2020 iPad and iPhone anticipations!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There were rumors the new iPhones would actually be cheaper this year.

However, it looks like if this information is correct, the prices are the same. At least, that's comparing it to the current iPhone 11 Pro Max

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
iPhone 11 starts at $699.
The iPhone 12 rumored to start at $649 for the smaller 5.4" model.

Presumably that's what the "cheaper" rumors were getting part right. There will be a new, mainstream, new-release iPhone that is $50 cheaper than last years, which itself was $100 (?) cheaper than two years before that?

Yes, if you want to spend a lot of money, they still have great options to take all your money. But for many people, prices are coming down substantially on iPhones, which is remarkable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
iPhone 11 starts at $699.
The iPhone 12 rumored to start at $649 for the smaller 5.4" model.

Presumably that's what the "cheaper" rumors were getting part right. There will be a new, mainstream, new-release iPhone that is $50 cheaper than last years, which itself was $100 (?) cheaper than two years before that?

Yes, if you want to spend a lot of money, they still have great options to take all your money. But for many people, prices are coming down substantially on iPhones, which is remarkable.

Gotcha, Dave! I didn't check the price on the cheaper models. I mistakenly thought the discount would resonate through the entire product line. I simply looked at the model I would most be interested in buying.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Assuming these prices, if anything, it's kinda something that prices are stable on the Pro line which will have larger screens and lidar added to the three camera system!

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
A possible downside is the rumor says the Pro line is getting bigger. The 5.8" is becoming 6.1" and the 6.5" is becoming 6.7". I kinda get it, because just as a window shopper, the 5.8" model felt a bit small compared to my iPhone 8+. Yes, it was taller, but the screen was narrower, and that felt like a loss for my frequent Maps usage.

And having an iPhone 11 Pro that was smaller but more expensive than the iPhone 11 might have caused some marketing / customer confusion.

So having the 12 Pro not be "less" than the 12 in any way presumably makes a cleaner selling story.

But, for my wife, the 8+ is verging on too big. And in window shopping last year, the iPhone 11 at 6.1" was less appealing than the 5.8" iPhone Pro, in hand. So jumping up to 6.1" may not be awesome for her. (But after some quick comparisons with the iPhone comparo page, below, it should be fine. The iPhone 11 is a skosh smaller than the 8+.)

Now for me, I think the 6.1" iPhone 12 Pro might be perfect and give me less reason to jump to 12 Pro Max, which is going to be too big and too much money for what I really want/need.

But I think I'm not setting aside any self-deception ;) that I'll buy the 12 (not Pro). We want the fancy cameras. I want the minimal bezel. I'll find a way to cope with paying $2000 for two new iPhones, after three years of my 8+. :)

Last edited:

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Just remembered, here's Apple's comparo to see how they physically stack up.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Assuming this, I'm probably buying a pair of 6.1" iPhones Pro this Fall. Maybe I'd buy the 6.1" iPhone for myself and the Pro for my wife.

Very helpful would be 128GB base storage. My current iPhone is using 56GB of 64GB. Jumping +64GB to get to 128GB base? That's plenty plenty for me for the next two or three years. That will save me another $300 (two phones) vs buying up to the 256GB mid-storage iPhone 11 models today.

As always, I really want to demo the iPhones before buying. But if supplies are expected to be low and running late, I'll consider pre-ordering sight unseen a pair of 6.1" iPhones Pro. My iPhone 8+ will be three years old and I'll be very ready to upgrade.

Reactions: Sam Posten

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Big updates to the iPad Air and iPad mini?

“Kuo: Apple Glasses to Launch in 2022 at Earliest, New 10.8-Inch iPad and 9-Inch iPad Mini Coming in 2020/2021 - MacRumors”
Kuo: Apple Glasses to Launch in 2022 at Earliest, New 10.8-Inch iPad and 9-Inch iPad Mini Coming in 2020/2021 - MacRumors

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
This is the iPad Pro I want. But my biggest justification for an expensive pro model is my business travel, which is stopped, and probably won’t resume in 2021. And it seems sure that the rumored iPad pros will be a significant price premium over the current LIDAR models.

So...? No idea what I’m doing or when to replace my current iPad (2018).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jankitmbasu