What's new

HTF Official WWDC 13 LIVE DISCUSSION Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got nearly everything. Mostly a summary. The Apple press sites will go more in-depth.

Thank you, all for being here. Now I am going to start reading through your replies.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That Mac Pro is crazy. Not sure if I want or need one yet. Happy with my iMac but if I was buying today it would prbably be the pro.

I will update my iPhone tonight. Dangerous. Would rather have done my iPad instead and done my primary phone down the road but no dice.

No retina on the new MBA = no reason for me to upgrade.

Will look for the new airports at Christmas with a 15% discount, with no new MBA I don't need one today.

Intrigued by iWork for iCloud. Hoping that iTunes comes to web browsers eventually, that would be neat.

Kinda hoped for a minor iCloud update that would double the song limit, but knew that was a longshot.

iOS 7 looks great to me, the haters will still hate but whatevs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually...

iOS7 just gave a huge kick in the groin to Android.

I am absolutely amazed at the operating system and all
its enhancements. It puts Jellybean to shame.

If I could pick an operating system, it would be iOS7.

But to go back to an iPhone to have it? I can't deal with
that tiny, scrawny screen after owning a Galaxy Note II.

Not trying to crap all over Apple, but that is their biggest
downfall in the eyes of many of us that switched over to
the other side.

I suppose I will just have to enjoy the new iOS7 on my
3rd generation iPad, if it is supported.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, iOS 7 will work on iPad gen 2 and above (also iPhone gen 4 and above, and iPad mini).

Now i am debating if I want to risk a beta iOS on my only iPhone. Sounds like Sam will make the leap.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They referenced it several times today Ron, one handed use is an important design principle for them and that's simply not practical (we won't debate possible) on the megaphones.

I am not going to make snap judgements on 7, I'm going to live with it for a few weeks before I make any calls.

Re the haters hating:
Still can't change base fonts and icons
Can't replace system apps (ie make google apps replace iOS maps)
Looks like a limited number of animation packs
"dumbed down" is a word I expect to hear more and more

etc.

Again for me it's the kind of evolution I want to see, but it isn't going to satisfy the tweaker urges. You may be impressed today but in 6 months Android will surely have things that make you pine for that again, and it's that mentality that Apple just doesn't care about nor those kinds of customers do they want.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
More in depth video than what was shown today:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

The way that Apple judo flips the "when will get that" bump sharing is hilariously awesome.

I think IOS7 is a significant improvement, though I don't know if I could say "most significant since the launch of the iPhone.." I mean, I would probably say 3 was, with introducing the (fixed) appstore, allowing direct on phone purchases, bluetooth connectivity, introduction of the video camera and find my iPhone..
But that doesn't mean IOS7 isn't nice. Some of the features are very nice; the improvements are subtle but solid, and I think a lot of people are going to be very happy.
That said, I don't see anything wildly revolutionary over the current IOS6, just a lot of refinement - which is a good thing. Sometimes people see someone say "it's a product refinement" and they don't take it as a real significant improvement; but sometimes those refinements make the product.

I thought it was a good show, just not a lot that 'blew my socks off".

In regards to the MacPro.. the two shops that I work with that are all MacPro are significantly unhappy but will go along; frankly, one of the nice things about the MacPro for them was the easy upgradability.. they just switched to Quadro 4000s a month or two ago; the idea of a system locked in that can only be expanded or altered externally is not their favorite thing.

I do dislike OSX Mavericks, but just the name. Some of the features shown are nice - but a lot of them don't seem to strike me as "wow! it's incredible!" Multimonitors are so common now that the "slick support for multimonitor" is just like joining the party years late. Still, it's a nice and welcome feature.

Good news on the Macbook Airs coming out with improved battery life, but as Sam pointed out, they aren't higher resolution screens, it's just a processor update it appears from looking at the Apple Store... so they get the benefits of a lower power CPU and components which benefit.. (Haswell over Ivy Bridge)

Still, it was a good presentation, I just feel like Apple is missing some of that magic factory they once conjured. I mean, and improved notification center is awesome, but I can't imagine people rushing to drop their Android/WP whatever and say "holy cow! Look at Apple's system center".

Their move to go all in on Bing for a search engine is interesting, it went a bit under the radar, but now that everything connects to the Bing backend, it's fighting words with Google.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ah ha! There are limits to the number of songs you can skip in iTunes Radio, just like Pandora.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
mattCR said:
I do dislike OSX Mavericks, but just the name. Some of the features shown are nice - but a lot of them don't seem to strike me as "wow! it's incredible!" Multimonitors are so common now that the "slick support for multimonitor" is just like joining the party years late. Still, it's a nice and welcome feature.
That name is terrible. They would have done much better to switch to house cat related names, starting with Mac OS X 10.9 (lives), "House Cat" (which could "purr-fect" features introduced in earlier releases). The releases after that could use cat breed names ("Siamese", "Persian"), coat patterns ("Calico", "Tabby", "Tuxedo") or other modifiers.

As for multiple monitor (extended desktop) support, Macs have had that for a very long time - long before the first version of Mac OS X was out, long before Windows supported this feature. It was Windows that joined the extended desktop party years late.

What Apple is talking about on their preview page is polishing multiple monitor support: putting a copy of the menu bar and the Dock on each monitor; altering the full screen mode introduced in Lion so it doesn't automatically "disable" secondary displays. Also, if you have hardware new enough to support AirPlay, the remote TV display is now treated as a first class citizen.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Thomas Newton said:
They would have done much better to switch to house cat related names, starting with Mac OS X 10.9 (lives), "House Cat" (which could "purr-fect" features introduced in earlier releases). The releases after that could use cat breed names ("Siamese", "Persian"), coat patterns ("Calico", "Tabby", "Tuxedo") or other modifiers.
Mac OS X 10.9 ("House Cat") running on a Haswell-based MacBook Air would, of course, sleep very efficiently.

Instead of "Wake on LAN", it would "Wake on CAN". (Or is that, "Insist on CAN"?)

The Safari home page would be a YouTube cat video, or perhaps "I Can Has Cheezburger".

(and no, I don't plan to give up my day job!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://daringfireball.net/2013/06/ios_7_signature"This is the first product of the post-Jobs Apple. The result shows that in some ways Apple’s software design has gotten better, because it was Jobs (and Forstall) who had a penchant for exuberant textures and gimmickry. Jobs’s taste in hardware was nearly perfect, but his taste in software had a weakness for the saccharine. Wood grain, linen, Rich Corinthian leather, etc. It was all just sugar for the eyes. This is a weakness Jony Ive’s software taste clearly does not suffer."http://frankchimero.com/blog/2013/06/generosity-of-perspective/"This morning, I watched the videos of the iOS 7 interface again, and I saw a bunch of rushed designers unable to stabilize an uneven interface.""As I look at the iconographic choices, color palette, and typography, there’s a tendency to ... undervalue more subtle ways of establishing graphic tone (such as the use of Helvetica as the primary typeface instead of something with more character and better suited for interfaces)."I find both of these capture my thoughts. The new design is exciting and refreshes the most important consumer product of the past decade. It shows that Apple pays attention and is willing to learn from others; this is clearly informed by Microsoft's Windows 8 nee Metro (and to a much lesser extent, WebOS nee Palm).But it's erratic. I was puzzled by the boldly simplified iconography juxtaposed with hyper-realistic graphics for the weather app. As if in doubt whether to go in one of two directions, they chose both. I'm also unsure because to date Translucency as a UI feature is ugly, distracting, and confusing (Windows Vista, OS X Snow Leopard). Can they make it work? Similarly gratuitous animations. The home-screen parallax reminds me of Dock Magnification: cool demo that soon becomes annoying. And Helvetica Neue Thin...Helvetic is a good font, but I'm unconvinced it's a good UI font.And after a year of reading how Apple is a dead man walking; how the company was nothing more than a cult of personality whose innovation is dead with Steve Jobs...sheboygan!!! I saw some exciting things, and I'm looking forward to a new phone this Fall. I've lost all interest in an Android phone.But Good News Everyone: the *&%$^-ing CoverFlow is finally gone!!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://thisisentropy.com/chatterbox/2013/6/12/start-preparing-for-ios-7-nowSimply put, pre-iOS 7 Apps running on the new OS stick out like a sore thumb - looking aged, clunky, and well…just ancient.In podcasts it's been speculated that those apps that anticipated this new style will get along fine in ios7. My guess is they'll suffer the worst. They will have a uncanny valley problem, looking close but not quote, and be even more offensive than conventional apps. More interesting is that the apps which are dull and boring, having used stock iOS UI elements, will get a major update for free and be among the best looking apps with minimal effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks