What's new

Help with Ceiling Speaker Layout (1 Viewer)

Hicks86

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody H
Hi, I'm planning to install some ceiling speakers in my front room. I plan to start with a stereo setup and then a little bit later add a center, then a sub, and maybe eventually 5.1 surround. I just don't really know where the best place in the room to install the ceiling speakers would be. I have a 17 x 13 room with the TV on one end of the 17' and the couch on the other end. I'm not looking to impress anyone with my system, I just want to upgrade from my sound bar and have some motivation since my dad gave me a decent Yamaha receiver to use for my setup.

I know that the speaker placement for just stereo might not work for adding in the surround speakers down the line (but I'm not sure about that). Most visual representations I see online show speakers behind the couch, or sitting area, and never show that sitting area up against the back wall. So in my case the rear speakers would need to be directly overhead? I attached a PDF of the basic layout of my room with an approximate location of the stereo speakers shown. Any-who, I thought this might be a good place to start figuring this out. I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Living Room Layout.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 201

Hicks86

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody H
...Was it something I said?

awkward silence GIF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm surprised you still haven't received any responses, but the folks around here tend to not get very excited about setups with only in-ceiling speakers. That type of system is really only suitable for background music. It's far from desirable for theater use. In-ceiling is ideal for the Atmos speakers, but not any other use. Are you intent on only in-ceiling speakers?

Hicks86

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody H
I could put a couple in the wall behind the couch too. The wife isn't too keen on putting anything on the wall behind the TV. But, like I say, I'm not trying to impress anyone. I like the look of the built in speakers. I will also put in a floor sub as well. I'm really just spit-balling ideas right now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, you're better off with a decent soundbar than in-ceiling speakers in the front.

SmCaudata

Agent
Real Name
TJ
While I haven't experienced them personally, I've seen people say they get decent results from the new in ceiling LCR type speakers like the Focal 300 ICLCR5. There are countless other examples but I listed this just because you can actually download the spec sheet that shows off-axis response. You can select the speaker to be a right, left or center. Later you could put two in the back.

I searched for the 100 series Focal for reviews and some people on Crutchfield gave them respectable reviews. One guy apparently swapped out discrete 7.1.

It's the internet and review sources can't be verified, but just food for thought.

The alternatives would be a soundbar. You can get a multichannel passive soundbar if you want to use a receiver for AV switching. If not, many of the powered sound bars actually doe reasonably well. I have a GoldenEar 3d array passive soundbar that I actually like quite a bit. I also have a sonos beam paired with a sub. Honestly, the Sonos beam being fed by the ARC does an admirable job and has the bonus of working with my other sonos speakers that I have for my whole house music. The GoldenEar setup sounds better, gives better separation between left and right, but it also cost quite a bit more when adding in a sub and receiver.

I'd go listen to the angled in ceilings somewhere if you can. If the sounds is disconnected from the video, go soundbar.

Lastly, I will say that 17 feet from the television is a long ways away. Do you think you could negotiate screen and an ultra short throw projector? The screen could hide in wall speakers. If you went retractable then you'd have 3 painted grills instead of television hanging on the wall. I think the in-wall speakers may actually be better looking than a blank TV.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
..Was it something I said?

Of course not but less than 2 days elapsed between your first and second posts, so...

Lastly, I will say that 17 feet from the television is a long ways away. Do you think you could negotiate screen and an ultra short throw projector? The screen could hide in wall speakers. If you went retractable then you'd have 3 painted grills instead of television hanging on the wall. I think the in-wall speakers may actually be better looking than a blank TV.

I agree. If this is your primary entertainment room then I would seriously consider a drop screen and projector if budget allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks