What's new

2020 iPad and iPhone anticipations! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Seems time for a 2020 rumor / anticipation thread. We can break this apart into multiple threads if/when needed.

I want a new iPad Pro with keyboard case to replace my iPad 6; I was ready to buy last November. And this fall upgrade to iPhone 12 to replace three year old iPhone 8+.

Ongoing rumors of a March event, including iPad Pro release.
“Apple March 2020 Event Preview: iPhone 9, iPad Pro, AirTags | iMore”
https://www.imore.com/apple-march-2020-event-preview-iphone-9-ipad-pro-airtags

New and perplexing rumor for more new iPad Pro models this fall with 5G!
“The first report claims that the devices will be equipped with 5nm-based A14 chips — likely A14X for the iPad Pro — and support a combination of mmWave and sub-6GHz. Qualcomm is expected to supply its Snapdragon X55 modem for the iPhones, but the report does not specify which modem the iPads will use. ”
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/13/5g-ipad-pro-a14-chip-fall-2020-digitimes/

But the Corona virus may be a huge 2020 spoiler. This is affecting Chinese manufacturing, which will then affect the global economy
“DigiTimes: Apple Suppliers Gearing Up for iPhone SE 2, But iPhone 12 Production May Fall Behind Schedule [Updated] - MacRumors”
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/12/digitimes-iphone-12-production-may-fall-behind/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for starting this thread, Dave.

I already have the latest 12" Pro and there doesn't seem to be any huge design upgrades other than the camera and A chip.

Still, if you are behind a few years on an iPad, this would certainly be the one to get.

Most exciting for me is the possible release of AirTags.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I’d guessed the rumored new iPad Pro would not appear until Spring 2020, I’d have just gotten the current model on holiday pricing over Christmas. But here I am ... too late now to buy 18 month old design when the newness is a month away.

And the $329 iPad is great for content and travel. I take it everywhere. I’ve watched many seasons on Netflix on airplanes and hotels. But typing, like right now in HTF, is really meh on the on-screen keyboard. And multitasking on the 9.7” screen is basically unusable.

So I’m going to splurge on a 11” pro and keyboard cover and see if that makes it even more usable and fun for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://www.macworld.com/article/3527432/what-to-look-for-in-the-next-ipad-pro.html

My worry: new iPad Pro will jump from $800+ to $1000+ pricing, with the sitting of the rumored camera.

Rumor complexity: current iPad Pro is A12X. Spring iPad Pro presumably gets A13X, what’s in current iPhone. But rumor is A14X + 5G iPad Pro is coming this fall.

Mashing these together: could it be there’s a new backlit keyboard in March but no new iPad until a mega-Pro device this Fall?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There is zero chance of Apple releasing an iPad Pro with 13x in spring and 14x in fall.

There is a verrrrry slim chance of Apple releasing a 5G special edition with same chipset 6 months later, but it could happen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Rumors don’t know if there’s just a new 12.9” or also a 11” Pro.

Also, rumors are now out about delays on iPad production, as I’ve expected.

Sounds like 12.9” will be out initially and maybe 11” delayed to second half 2020.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed that Apple plans to release four to six products with mini-LED displays over the next two to three years, including a high-end 12.9-inch ‌‌iPad Pro‌ set for launch in the third quarter of 2020‌.”

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/24/innolux-to-supply-mini-led-panels-ipad-pro/

These rumors are perplexing. Again, rumors for iPad Pro updates in the Fall.
I’m wondering if there will be an 11” Pro refresh this March. And then in the Fall a 13” Pro complete overhaul with microLED and cameras and 5G.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The rumors are conflicted. They could be all right, all wrong, or a mix.

the 12.9” originally launched about five months before the 11”. They might need to stagger again due to manufacturing limits on new screen or camera.

Fall refresh for iPad seems weird: Apple seems to want the iPhone and iOS have its own space, not competing with other big hardware for media attention.

that said, I’m kinda expecting March 31 to have no iPads Pro, and they’re getting a big update this Fall. Because maybe there was a goal for Spring 2020, but mfg plus COVID 19 push it to Fall.

I’m ready to buy a new iPad Pro. Fingers crossed they’ll shut up and take my money late March. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The problem is that the rumor mill is always 1 year ahead of the current model line.

Yes, a new 12.9" iPad Pro could be launched next month. However, the spotlight is already on the future LED models that will be released by year's end or next year.

Same for the iPhones coming out this fall. Rumor mill is already talking about the better Qualcommmodems that will be used in the 2021 models.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That’s the odd part: it’s very un-Apple like to release a new iPad Pro in April and then update it again in October.

The March rumor is wrong or the Fall rumor is wrong, most likely.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That’s the odd part: it’s very un-Apple like to release a new iPad Pro in April and then update it again in October.

The March rumor is wrong or the Fall rumor is wrong, most likely.

I don't see there being two identical model releases in one year.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't stay up on this stuff anywhere near what the rest of you do. My interest at the moment is a lower end iPad. The latest base iPad was introduced late last year? I gave my old iPad to my 89 year old mother, who loves it. I have the previous base model, but I'm thinking of maybe a current iPad Air and giving mine to my mother. Are there any rumors of a new iPad Air? The $500 one. I wouldn't mind a speed boost over what I have, but not full Pro.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have no inside intel but personally I'd hope the Pro models wait until there is a working 5G chipset they can move to. Spring or Fall if it doesn't have 5g this year the iPad Pro will disappoint me.

And then there is this:
ERpRsG6XUAA9OoT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks