What's new

New (Custom) Home - Looking for Advice on Home Theater Setup (1 Viewer)

cchristian6

Auditioning
Real Name
Cameron
Hello All,

My wife and I are building a new house and I am trying to plan for a new/upgraded home theater system. Since we are just starting construction we can easily plan for running speaker wire or conduits as necessary.

I don't have a strict budget. I was thinking around 8k, but could flex higher or spend less if it's unnecessary. This would include the receiver. If it makes sense, we can re-use some of the speakers we have now. If not, i'll use them in our bedroom. In our current house we have 2 Cambridge Audio S-30N speakers, 1 S50 center speaker, and a RW-12D subwoofer.

My thought was to do a 5.1.4 system, but am open to any suggestions. We've also got an outdoor area where we'd like to build in some ceiling speakers for music (probably 4).

If it helps, I've included a plan of our living room. Ceilings are 10' tall. The rear speaker at the bottom right corner is going to be awkward to place, but we'll figure something out.

Looking for any equipment/layout recommendations. Thanks in advance for any help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, in a 5 channel system (not counting Atmos) the surrounds should go to the side of the viewing area, not behind it. So, you have a perfect place for the right one on that small bit of wall, right in line with the grill. Then you have the L/C/R and sub(s) in the front, and Atmos speakers in-ceiling at about the width of the L&R with one pair about 35-40 degrees forward of the viewing position and another about 35-40 degrees behind the viewing position. It all works out pretty well for the main viewing position on the sofa.

To clarify, in a 5 channel surround system, the surrounds are on the sides, then with 7 there's another pair behind the viewing position, usually on a rear wall, not the side wall. Atmos speakers are ideally always in the same positions. In-ceiling with one pair forward of the viewing position and another pair behind, if there is space for them.

cchristian6

Auditioning
Real Name
Cameron
John,

Thanks for the feedback. From looking at the Atmos website and a few other places it looks like the "ideal" location for the side speakers would be to the side and slightly behind the viewing position. But i think you're right. Hopefully a few degrees isnt a big deal. Id much prefer to do an in-wall speaker than have a speaker stand right in the middle of circulation space and up against the glass.

Any recommendations on speaker and/or receiver brands? Ideally, id like to have a sperate controllable zone for a few spears in the outdoor kitchen.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John,

Thanks for the feedback. From looking at the Atmos website and a few other places it looks like the "ideal" location for the side speakers would be to the side and slightly behind the viewing position. But i think you're right. Hopefully a few degrees isnt a big deal. Id much prefer to do an in-wall speaker than have a speaker stand right in the middle of circulation space and up against the glass.

Any recommendations on speaker and/or receiver brands? Ideally, id like to have a sperate controllable zone for a few spears in the outdoor kitchen.
What about having speakers on small shelves? In-wall speakers are just a serious sacrifice and limitation. There are better options. You can install a shelf anywhere.

cchristian6

Auditioning
Real Name
Cameron
Really rough sketch of speaker placement below. The one circled in red is the problem. I could do a speaker on a stand there but it might look a little awkward and may or may not get wife approval.

Why are the in-wall speakers inferior? Are they inferior even if they have an enclosure and are not open-backed?

Will in-wall vs bookshelf speakers be noticeably different in quality for the 2 side speakers?

1614868520036.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks