eero: Reviewed - The Most Revolutionary Home Wi-Fi Distribution Network

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

I was looking into Eero, and I just read on another site that it needs to have access to the internet to work, so if your internet is down, your LAN is also down. Is that correct? I hope not. I want my internal systems to be able to connect/stream to each other without having to rely on whether or not I have an internet connection.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Rodney,

Yes, you need a router with Internet connection before you even consider eero.

Your eero essentially plugs into a vacant port on your router and distributes the signal throughout the home.

Your concern is a little confusing for me. No matter how eero gets hooked up, you will always be relying on whether a working signal is being fed into your home. Your "internal systems" will not communicate with each other if you don't have it. eero has nothing to do with that. Your incoming provider has everything to do with that.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

3. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    I think what Rodney is asking is if my internet is down can I still stream videos from my home server to my tv assuming that all are on your local network

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Can you post a link to the article you read?

I haven't used the aero, so I can't say fir sure, but Eero is basically a more advanced home router. And routers don't need internet connection to function for the LAN.

5. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

6. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

Yes, that was what I was trying to say. I was asking if the internet was down, can you still go from computer to computer, and media server to DVR/TV? I get worried anytime a technology is tied to "calling home to momma".

DiVX anyone? :thumbsdown:

George_W_K likes this.
  7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Here's a data point:

“eero: iOS and Android app only, no web interface. That said, the UI is clean and, with version 2.0, even more full-featured. All access is done through eero’s servers, which means that configuration and status are equally accessible locally and remotely.”

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/wi-fi-mesh-compared-eero-orbi-amplifi/3/

8. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

Looks like someone posted a reply from Eero regarding internet connectivity:

"The eero network will stay available and run the LAN after there is an internet outage. The only time they will not stay online is if someone power cycles the eeros when the internet goes out. At that point, the eero primary will need to reach out to our servers to grab the network configuration again. The eero needs to grab the configuration from our cloud because that is the middle man between the app and the eeros. As long as the eeros do not lose power, they will keep the configuration."
    Macintouch link

DaveF likes this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    George_W_K likes this.