What's new

2020 iPad and iPhone anticipations! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the link, Dave.

Not your fault, but there's a whole lotta nothing in that article.

We know the new iPhones are coming in October. That's a given.

We also suspected new iPads but the article states maybe mini-LED and maybe this year then goes on to say maybe 2021 and then finalizes it all by saying the leaker hasn't always been correct in his information.

Of course, this is usually what you get with these rumor articles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the link, Dave.

Not your fault, but there's a whole lotta nothing in that article.
unfortunately, it’s all small rumors confirming the existing rumors about later shipments and possible Fall product updates. But I like the macrumors links, over the simple tweet, because they give more context.

Im guessing we wont see any big new rumors until much closer to product releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know you are looking at the iPads, Dave. I hope you get one this year.

Kind of forced to go with a new iPhone. This will be the first 5G model and of course they are going with a new larger size so I'm in!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm planning to buy new iphones this year. The 8+ will be three years old. I'm looking forward to all the improvements the "X" form factor added plus the new hotness of 2012 models. I think the 12 Pro will be my choice.

FWIW, from what I've read so far, 5G probably won't really matter in 2020. Maybe your location will be particularly served well by 5G. But my impression so far is it's not a reason per se to upgrade. Maybe you've read differently; would be interested to learn more if so.

Upgrading from a 2019 iPad to a new iPad Pro remains of interest. But it's dropped down in my wishlist, with work travel done for forseeable future, and the meh update for the 2020 iPad Pro.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree with calling the October release date a 'delay'. Looking back the releases have been all over the map:

Yes, most years are september but they have been as early as March and as late as November. October is fine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
8 of 11 iPhones going back to the 4s have shipped in September. October and beyond are an anomaly. Apple knows this. And they recognize the apparent delay is significant enough they noted in an their earnings call, which they never do.

Yes, it’s fine. But it’s also a real delay likely caused by the pandemic. Both aspects can be true. :)

As I said for myself:
I need to get past September before I can drop $2000 on a pair of iPhones 12 Pro, so maybe for the best?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you bought an iPhone 11 on yearly program day 1 last year you should have gotten an email that you are eligible to upgrade again today =)

1597845505295.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife’s iPhone died after years of faithful service, and she decided to purchase the new version of the SE. This is a fantastic addition to the product line and it seems like it’s here to stay, which is great. A lot of people enjoy being in the Apple ecosystem and the basics of iOS without being interested in high end professional photography and videography on a handheld device. They don’t need to spend a thousand dollars a year on a device that’s incrementally faster than the one from last year. They need iMessage, access to the iTunes Store and their music collection, the ability to surf the web or scan a QR code, and the ability to take casual photos. I’m glad that Apple seems to have given up on the idea they had briefly flirted with when they eliminated the lower priced lines from their offerings. It’s great that they now seem committed to providing a quality product for people unable or unwilling to spend $1000 or more on a smartphone, and that decision will keep us in the Apple family.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The report also claims that an updated ‌iPad Pro‌ could arrive as soon as next month, presumably alongside new iPhones at Apple's usual fall event. Rumors have however been mixed on when an updated ‌iPad Pro‌ sporting micro-LED technology may arrive, with the earliest projections claiming this fall, and the latest claiming the first half of 2021.

If there’s an iPad Pro coming, will it be with an A13 or the upcoming A14 SoC?

Is this another IPad 3 to iPad 4 release oddity, but instead of retina, getting LIDAR released?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FWIW, from what I've read so far, 5G probably won't really matter in 2020. Maybe your location will be particularly served well by 5G. But my impression so far is it's not a reason per se to upgrade. Maybe you've read differently; would be interested to learn more if so.

I see your point, Dave. This is very interesting though I am not a huge Rene Ritchie fan

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like RR, but I don’t have time for his videos. :)

there’s a lot written about 5G, I could probably find a link. But I don’t really watch YT videos for news/info, so can’t help from that perspective.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just read that September 10th is being floated around as being the date for Apple's big event.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks