What's new

New Construction trying to figure out speaker layout and looking for advice (1 Viewer)

javalsu

Auditioning
Real Name
Javier Sosa
It's an open plan and the living room will be facing a fireplace with a tv mount and two built-ins on either side.

I think I've decided on either 3.1.2 or 5.1.2.
In front, I'll have a center channel (probably wall mounted under TV) and two bookshelf speakers in the built-ins.
Everything else will have to be in-ceiling and that's where I get stuck.

No matter what I'm thinking two in-ceiling speakers for atmos and can work out the placement with the builders.
But what I'm trying to figure out is if I should also have two rear surround speakers also mounted in-ceiling. Can't really do wall mounting as it flows into the open dining room and don't want to have speaker stand on the floor.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark20175

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Mulholland
I was in your position back in 1992 when we built our house. A friend advised me to run twin coax and 8-wire thermostat cable to every room in the house except the bathrooms. These days, I would run two Cat-6 ethernet cables with the thermostat wire. The good news is that you can run them yourself because you don't have to be a licensed electrician to run low-voltage wires. Do it when the frame is up but before the interior walls are installed. Pick a Sunday or other day off for the construction guys so you don't get in their way. You really don't have to decide now where your speakers will go. Pick an approximate location and make sure you curl up several feet of additional wire. Most important, take pictures of your installation so that you remember where everything is installed. If you'd like, you can install blank wall plates where the wire is curled up. I've got blanks in my dining room and master bedroom for remote speakers we never installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamri
Recent bookmarks