What's new

eero: Reviewed - The Most Revolutionary Home Wi-Fi Distribution Network (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Ron,
You might also check with a local structured electronics installer -- possibly posing as a custom theater installer -- to have a proposal for a hardware lan installation. You might (should) get better insights than the Verizon installer.
I do this stuff for a living, so if you send me your floorplan as an image or PDF, I have all the software/tools to run a predictive analysis of how many AP's you'll need to reach those data rates. It will also show where to put them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I will send you the floorplan within 24 hours.

Someone asked me about my connections.

First, the router is Verizon's top-of-the-line Fios router. They just sent it to me a few weeks ago. They tout it as their most advanced router to date. No, it doesn't have the power or antennas of the best routers out there -- but then again, I am not using it for wireless. All I am doing is plugging the gateway eero into it.

From the gateway eero, plugged into my main computer, I am getting 330 MBPS.

I have the newest Macbook Pro. I can't imagine that it doesn't have the capability to run the fastest Internet available.

Other items in my home using Wifi are three webcams. However, with all three unplugged during a test, the WiFi speed only improved slightly.

The support at eero can't figure out the bootlenecking issues. I have 5 of these devices scattered across my home with perfect placement.

Again, I am going to put my eggs into the Linksys Velop basket. I will try that next week before even thinking about attempting to hardwire the house.

Thanks, guys, for all the help

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The 330MBPS is likely a limit of the hardware. The eero is a 2x2 AP, which theoretically peaks at 867mbps if you set your channel width to 80MHz. Some of that airtime is being used by the mesh, so i'd say you'd more likely to have a 1x1 max of 433mbps unless you can manually adjust channel width on the eero control panel.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta do something. I am up to 1GB Internet coming into the home and I can't enjoy it.

My home layout doesn't make it easy to run ethernet from one end of the house to the other.

I am going to give the Linksys Velop a try next Wednesday. Some claim that you can get close to 1GB speeds on that network, but other people I have talked to on network discussion forums agree with Dave that the radio signal is not refined enough.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here is a response from the Linksys community. Please note, I don't agree nor disagree with this response. I am in uncharted territory and until I actually get to test the Velop out next week, I am not saying anyone is correct or incorrect.

As to the IT friends I would have to disagree with them. The way Velop was created is with a Triband Configuration per node. What this means is that on the 5Ghz networks one of the bands is dedicated purely to internode communication. Meaning the full 5 Ghz channel and throughput is dedicated to the communication between each device.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have 30 MBps. And we pay through the nose. Competition? We have WOW! And Spectrum in my area for cable. Cox is in other surrounding areas, but not mine. There are days I can stream 4k, others I can't. I'd love to have 300 MBps just to have the headroom.
Yeah, competition? We have AT&T Uverse and their top speed in our area is 18mbps. There's also Fidelity that offers higher speed for more bucks but the 18mbps seems to be good enough for streaming. I hiccup in the streaming is quite rare and my internet growing is ok. Sure I'd love to have faster but these speeds are fantasy speed in my neighborhood.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Here is a response from the Linksys community. Please note, I don't agree nor disagree with this response. I am in uncharted territory and until I actually get to test the Velop out next week, I am not saying anyone is correct or incorrect.
While he's correct that one radio is dedicated to mesh communication, what that means is that your device only ever gets 2 streams - which peaks out at 867mbps real world, just like the eero, though I'd be shocked if you got that sort of real world performance.

Though Linksys is correct advertising 2.2gbps theoretical performance, it's sort of like the cheap Onkyo receiver that promises 150WPC - we all know that's total BS.

See this review of the velop, the numbers aren't that impressive: http://www.pcmag.com/review/350691/linksys-velop

It's also worth noting that the new 802.11ac spec (and it's wave 2 improvements) require you to be within 10 feet of an AP to reach those maximum rated speeds. Here's a really thorough test of the Velop showing the same results:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/linksys-velop,review-4290.html

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I can get 500-800 MBPS WiFi speed, consistent, throughout my home with Velop, then I will be happy.

With Eero, I can't get above 90 MBPS with a 1GB network.

I will know for certain by Wednesday and I will report back. My Velop will be delivered tomorrow.

Let's just say that this is the last step before considering a wired network. To do a wired network will cost me twice the amount of what I am paying for Velop. So, certainly, you understand why I am kind of doing this step-by-step to rule out any cheaper methods that might deliver fast WiFi.

Appreciate the help. Will keep you posted.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I am now on the Velop network. I ditched my Eero devices.

I don't want to say too much at the moment because I want to do a separate review on this forum. There is also more tweaking that needs to be done.

I can tentatively say that the Velop is more powerful than the Eero. I am getting speeds 3x faster than the Eero was able to deliver.

However, the speeds are nowhere close to what I was hoping for.

I am in constant contact with Linksys support. They are excellent. They want me to wait a few hours for the network to settle itself in. I am also finding that some devices are on the 2.4GHZ network instead of the 5GHZ. Linksys wants to do some additional tweaking to fix that. They are confident they can get me into even faster speed category.

So far, however, I am much happier with the Velop system.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They want me to wait a few hours for the network to settle itself in.

Is that something like "new speaker break in?" ;)

Watching your journey with interest, Ron!

I just upgraded my DL speeds from 1.8mbps to 50+...which is not insignificant. But I've gotta imagine at the speeds you're talking about you click on ANY webpage (no matter how much advertising or new content there is) and it fully resolves itself before your index finger has even completely lifted off the mouse! :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Remarkably, I don't see a huge increase in page loads. It is just about instantaneous, though. Where I really see the difference is when I click on a file to download and the progress bar R A C E S across the screen in seconds instead of minutes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
feee2e10813032d8f68134b3e51e8ab7_green-with-envy-meme-memesuper-green-with-envy-meme_798-604.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Still working with Linksys on speed issues.

I am willing to try something else....

I am not going to spend the exorbitant amount of money that Dave Upton suggested with his network setup.

But I am determined to do this, and I think I can do it on the cheap.

I can buy this ethernet cable and plug it directly into the outdoor box

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Ethe...sr=8-5&keywords=500+feet+ethernet+cable+cat+6

I can then bury the cable underground by building a small trench around the outside of the house to the opposite end.

I can then bring the ethernet into the home via a drill.

I then simply connect the ethernet into this switcher

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-GS10...58386&sr=1-6&keywords=gigabit+ethernet+switch

The question is, how much ethernet can I run without signal loss?

Also, is it easy for an idiot like me to sire an ethernet connector onto the wire?

I might also consider having Verizon just come and lay the wire and drill it into the house. I'll do the trench work. They will probably only charge me $100 to do it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A couple of neighbors have upgraded to FIOS gigabit, with SpeedTest results of 600 to 850 Mbps. I'm interested knowing it's available to my home. But having re-upped a two year contract in January for 50/50, I'm not yet motivated to try and switch service plans.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Using the Linksys Velop and it's much, much more powerful.

I think the Gen 2 of the eero was introduced to compete with more powerful systems like the Velop.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The question is, how much ethernet can I run without signal loss?

I'm wanting to say you can get about a 100m run of cat6 cable before you start experiencing signal loss. I'm going from memory and I haven't had to know that spec in 10 years so it might not be accurate. I'm sure Dave can correct me if I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks