What's new

Apple Event Sept 2016 (iPhone "7" and more?) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
it speaks to the maturity of the iPhone and the seemingly exhaustive rumor-reporting that no one cares to create an iPhone 7 thread just weeks ahead of the event. But that's the boring tech world of 2016 :)

“iPhone 7: No Headphone Jack! Dual Cameras, and More”
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-7/

I've got an iPhone 6s, so don't plan to upgrade this year. And I'm happy for it. Rumors of headphone jack deletion don't excite me, and I want another year of dongle-less use of my Bose headphones before trying to embrace our powerless headphone overlords.

But my wife tells me her hand down iPad 3 is too slow, so it's time for me to upgrade my iPad so she can have my iPad Air 2. I didn't want to upgrade in 2016, but... So I'm hopeful Apple releases some new hotness in the iPad line this fall, and doesn't make me wait to next Spring for a new iPad.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone 7 most likely. I finally replaced the battery in my iPhone 6 that was only lasting 10 min in best cases. So it is time not very excited about the headphone jack going away but I understand they wanted to do it this year before the massive changes coming in the iPhone 8.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does 2017 bring us the iPhone 8? Or iPhone 7s, since they've been doing "s" on alternate years. Or maybe iPhone 10 for the 10th anniversary? :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think we know everything about the new iPhone 7. This is no longer a world where Apple can keep a secret. It's amazing all the stuff that has leaked, and in the past, we know those leaks are generally accurate.

No, unless we are missing something substantial, this new iPhone will not be revolutionary. Even worse, it won't be evolutionary.

It's supposed to be only a little faster. It's supposed to have a dual lens camera. We know about the headphone jack deletion.

So, what is here to excite all of us? I suppose if there is anything that is still being kept secret, we will know that in a little over a week.

I have the iPhone 6S Plus.

I will probably upgrade to the 7 Plus. The only reason why is because Apple is now offering their yearly upgrade program online instead of having to go to the store. So, I might as well get a new one every year. I can get more than half the price off by selling my phone on Gazelle.

Apple isn't promising anything revolutionary until iPhone 8. That will happen in 2017/18 with the release of the iPhone 8 on the 10th anniversary of the device. Rumors are it will be an all-glass phone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think we know everything about the new iPhone 7. This is no longer a world where Apple can keep a secret. It's amazing all the stuff that has leaked, and in the past, we know those leaks are generally accurate.

No, unless we are missing something substantial, this new iPhone will not be revolutionary. Even worse, it won't be evolutionary.

It's supposed to be only a little faster. It's supposed to have a dual lens camera. We know about the headphone jack deletion.

So, what is here to excite all of us? I suppose if there is anything that is still being kept secret, we will know that in a little over a week.

I have the iPhone 6S Plus.

I will probably upgrade to the 7 Plus. The only reason why is because Apple is now offering their yearly upgrade program online instead of having to go to the store. So, I might as well get a new one every year. I can get more than half the price off by selling my phone on Gazelle.

Apple isn't promising anything revolutionary until iPhone 8. That will happen in 2017/18 with the release of the iPhone 8 on the 10th anniversary of the device. Rumors are it will be an all-glass phone.
That bothers me and may cause me to change to another manufacturer in the future. I understand about wireless and bluetooth, but at times, I prefer to use my headphone jack.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I understand this correctly --- and don't take this as first-hand knowledge -- I think there will be adapters to still be able to plug your headset into the phone. If I am correct, that adapter will share the power plug with the headphone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I understand this correctly --- and don't take this as first-hand knowledge -- I think there will be adapters to still be able to plug your headset into the phone. If I am correct, that adapter will share the power plug with the headphone.
It's still forcing me to buy an adapter. Now, if they supply the adapter with the phone then I might reconsider.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I think you're a bit jaded, Ron.

Dual-lens camera itself is pretty evolutionary, possibly revolutionary. It seems assured this will be "evolutionary"; it's not going to be a repeat of the 6s/6s+ internals.

We're several years past the low-hanging fruit of the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4. The perceived pace of improvement is guaranteed to slow. Now it's more nuances, refinement, integration, and the occasional new feature like Apple Pay.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My first iPhone was the iPhone 3GS, which I had from its release in 2009 until 2012. I've had the iPhone 5 since 2012, and it's still working just fine. I almost never use it for photos or video, so the fact that they newer models have better cameras doesn't really make a difference to me. The storage capacity on my phone is enough for my needs. The battery generally will last the entire day without needing to be charged. I use it primarily for calls, texting, reading the newspaper on my commute to work, and reading HTF on my commute home from work. I also use the wireless Oppo and Onkyo apps to help control my home theater setup.

I'm really pleased with how long the phone lasted, and that it still works as well today as the day I got it. I plan on holding onto it as long as possible. It was glitchy for one night earlier in the year, and I was really hoping it would just hold together until the new phones were released, but after that one night, it's gone back to working perfectly, so who knows, maybe it'll hold out another year. I've never had a phone this long that help up as well. The iPhone 3GS, despite being in a case, started cracking at the rear near the connection port, and the battery life was almost nonexistent after three years. Compared to that, the iPhone 5 has held up a lot better, despite being used in near identical conditions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The camera is important to me. I use it almost daily. It's my everything camera: daily use, cats, home improvements, family events, vacations. And the differences between cameras every two years are significant. If I could afford it, I'd buy a new phone every year just for the camera.

In that sense, I'm very mainstream. The camera gets so much attention from Apple because it's practically a raison d'être for the iPhone.

The phone part is basically the part I use the least in the iPhone. I need it, and use it, but it's below text, web, apps, and email.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was pretty surprised at first that I wasn't using my iPhone camera more. That was a big part of my reason for getting my first one. Especially at the time I got my first iPhone, I went to a lot of concerts, and the ability to take photos and videos seemed like the greatest thing ever - especially because most artists won't let you bring in a camera, but won't stop you for using your phone. And then I got it, and found that if I was using my camera, I wasn't actually enjoying whatever the thing I was there for was. I can't flip that 'on/off' switch in my head when it comes to acting like a photographer - if I'm using the camera, I'm not watching the show, I'm trying to get the best picture possible, and I can't stop myself once I get started. Plus everyone else got the same idea around the same time, and now I can come home from a concert and find video from that performance on YouTube that someone else uploaded, so I don't have to miss the show to get a video anymore.

I rarely use the phone for phone calls too, but I have a sort of "on-call" type job (not officially, but it's treated as such), so being reachable is important - I don't make a lot of calls but the ones I do make tend to be ones I can't afford to miss.

No one is more surprised than me at how much I don't use the advanced stuff the phone is capable of. Not only that, my phone has practically eliminated my computer usage; now that I have the internet in my pocket, I rarely pull out my laptop. I thought I'd be someone who was always using and adding to his technology, but over the past few years, I've lost a lot of interest in computers and phones in and of themselves - I appreciate the work they can do for me, but I don't geek out over the device itself the way I used to. My fiance has the iPhone 6 and it came with a free iPad, and I'm equally shocked that we never use it. The ease of pulling the phone out of the pocket and having all of my info on it outweighs walking across the room to get the iPad which does have a larger screen but isn't logged into my Apple ID so doesn't have any of my data. Again, I'm totally shocked at this - I would have thought I'd be using the iPad on a daily basis, but it goes so long between uses that we end up having to charge it from scratch every time we want to use it, which is practically never.

I'm honestly not sure if this is just a phase I'm going through, or if these are just my new habits for life.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's still forcing me to buy an adapter. Now, if they supply the adapter with the phone then I might reconsider.

I wouldn't let the inclusion of an adapter or not stray me away from a brand that I have trusted and enjoyed. Now, if you are on the fence about going back to Android, that's another thing.

I think you're a bit jaded, Ron.

Dual-lens camera itself is pretty evolutionary, possibly revolutionary. It seems assured this will be "evolutionary"; it's not going to be a repeat of the 6s/6s+ internals.

For me, the camera is not the most important aspect of the phone, though I admit, I do use it often for Amazon product reviews.

Not that this is necessarily Apple's fault, but there really isn't anywhere to go with these phones when it comes to upgrades. Apple is now saying their major redesigned will be every two years. The iPhone 8 is going to be the next revolution.

I am sure you read as much Apple news as I do, and there are just too many reports out there of people not very interested in the leaks that have surfaced about the iPhone 7. Nothing to get overly excited about.

Still, I will be ordering:

iPhone 7 128GB
Apple Watch Steel
Macbook Pro 13" loaded

Only the iPhone and watch are supposed to be unveiled in September. There will be a separate event for the MacBook Pro, from what is being reported.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't let the inclusion of an adapter or not stray me away from a brand that I have trusted and enjoyed. Now, if you are on the fence about going back to Android, that's another thing.
Well, that's you. I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand, I just want products that fits my personal needs.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I don't think we're done with exciting evolutionary upgrades just yet. We're just in a little bit of a lull. The holdup right now is battery life. We need a revolution in battery tech so Apple can bring us the evolutionary iPhone upgrades they already have designed. These are things like virtual keyboards; holographic alerts; swipe-without-touching navigation; and fold-out OLED screens. All of this stuff will soak up the battery power.

But I'm convinced that in the next five years the battery power issues will be resolved and iPhones will evolve into a device that can totally fulfill the average person's complete computing requirements.
(And I can't wait for that first ESPN holographic score alert!)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Without a doubt, Joseph.

Batteries are the issue right now --- including with the iPhone Watch. Apple couldn't go ahead with their plans to offer an untethered watch this year because of battery issues.

In a few years, batteries will no longer be a problem. We will also have flexible screens on our phones as well.

For now, the upgrades will remain incremental.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

As far as I am aware, Amazon doesn't offer cash.

I would rather have the cash to immediately put towards another Apple product.

Very much appreciate you posting other options available, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks