What's new

2021 iPhone and iPad anticipations! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So I’ve had my new SE for a bit more than a week now. Some initial impressions:

-Apple really cheaped out on the packaging/included bits. My wife and my mother both bought this same model SE last year. When they got theirs, wired lightning headphones and a power adapter were included. Mine had neither and the box did say in the fine print it didn’t, so it was certainly intentional. The power adapter I could do without since I’ll just charge it with the previous phone’s one, but the headphones thing was obnoxious. If they’re going to kill the headphone jack the least they could do is include the new earbuds and/or an adapter. I got the adapter a few days later but that really annoyed me.

-Battery life and speed seem improved over the first gen SE, which makes sense for a design that’s four years newer.

-I’m still trying to get used to the larger keyboard. It’s no longer comfortable to hold the one with just one hand while typing with just one thumb, where I used to be able to do that quickly and efficiently on the smaller first gen SE. I’m surprised that more people don’t value the ability to do this.

-Everything else is fine. It’s still great that you can buy a new Apple phone, turn it on and basically have it set up the same as your old one with minimal effort. I just wish the actual device felt better in my hand/was more comfortable to use. Everyone says I’ll get used to it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes headphones and 5W power block removed. That was as of about a year ago. Partly to save Apple $. Partly because everyone already has a zillion of these things already so why keep adding to the electronics junk drawer?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They claimed it as an environmental win

I’m sure having Apple make a single box to put the headphone adapter I needed to buy into, Amazon mailing it solo in a bubble wrapper, a plane taking it halfway around the country and then a series of trucks driving it the rest of the way did wonders for the environment…

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you actually need a new charger, you’d be much better off with one the new-ish GaN 20W chargers that are the same size of the woefully anemic old 5W Apple chargers.

I went w/ this bigger, more powerful one instead when I bought the iPhone 11:

Figured I might as well get one that can provide enough juice to recharge our Surface Pro tablet, smaller laptops, etc while I'm at it... :P

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you actually need a new charger, you’d be much better off with one the new-ish GaN 20W chargers that are the same size of the woefully anemic old 5W Apple chargers.

Good to know - for now it’s being charged with the plug that came with my 2019 iPad and that’s getting the job done.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’m sure having Apple make a single box to put the headphone adapter I needed to buy into, Amazon mailing it solo in a bubble wrapper, a plane taking it halfway around the country and then a series of trucks driving it the rest of the way did wonders for the environment…

It's not about you, it's about scale. If 5% of buyers go out and have to buy new cords and chargers they made the right decision for 95% of buyers.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's not about you, it's about scale. If 5% of buyers go out and have to buy new cords and chargers they made the right decision for 95% of buyers.
I’m still using the 5w power brick and lightning cable from my iPhone 5s and my wife and I have both had multiple iPhones since they switched in 2012 so I still have 5-6 lightning cables, lightning headphones, adapters, and power bricks. I didn’t miss not getting extras with my iPhone 12 this time around.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, I’m starting to get ready for iPhone 2021 upgrades! What do I gotta do to get in shape for the big event? Do I need to start training to stay up to 3am to get my order in the first night? Can I order from Verizon launch day, or do I have to buy direct from Apple? I haven’t bought an iPhone in four years and I’ve never tried to buy first day. :)

I’ve got about $200 in Verizon bucks I gotta use on at least one phone. But if I had to, I could split the purchase and get the other from Apple if that’s faster / easier / better trade-in.

And trade-ins. Hoping VZW has some decent trade-in. But last year, Apple had the best old-phone values. Verizon’s deals all required going to super expensive “unlimited” plans.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This launch can't get here soon enough! :P

Probably gonna need to upgrade/replace 3 phones after holding off last time... though 1 or 2 might just be a 12 (or even just 11 for my mother) if the 13 doesn't actually come w/ TouchID...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ronbo,

Is this model rumored to be a major upgrade over 12? I haven't upgrade for years so I'm still using my 6s Plus.

Uhm, not really.

Sam and others can help me out on what’s new but so far…

120Hz ProMotion Display
Camera improvements
Smaller notch for Face ID
A15 chip
Same four iPhone sizes as the 12

The upgrades are incremental. Nothing major. Since I am part of an upgrade program I guess I am upgrading no matter what.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ronbo,

Is this model rumored to be a major upgrade over 12? I haven't upgrade for years so I'm still using my 6s Plus.

I'd probably upgrade to an iPhone 11 for maybe 1/2 the price of the 13 (or possibly even less), if I were you. I have the basic 11, and it's perfectly fine although I'd like a better camera (only because I'm all that into photography/videography and finding recent phone cameras good enough most times) -- I'm actually upgrading mostly to pass my 11 to my 14-yo who needs a new phone, but would otherwise probably just get a battery replacement for $60 and keep going w/ it for another couple years.

Even now, you should be able to get a basic 11 for just ~1/2 of the 12 I think. The only thing is you'll give up the home button (and TouchID... and certain UI nuances your used to) and the analog headphone out on your 6s Plus -- those are the only reasons I haven't upgraded my mother to a new phone yet.

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll be upgrading to the 13 Pro Max from my Xs Max, mainly for the camera.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have been dubious about the upgrades prior to launch each of the last three years and found that I enjoy them more than I thought I would. The notch doesn’t bother me at all, not sure a smaller one will excite me but I’m in for whatever

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been dubious about the upgrades prior to launch each of the last three years and found that I enjoy them more than I thought I would. The notch doesn’t bother me at all, not sure a smaller one will excite me but I’m in for whatever

The notch has never bothered me. Don’t even even realize it’s there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks