What's new

Rear Speakers and Sub not working in 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I’m going to try another cable, as suggested by the previous link, but I’m not optimistic. Leave it to me to experience an issue that’s stumped even the hometheaterforum community.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My Apple TV 4K also fails the HDR test on my TV. Try running it in 4K HDR 24hz. I think the problem with my TV is that it wont do HDR at 60hz.

If that works set the display mode to 4K SDR 60hz and make sure that you enable native content display. That way your Apple TV will play movies in 4K HDR 24 hz and play your menus at 4K SDR.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
My Apple TV 4K also fails the HDR test on my TV. Try running it in 4K HDR 24hz. I think the problem with my TV is that it wont do HDR at 60hz.

If that works set the display mode to 4K SDR 60hz and make sure that you enable native content display. That way your Apple TV will play movies in 4K HDR 24 hz and play your menus at 4K SDR.
4K HDR 24hz isn’t an option. 4K HDR 50hz is the lowest K HDR setting available and it didn’t work.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Go to Format and then click on "other formats". All formats from 4K HDR 60hz to 480p SDR will be available.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Allow me to thank everyone that has tried to help me. You have better things to do, I know, so it’s appreciated.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Go to Format and then click on "other formats". All formats from 4K HDR 60hz to 480p SDR will be available.
Okay, let’s do this slowly. I was able to select 4K HDR 30Hz and also 24Hz. Which do you suggest? Then what?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Select 4K SDR as your format. Under "Match Content" select "Range and Frame Rate".

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
4K HDR 24hz isn’t an option. 4K HDR 50hz is the lowest K HDR setting available and it didn’t work.
Okay, let’s do this slowly. I was able to select 4K HDR 30Hz and also 24Hz. Which do you suggest? Then what?
this is what I’m looking at, so please use the words here. Native content? Display mode?

Attachments

• B999C16F-3FBD-4BF7-B390-58B6E3C55FE0.jpeg
    B999C16F-3FBD-4BF7-B390-58B6E3C55FE0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That looks right. Now anything you play will be in it's native format.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
That looks right. Now anything you play will be in it's native format.
This is what I have now. I don’t see how that changed anything. I still can’t enable HDR. I’m still at 4:2:0, still at 4K SDR. I was able to change all of these when I went directly to the TV. I thank you, though, for the help.

Attachments

• F528073D-E33B-4C6D-A7E2-A568C64F0B69.jpeg
    F528073D-E33B-4C6D-A7E2-A568C64F0B69.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Did you watch any 4K HDR content? Did it display in HDR? If so that is all you need to do.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Ignorant question of the day: how to determine when something displays in HDR? Do I pause the Netflix movie and go to the Apple TV settings and see?

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I keep coming back to this: why can I get the desired settings when I plug right into the TV and not the receiver, which is sacrilege from what I hear from everyone? Unfortunately, 5.1 isn’t available then.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Am I disappointed? Yes.

But I am so thankful for the help, but also so damn quizical at why my issue has everyone stumped.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Didn't you mention that the 4K Bluray works through the receiver? Just to test it, I would take the HDMI cable out of the bluray player and plug it in to the Apple TV and see what happens. It could still be a setting in the receiver for the input you're using for A-TV.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Will try it Thursday, but the fact that we have to even try it speaks volumes.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't you mention that the 4K Bluray works through the receiver? Just to test it, I would take the HDMI cable out of the bluray player and plug it in to the Apple TV and see what happens. It could still be a setting in the receiver for the input you're using for A-TV.
Nothing.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
IF I solve this, believe me, I will post the solution because the HomeTheaterForum is stymied.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Hey guys I am home and would like to try to help. Dalel let me know your equipment all of it and I can google the owners manual and see what you guys are talking about. I still am using 2010 technology. 1080p 58 inch 3D Plasma. I have gone into object based audio but am hesitant on the display as of yet. The September issue of Widescreen Review has a few articles on HDR. I suggest you read it. There seems to be two ways of sourceing the movies or recording them it is confusing. There is a mention of Metadata that talks to the equipment to tell it how to render it. All right it is worse than I thought. SMPTE society of motion pictures and television engineers worked to define a few different methods of adding dynamic meadata in their 2094 specification. One from Dolby one from Phillips one from Technicolor and one from Samsung. Just not 100% standardized yet. Us old guys have seen this time and time again and it will eventually settle down to 1 way.
Still send me some info on your gear and I will try to understand the way to get what you are looking for. I have been aggravated for years over the old gear with dedicated digital inputs analog only digital coax and fiber optic. Some times you had to tell the input what to do. Pain in the ass. Don't get discouraged it is complicated.
Brian has been awesome in trying to help you. Wish more people in the world like him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks