What's new

Netflix To Crackdown On Password Sharing (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I pretty much only buy UHD discs at this point but will grab a standard Blu Ray if it contains an Atmos track. Redbox does sell their inventory and there are excellent values available.

Just like Bart in Blazing Saddles, if this actually happens "they probably won't even give me credit for it."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

While Netflix has been talking about its password plans since last year, the notifications rolling out this week in the United States were effective immediately and caught some people off guard. Many were confused about how the company was going to enforce the plan and surprised to find that it applied to them. Here is what we know so far:

• Netflix says an account can only be used by members of one physical household, sharing one internet connection. Additional members logging from elsewhere can be added for $7.99 a month.

• The restrictions appear to only apply to televisions and not mobile devices for now. Once you are successfully logged in on a smartphone or tablet, you should be able stream on it from anywhere.

• You can still travel without issues for up to a month. People will need connect at the primary location once every 31 days to avoid being logged out of the account.

• If you are moving or plan on being away for more than 31 days, you can change your household location.

• It doesn’t matter what tier you pay for or your reasons for being away from the primary address. The company does not have any exceptions for more unusual cases like deployed members of the military.

• Netflix is mostly using IP addresses to determine where people are logging in from, but it also uses device IDs and account activity.

• It infers which location is your home base, but you can manually set your household location from Netflix on a TV by going to Get Help → Manage Netflix Household.

• You can only add extra members to the more expensive standard and premium plans and the number of additional members is limited. (One extra on standard, two members on premium.)

• There are no penalties for sharing, no Netflix police going door to door. People streaming from secondary locations will just be logged out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My parents got booted from my Netflix account last month by the anti-sharing rollout. I’d signed them in last Christmas when we were trying to find bad Christmas movies to watch in the background.

<shrug>

It’s annoying. But I don’t have any energy for righteous indignation. My parents can afford Netflix if they want it. And Netflix can take the risk of losing viewers over this if they want to.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
My parents got booted from my Netflix account last month by the anti-sharing rollout.

<shrug>

It’s annoying. But I don’t have any energy for righteous indignation. My parents can afford Netflix if they want it. And Netflix can take the risk of losing viewers over this if they want to.

That seems like a balanced approach.

It’s interesting to read forum comments over the years about “no discussion” of bootleg films on disc or digital files. But then to read other comments on the forum angry that a streaming service limits service to a paid subscriber.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So... they apparently finally started cracking down on my family's situation... and I just found out they apparently require you to use a smartTV(?) app to change the primary location. No other app (nor web browser UI), including on AppleTV and Roku, apparently has the ability to make the change.

That's pretty onerous and obnoxious of them... and just might be the last straw for me -- I've been wanting to cancel and only reactivate a month or two each year anyway...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks