One Connect and 4(ARC) connections.

Attachments

• 7B909645-A4DF-4EA0-83D1-9DB9294EF4BF.jpeg
    7B909645-A4DF-4EA0-83D1-9DB9294EF4BF.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 90

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll take a wild guess that you’re running the audio through the TV, using it to switch your sources. That usually converts all audio to two channel, eliminating 5.1.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I have the receiver going to TV connector box (HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC). Is that the issue?

DVD player to HDMI 1 on TV

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is the blu ray player connected to? The TV or the receiver. It should be connected to the receiver.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
the blu ray player is going to HDMI input 1 on the TV connector box. Geek squad guy, who mounted the TV, suggested it. Prevents image degradation, blah, blah, blah.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD player to HDMI 1 on TV
I don't know if you edited that or I missed it, but that's your problem. Connect all sources to the receiver and use it for switching, then pass the video on to the TV. That is how everything is designed to be used. No point in arguing about it, that's simply how the world works. A lot of people insist on using the TV to switch sources, and if you intend to do it that way, forget about surround sound. Everything will be mixed down to 2 channel.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
the blu ray player is going to HDMI input 1 on the TV connector box. Geek squad guy, who mounted the TV, suggested it. Prevents image degradation, blah, blah, blah.
The Geek Squad guy is a complete, blithering idiot and you should get your money back. ANYONE here knows this and will back me up on that. That is NOT how to connect things. It's all digital. There's no image degradation. Unbelievable!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, if you look around a bit, you'll find hundreds, if not thousands of threads about this exact same problem. You'll also find the same suggestion on how to fix the problem in every one of them.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, if you look around a bit, you'll find hundreds, if not thousands of threads about this exact same problem. You'll also find the same suggestion on how to fix the problem in every one of them.
Thanks for the help and sound advice (no pun intended).
Merry Christmas.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh! I just noticed you said it's a 4K player, which might throw a wrench into things. If those Geeks sold you a receiver that isn't 4K compatible, then you have a different problem. If the receiver doesn't have 4K compatible hdmi and the player doesn't have dual hdmi outputs, then you can NOT get high res surround sound, because you HAVE to connect the player to the TV for it to work. This stuff gets complicated, and it doesn't help when the tech expert has no idea what he's doing. In fact, that might be why he said you have to connect the player to the TV.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
John is correct. Send all signals to the receiver and then to the display. Call the Geek squad and tell them the guy they sent out needs more training and get some interconnects or other hardware for free for your aggravation. Threaten them that you are going to return the gear. You shouldn't have to put up with this shit at the price they charge.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I have an Oppo and it has two outputs that are HDMI. I run the audio to the preamp or in your case the AVR. I run the video straight to the display. If your Blu ray player has this do it if not go to the receiver for all. The amount of degredation on the video will not be noticed unless you have a very good signal and your display has been calibrated by an ISF calibrater. Also if you know what to look for. The more you learn you will have the double edge sword that you will notice stufff you wouldn't have if you didn't know. Hardest thing on video is the contrast ratio. Takes alot of viewing with a wide range of signals to nail it. Test discs by Spears and Munsil will get you very close, and then small adjustments will get it as good as it is posible. For video check out the Sourcerers Apprentice, and for audio check out The Transformers Dark of the Moon. Killer black and white and color saturation on the Sourcerers Apprentice and audio on the Dark of the Moon has some of the lowest bass I've come across to crossover your sub. Good luck and thank John for the spot on help.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
What is the HDMI (ARC) inputs used for? I have them on the TV and receiver. Is that just for getting audio to the receiver for Netflix movies?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is the HDMI (ARC) inputs used for? I have them on the TV and receiver. Is that just for getting audio to the receiver for Netflix movies?
The only real purpose of the ARC feature is to get audio from the apps in a smart TV back to the receiver without adding a second (usually optical) cable.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I'll be honest with you from what I remember in my system it remembered the last source you had on the reciever automatically and it enabled other things between components I just don't remember. I had that option on an AVR from Onkyo. I am using Anthem equipment now all seperates and don't even know if I enabled it or not. I have an Anthem AVM60 and an Anthem P5 Statement 5 channel amp for my 4 large ADS L1290/2 speakers and a self built center channel to match using all same drivers and crossovers.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 20160624_070905.jpg
    20160624_070905.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I stream movies from Vudu and used to use Netflix. The Audio on Vudu is sooo much better. I had an app on the Oppo and had it hooked up with cat.5 to the internet Verizon Fios. 50 up and 50 megs down. I have a 3D display and it required 25 megs to get both surround sound and 3D video. Check out vudu compared to netflx.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks