What's new

Apple Polishing Cloth (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
There are versions of the Pro Display XDR and the iMac with nano-texture glass. This supposedly provides image quality benefits over standard matte displays. I think it also means that, by definition, such displays have lots of tiny glass ridges; ridges that might be easy to break off. You're supposed to clean those displays only with special Apple-supplied cloths.

As far as other Macs are concerned, maybe you don't need an Apple-brand cleaning cloth. But if I had laid out the money for an iMac or Pro Display XDR with nano-texture glass, I don't think I'd want to try saving a few bucks on the cloth, at the expense of ruining a very costly screen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I read about the Apple-brand microfiber cloth and rolled my eyes at the typical Apple price.

I use iKlear on my screens with a cheap micro cloth.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
if I had laid out the money for an iMac or Pro Display XDR with nano-texture glass, I don't think I'd want to try saving a few bucks on the cloth, at the expense of ruining a very costly screen.
That was likely the exact reasoning they used when deciding whether or not they could actually sell this. If a screen is that delicate then it's simply not fit for consumer level use. Also, since the screen *is* so costly, how about throwing in the cloth which probably has a unit cost of about 30 cents anyway.

Sorry. I don't mean to argumentative here, just my take on it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
There are versions of the Pro Display XDR and the iMac with nano-texture glass. This supposedly provides image quality benefits over standard matte displays. I think it also means that, by definition, such displays have lots of tiny glass ridges; ridges that might be easy to break off. You're supposed to clean those displays only with special Apple-supplied cloths.

As far as other Macs are concerned, maybe you don't need an Apple-brand cleaning cloth. But if I had laid out the money for an iMac or Pro Display XDR with nano-texture glass, I don't think I'd want to try saving a few bucks on the cloth, at the expense of ruining a very costly screen.
I understand the thinking - but if a screen is going to be ruined by a microfiber cloth it was never designed properly.

Any good non-abrasive microfiber with a tight weave fill be functionally identical.

FWIW, I buy large packages of microfiber cloths from PhotoDon every 2 years or so that I use to clean my glasses, camera lenses etc. So far, I've had no issues.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
That was likely the exact reasoning they used when deciding whether or not they could actually sell this. If a screen is that delicate then it's simply not fit for consumer level use. Also, since the screen *is* so costly, how about throwing in the cloth which probably has a unit cost of about 30 cents anyway.

Sorry. I don't mean to argumentative here, just my take on it.

The Pro Display XDR isn't aimed at ordinary consumers. The 27" iMac is – but are you saying that you would rather force consumers to take the standard screen, than to give them a choice of screens?

Both come with a polishing cloth in the box. This would be a replacement for a lost or misplaced cloth.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
are you saying that you would rather force consumers to take the standard screen, than to give them a choice of screens?
Absolutely not. I like choices. :biggrin:

Both come with a polishing cloth in the box. This would be a replacement for a lost or misplaced cloth.

Ah... I missed that at the onset. My bad.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ars wins.

1634772599160.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
When I started this thread, I had not realized this cloth is included with the new Pro Display XDR and iMac. If this is a replacement cloth, then that makes sense if the customer lost it. I have not gotten my Pro Display yet. :)

i thought it was for general cleaning for “I” devices.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
When I started this thread, I had not realized this cloth is included with the new Pro Display XDR and iMac. If this is a replacement cloth, then that makes sense if the customer lost it. I have not gotten my Pro Display yet. :)

i thought it was for general cleaning for “I” devices.

Apple's description of it says "Made with soft, nonabrasive material, the Polishing Cloth cleans any Apple display, including nano-texture glass, safely and effectively."

You can use it for cleaning iDevice displays, and Apple's not exactly discouraging you from doing so – but if this cloth really requires such special construction (for nano-texture cleaning use) as to make a $19 price reasonable, they probably ought to be steering you to third-party cloths for regular displays.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
By the way, be careful with pre-moistened, disposable eyeglass cleaners. I've seen some boxes of those that state that they are safe for eyeglasses, and then go on to say that they are not safe for LCD screens.

I don't know why this is the case.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, be careful with pre-moistened, disposable eyeglass cleaners. I've seen some boxes of those that state that they are safe for eyeglasses, and then go on to say that they are not safe for LCD screens.

I don't know why this is the case.

I bought this huge bottle of screen cleaner years ago from Amazon. It ended up eating the protective coating layer of my MBP. Went back to the site and saw a wealth of reviews from laptop owners complaining of the same issue. The product was finally recalled/removed.

Had something to do with alcohol and/or PH level.

These days I only use iKlear or a natural screen cleaner like this:

Amazon product

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I bought this huge bottle of screen cleaner years ago from Amazon. It ended up eating the protective coating layer of my MBP. Went back to the site and saw a wealth of reviews from laptop owners complaining of the same issue. The product was finally recalled/removed.

Had something to do with alcohol and/or PH level.

These days I only use iKlear or a natural screen cleaner like this:

Amazon product

At a previous job we had tons of extremely expensive displays for our engineering staff (think $2500+), so we had to try a multitude of screen cleaners to find one that wouldn't damage these displays and consistently did a good job.

That's when I first discovered and started using Whoosh. I tried probably 15 products until I landed on this one that cleaned everything from TVs and tablets/phones to Surface Hubs without any streaking or coating damage.

We tried a few others that were awful, and absolutely ruined coatings.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
At a previous job we had tons of extremely expensive displays for our engineering staff (think $2500+), so we had to try a multitude of screen cleaners to find one that wouldn't damage these displays and consistently did a good job.

That's when I first discovered and started using Whoosh. I tried probably 15 products until I landed on this one that cleaned everything from TVs and tablets/phones to Surface Hubs without any streaking or coating damage.

We tried a few others that were awful, and absolutely ruined coatings.

Whoosh is rated very, very well. The only complaint I consistently read is that it is a little harder than most to buff out. However, it rates at the top of most screen cleaner recommendations.

I will be happy to give it a try. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Green
Recent bookmarks