What's new

eero: Reviewed - The Most Revolutionary Home Wi-Fi Distribution Network (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was looking into Eero, and I just read on another site that it needs to have access to the internet to work, so if your internet is down, your LAN is also down. Is that correct? I hope not. I want my internal systems to be able to connect/stream to each other without having to rely on whether or not I have an internet connection.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rodney,

Yes, you need a router with Internet connection before you even consider eero.

Your eero essentially plugs into a vacant port on your router and distributes the signal throughout the home.

Your concern is a little confusing for me. No matter how eero gets hooked up, you will always be relying on whether a working signal is being fed into your home. Your "internal systems" will not communicate with each other if you don't have it. eero has nothing to do with that. Your incoming provider has everything to do with that.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I think what Rodney is asking is if my internet is down can I still stream videos from my home server to my tv assuming that all are on your local network

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was looking into Eero, and I just read on another site that it needs to have access to the internet to work, so if your internet is down, your LAN is also down. Is that correct? I hope not. I want my internal systems to be able to connect/stream to each other without having to rely on whether or not I have an internet connection.
Can you post a link to the article you read?

I haven't used the aero, so I can't say fir sure, but Eero is basically a more advanced home router. And routers don't need internet connection to function for the LAN.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think what Rodney is asking is if my internet is down can I still stream videos from my home server to my tv assuming that all are on your local network

Yes, that was what I was trying to say. I was asking if the internet was down, can you still go from computer to computer, and media server to DVR/TV? I get worried anytime a technology is tied to "calling home to momma".

DiVX anyone? :thumbsdown:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's a data point:

“eero: iOS and Android app only, no web interface. That said, the UI is clean and, with version 2.0, even more full-featured. All access is done through eero’s servers, which means that configuration and status are equally accessible locally and remotely.”

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/wi-fi-mesh-compared-eero-orbi-amplifi/3/

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like someone posted a reply from Eero regarding internet connectivity:

"The eero network will stay available and run the LAN after there is an internet outage. The only time they will not stay online is if someone power cycles the eeros when the internet goes out. At that point, the eero primary will need to reach out to our servers to grab the network configuration again. The eero needs to grab the configuration from our cloud because that is the middle man between the app and the eeros. As long as the eeros do not lose power, they will keep the configuration."
Macintouch link

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
U P D A T E

Not great news.

When I originally reviewed eero I was on a Verizon Internet plan of 75 MBPS.

At that speed, the entire eero network worked flawlessly.

It wasn't until, two weeks ago, when I upgraded to Verizon's 330 MPBS plan that I noticed a major flaw in this mesh system.

The satellite units were only capable of delivering 75-100 MBPS.

I have been working with eero support (who have been great) to address this problem, but unfortunately, something is bottlenecking the speed -- even with the home webcams turned off.

I am going to purchase the Linksys Velop from Costco next week. Will try it out and see if I can get end-to-end speeds that I am subscribing to. I am going to be upgrading my Internet to 980MBPS shortly and don't want to do it if these mesh systems can't at least deliver 70% of the the signal end-to-end.

With Costco's liberal return policy I should have no problem returning the Velop at any time should it not work out.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
U P D A T E

Not great news.

When I originally reviewed eero I was on a Verizon Internet plan of 75 MBPS.

At that speed, the entire eero network worked flawlessly.

It wasn't until, two weeks ago, when I upgraded to Verizon's 330 MPBS plan that I noticed a major flaw in this mesh system.

The satellite units were only capable of delivering 75-100 MBPS.

I have been working with eero support (who have been great) to address this problem, but unfortunately, something is bottlenecking the speed -- even with the home webcams turned off.

I am going to purchase the Linksys Velop from Costco next week. Will try it out and see if I can get end-to-end speeds that I am subscribing to. I am going to be upgrading my Internet to 980MBPS shortly and don't want to do it if these mesh systems can't at least deliver 70% of the the signal end-to-end.

With Costco's liberal return policy I should have no problem returning the Velop at any time should it not work out.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no mesh system on the planet capable of delivering a consistent 500+Mbps rate. The radio technology isn't there. Your only option is to use hardwired 802.11AC AP's set at max channel-width to optimize performance. Even at work where I use the highest end wireless gear you can buy, it's almost impossible to get above 500Mbps due to the nature of wireless (air time and interference). I would suggest you moderate your expectations, and plan on plugging your machine directly into the wall if you want to enjoy your full bandwidth at 980 Mbps.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Problem is, Dave, I can't get ethernet to the farthest reaches of my home.

Had a Verizon tech out and he couldn't figure out how to wire it. It is tough since there's a bi-level addition.

So, I have to find *something* to deliver the fastest connection possible.

It is strange, some of these consumer reviews on the mesh networks are reporting very high speeds wirelessly in the range I am looking at.

I am still going to experiment with these things to see if I can get better wireless speeds than the eero.

Better mesh technology has been introduced since the eero. These days, the eero is not nearly the best rated mesh technology available.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Curious Ron as to what it is you are doing in your daily life that you need mega internet speeds? For example I can stream on 3 TV's + phones using just 20mb download speeds all day long.

So what's your reason for this: "So, I have to find *something* to deliver the fastest connection possible."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Curious Ron as to what it is you are doing in your daily life that you need mega internet speeds? For example I can stream on 3 TV's + phones using just 20mb download speeds all day long.

So what's your reason for this: "So, I have to find *something* to deliver the fastest connection possible."

That's a good question.

Right now, the best answer I can give is that Internet speed is becoming much cheaper. With so many companies out there competing, Verizon (for instance) just put out an outrageous offer of 918MBPS for $70 bundled with their packages.

Obviously, they are trying to outdo the competitors in our area that include Comcast and Optimum.

The Internet is my life. I spend a lot of time on it between HTF and other business interests.

I also do a lot of streaming. I do a lot of downloading of large files.

As long as it's affordable -- and quite frankly because I am signing up for new 2 year deals -- does not cost me more than I am paying now, I will go as fast as I can go at the price I can afford.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Gotcha.

Yeah I guess if I could get 50x the speed I have now for the same price I'd do it. But if it cost me 50x (heck even 5x) what I pay now, I sure wouldn't be signing up. :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Problem is, Dave, I can't get ethernet to the farthest reaches of my home.

Had a Verizon tech out and he couldn't figure out how to wire it. It is tough since there's a bi-level addition.

So, I have to find *something* to deliver the fastest connection possible.

It is strange, some of these consumer reviews on the mesh networks are reporting very high speeds wirelessly in the range I am looking at.

I am still going to experiment with these things to see if I can get better wireless speeds than the eero.

Better mesh technology has been introduced since the eero. These days, the eero is not nearly the best rated mesh technology available.

I would suggest you don't necessarily have to get to every area of the house, just 2-3 locations.

If you have access to the attic or basement, you should be able to run ethernet to locations that give sufficient coverage. Then you can overlap your AP's so that each covers a portion of the home.

You will need an 802.11AC wave 2 access point to get up to the 1gbps speeds you are looking for. That would mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProS...ords=802.11ac+wave+2+access+point+4x4+netgear

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would suggest you don't necessarily have to get to every area of the house, just 2-3 locations.

If you have access to the attic or basement, you should be able to run ethernet to locations that give sufficient coverage. Then you can overlap your AP's so that each covers a portion of the home.

You will need an 802.11AC wave 2 access point to get up to the 1gbps speeds you are looking for. That would mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProS...ords=802.11ac+wave+2+access+point+4x4+netgear

Wow. That is expensive. However, worth the price if I can get the Internet coverage I want.

Let me play with the Linsksys Velop and get back to everyone. I will buy it next week.

There are customers on Amazon claiming it can handle 980 MBPS house wide. I realize that can be a stretch, but I want to find out for myself before spending the kind of money you are suggesting. Plus, since I am buying from Costco or Amazon, a return would be easy.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
It looks like on the surface the Linksys Velop should deliver (Tri-Band AC2200 (867 + 867 + 400 Mbps)‡ with MU-MIMO and 256 QAM). However, remember there are all kinds of reasons you may not get max speed. How many devices you have connected they all share the bandwidth. What is the speed of the wireless connector in your laptop/device. Now it looks like it has a speed test utility built into the router much like the Linksys version I have. So you can test its speed to the internet. However, your device may not get it. If your laptop only has a "N" wireless card your going to be topped out at 150Mbps in most cases.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I have 30 MBps. And we pay through the nose. Competition? We have WOW! And Spectrum in my area for cable. Cox is in other surrounding areas, but not mine. There are days I can stream 4k, others I can't. I'd love to have 300 MBps just to have the headroom.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron,
You might also check with a local structured electronics installer -- possibly posing as a custom theater installer -- to have a proposal for a hardware lan installation. You might (should) get better insights than the Verizon installer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks