What's new

Rear Speakers and Sub not working in 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Just discovered that my Denon receiver only has one hdmi output and that’s the ARC output

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I’ll take a wild guess that you’re running the audio through the TV, using it to switch your sources. That usually converts all audio to two channel, eliminating 5.1.

Not true. Most new TV's will pass through 5.1 channels including DTS 5.1 through optical. The problem is that it will be PCM and not bitstream which is the only way to get full HD surround.

The bluray player you have should have two outputs on the back. Leave 1 connected to the TV and connect HDMI 2 on the bluray to an input on the receiver. You have the setting correct on the bluray to get full HD surround over bitstream. Make sure that output setting on the bluray is turned on for both outputs. Now try it and see how it sounds.

Some movies do not send a whole lot of sound through the rear speakers. Set the Denon to AUTO for surround mode and then hit DISPLAY to see what the incoming signal is and what speakers are being used.

Brian

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not true. Most new TV's will pass through 5.1 channels including DTS 5.1 through optical. The problem is that it will be PCM and not bitstream which is the only way to get full HD surround.

The bluray player you have should have two outputs on the back. Leave 1 connected to the TV and connect HDMI 2 on the bluray to an input on the receiver. You have the setting correct on the bluray to get full HD surround over bitstream. Make sure that output setting on the bluray is turned on for both outputs. Now try it and see how it sounds.

Some movies do not send a whole lot of sound through the rear speakers. Set the Denon to AUTO for surround mode and then hit DISPLAY to see what the incoming signal is and what speakers are being used.

Brian

I couldn't find anything specific on this TV. The ARC and/or optical typically passes 5.1 for internal apps only. If you know better, please show me where to find this (not saying you are wrong, it just hasn't been the norm for many years).

Also, if you have a 4k receiver, why would you use 2 HDMI connections? I've heard of cases where this messes things up more than helps (BR Player gets confused and starts sending sound based on the TV capability). I use it because I have no choice, but if I had the choice I would not.

And the Disney WOW will send sound to all the speakers. It is not the source that is the problem here.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And BTW - Even if it is true that the TV will pass 5.1 sound, it is still bass ackwards. The AVR is the brains of the system. What happens if you want to play a CD? Do you have to have the TV turned on to get sound????

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just discovered that my Denon receiver only has one hdmi output and that’s the ARC output
That’s fine. You can use it, you just won’t use the ARC, except for internal apps.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I couldn't find anything specific on this TV. The ARC and/or optical typically passes 5.1 for internal apps only. If you know better, please show me where to find this (not saying you are wrong, it just hasn't been the norm for many years).

Also, if you have a 4k receiver, why would you use 2 HDMI connections? I've heard of cases where this messes things up more than helps (BR Player gets confused and starts sending sound based on the TV capability). I use it because I have no choice, but if I had the choice I would not.

And the Disney WOW will send sound to all the speakers. It is not the source that is the problem here.

Here is a link to what some TV's will pass through on both optical and ARC. The MU8000 with pass through 5.1.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

David is right that the best way to connect your devices is through the receiver first. I should have stated in my response that a quick way to test the system would be to use the second output on the bluray player. I apologize, I was getting ready for work when I responded this morning.

Another downside to connecting everything to the TV and not having the receiver in the middle is that you would not be able to see the receiver menus. While playing a movie you should be able to press the INFO or DISPLAY button on the Denon remote and see a page that shows what format is being played and which speakers are being used.

Let us know how it works.

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, what about HD audio?

Yes, I got a detail wrong with that TV, but I disagree with encouraging anyone to connect their sources to the TV. We're arguing over not doing something that's just a bad idea. Plain and simple.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
John, later we can debate if component is better than S-Video for a better picture, lol. We can all agree that optical has been a bad idea for a long time and the system was connected wrong to take full advantage of the Denon.

I appreciate all the great info from everyone here.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I finally have things working.

Question about Netflix 5.1 movies.
Will the ARC connection do the job or will I need to use an optical audio cable?
Playing a 5.1 Netflix movie now and the receiver posts it as “multichannel stereo” TV not DTS or Dolby digital.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I hate Netflix audio. I never got real discreete surround sound. I googled the subject and it said Netflix didn't have real surround sound. I started using VUDU. There picture is much better and the surround is fine. Not as good as a disc but blows away Netflix.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Now that its all working get a test disc, Spears and Munsil 2nd edition and a SPL meter and check all the settings. Enter all your distances in the receiver manually after you measure. After all the amplitude settings are done with the full bandwith pink noise then experiment with the crossover to the sub. Put on familiar bass and sit at your seating position and AB loop some really low bass. Make sure the volume is not so high that you are hearing distortion, but as heavy as you can before it craps out. Then with your remote change the crossover in the receiver around 10hz at a time and see where it sounds the most accurate. I used the Transformers Dark of the Moon bluray begining at chapter 19 upwards. There is a scene where one of the Deceptagons big spaceship gets fd up by 2 little bots, and when it comes down and crashes the signal gets lower and lower and lower. You can go up and down with the crossover point till it is heaviest and still no distortion. Good luck with the system and enjoy!

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
One last thing if the receiver has room correction and sets all parameters automatically with you using a microphone, use it and do the manual setup as well and see wich one sounds better. My last receiver was 350$ and the Audessey system it had did a poor job. I guess the more you spend the more powerful the algorithm and processor is. It's funny but my room correction is called ARC. Anthem Room Correction. It does a great job, came out better than all my tweaking. Have fun experimenting. Don't be intimidated or frustrated it takes time and practice to get all the complicated and pain in the A## settings as good as can be.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Do most of you launch Netflix from your Smart TV or from your blu ray player? Does it even matter when it comes to picture resolution or 5.1 sound?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do most of you launch Netflix from your Smart TV or from your blu ray player? Does it even matter when it comes to picture resolution or 5.1 sound?
Regarding NetFlix, or any streaming service, I find that the streaming device definitely makes a difference. My experience is that, in general, smart TVs and most Blu-Ray players (except maybe Oppo) produce lesser image quality, and tend to be twitchy. A good dedicated streaming device, like an Apple TV and, I assume, Roku, just work a lot better in every way. The image quality from my new Apple TV 4K, even with a regular HD TV, is noticeably superior to the Gen 3 Apple TV, which is superior to the other built-in streaming in other components I've tried. Bottom line, if streaming is important, and I suspect that it is or will be very soon to almost everyone, then it's a better use of money to not spend $ for upgraded streaming in the TV, and spend the savings on the dedicated streaming device of your choice.

NetFlix should be 5.1 on most content.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Now that its all working get a test disc, Spears and Munsil 2nd edition and a SPL meter and check all the settings. Enter all your distances in the receiver manually after you measure. After all the amplitude settings are done with the full bandwith pink noise then experiment with the crossover to the sub. Put on familiar bass and sit at your seating position and AB loop some really low bass. Make sure the volume is not so high that you are hearing distortion, but as heavy as you can before it craps out. Then with your remote change the crossover in the receiver around 10hz at a time and see where it sounds the most accurate. I used the Transformers Dark of the Moon bluray begining at chapter 19 upwards. There is a scene where one of the Deceptagons big spaceship gets fd up by 2 little bots, and when it comes down and crashes the signal gets lower and lower and lower. You can go up and down with the crossover point till it is heaviest and still no distortion. Good luck with the system and enjoy!

He already has WOW. Why get Spears and Munsil? Plus, if done properly, Audyssey does a very nice job. Even if you don't use the room correction, it will properly balance the speakers.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
just telling him the truth Dave. Audyssey didn't do dick for my system. Cheap uncalibrated mic and no results. Like I said I had a $350 AVR so maybe that is why. Never heard of WOW.
Regarding NetFlix, or any streaming service, I find that the streaming device definitely makes a difference. My experience is that, in general, smart TVs and most Blu-Ray players (except maybe Oppo) produce lesser image quality, and tend to be twitchy. A good dedicated streaming device, like an Apple TV and, I assume, Roku, just work a lot better in every way. The image quality from my new Apple TV 4K, even with a regular HD TV, is noticeably superior to the Gen 3 Apple TV, which is superior to the other built-in streaming in other components I've tried. Bottom line, if streaming is important, and I suspect that it is or will be very soon to almost everyone, then it's a better use of money to not spend $ for upgraded streaming in the TV, and spend the savings on the dedicated streaming device of your choice.

NetFlix should be 5.1 on most content.
John I am using an Oppo to stream Net Flix and it wasn't in 5.1

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Dalel I have the option of using the Oppo or the pre amp to decode the codecs. The Oppo has settings to make the signal PCM and Bitstream. I used to use the Oppo when I had the Onkyo AVR to process the codecs. It was stronger and better than the AVR. Now that I have seperates I am using the preamp to process the codecs. Dolby Atmos only works with the Blu ray player set to Bitstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks