What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive In 2017. Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Neil, you and Frank, hold Many Happy Returns in such high esteem. What was it about that show that was so special?
Just asking.

James

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
James, not to answer for Neil Brock or Frank, but I can give you my 2 cents about Many Happy Returns...it was a single season 1964 to '65 sitcom...John McGiver played the complaints and returns manager for a big city department store "Krockmeyer's"...his corner of hell and a comedic take on the "customer is always right" theme...I don't remember the show very well, I was 8 going on 9 when it first aired... but I do have a single episode from 16 mm film in my collection to judge it by, which was funny...McGiver was a very good character actor that turned in many memorable appearances in a lot of TV shows like Twilight Zone ("Sounds and Silences") and Mr. Terrific for instance...among his films, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Manchurian Candidate...here he is in a publicity photo for Many Happy Returns with co-star Elena Verdugo...

many76677667.JPG

TV_Dial_Rocky_Mountain_News_John_McGiver_Many_Happy_Puppets_Dec_13_1964.JPG

s-l500.jpg

Elinor Donahue (Andy Griffith Show) and Mark Goddard (Lost in Space) costarred as McGiver's daughter and son in law...

ae25d2196b036fec9d4b114809781ec1.jpg

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
James, not to answer for Neil Brock or Frank, but I can give you my 2 cents about Many Happy Returns...it was a single season 1964 to '65 sitcom...John McGiver played the complaints and returns manager for a big city department store "Krockmeyer's"...his corner of hell and a comedic take on the "customer is always right" theme...I don't remember the show very well, I was 8 going on 9 when it first aired... but I do have a single episode from 16 mm film in my collection to judge it by, which was funny...McGiver was a very good character actor that turned in many memorable appearances in a lot of TV shows like Twilight Zone ("Sounds and Silences") and Mr. Terrific for instance...among his films, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Manchurian Candidate...here he is in a publicity photo for Many Happy Returns with co-star Elena Verdugo...

many76677667.JPG

TV_Dial_Rocky_Mountain_News_John_McGiver_Many_Happy_Puppets_Dec_13_1964.JPG

s-l500.jpg

Elinor Donahue (Andy Griffith Show) and Mark Goddard (Lost in Space) costarred as McGiver's daughter and son in law...

ae25d2196b036fec9d4b114809781ec1.jpg
Lol!!! Justin Addison, the weather man on The Beverly Hillbillies, who argued with Granny over Cecil the Weather Beetle!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil, you and Frank, hold Many Happy Returns in such high esteem. What was it about that show that was so special?
Just asking.

James

My two reasons:

1 - The episodes have always been scarce as the show has never re-aired anywhere in the taping era and 16mm prints are hard to find. I believe I have around 3 in my collection after almost 40 years. Not only that, but unlike many other rare shows, which are plentiful in archives like UCLA and Library of Congress, no episodes reside at either nor at Paley.

2 - I watched the show regularly when it was on and I was 7 years old. Doesn't mean that it was a good show, as I learned when I got to see other short-run sitcoms that I liked at that age, but I would still like to see more episodes.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
My guesses for June

Symbiotic Titan season 1
Hanging with Mr Cooper season 2 (or 3)
Temple Houston
What I like about you season 3
New Adventures of Tarzan (seasons 2and 3)
James

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I'd buy both Blue Knight editions; now if someone added Lloyd Bridges' Joe Forrester to the list, that's a blue triple!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
News. News. We need news. So far, we only know of two television releases from WB Archives this month. Can we get any other hints for summer releases?

James

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'd be in for all of those. Father Of The Bride would be nice too. Seems like Colt 45 has dropped off WBA's radar.
Last time I asked about 3-4 months ago they said it still needed to finish music clearance and after that it needed to be remastered. So it is still on their radar although maybe not for this year.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Many Happy Returns... [...] I don't remember the show very well, I was 8 going on 9 when it first aired... [...] McGiver was a very good character actor that turned in many memorable appearances in a lot of TV shows [...]

I was around that age, too, but remember the show as something I liked watching, I'm guessing because I liked John McGiver. Most people might remember him from the episode of Gilligan's Island where he played butterfly collector Lord Beasley. So, like Neil Brock, I'd like to see some episodes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
McGiver's pompous windbag persona that he did so well in so many TV and film parts is precisely the reason why his casting as the paragon of virtue and nobility in "The Manchurian Candidate" is the most unintentionally funny part of the movie.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
McGiver's pompous windbag persona that he did so well in so many TV and film parts is precisely the reason why his casting as the paragon of virtue and nobility in "The Manchurian Candidate" is the most unintentionally funny part of the movie.
I watched the show when I was in High School. I recall that it was McGiver's showcase, but he made an excellent lovable curmudgeon and the supporting cast was good as well . I remember it being standard 60's sitcom fare which happened to be set in a Dept . Store , but if it gets a WBA release I'll be pre-ordering .

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It's one claim to fame is that it was the first series to ever air after a Lucy show that didn't crack the Top 30 in the ratings.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys. Since June/July is comic con month in several cities, I'm going to guess that there might be some animated series or sci-fi stuff coming out during this time.

James

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
It's one claim to fame is that it was the first series to ever air after a Lucy show that didn't crack the Top 30 in the ratings.
When I was helping with "The Lucy Show" Season 1 DVD set, we were going through original broadcast elements and there was a short promo for "Many Happy Returns" at the end of some of the episodes. Since then I have been wanting to see that series. I always liked McGiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks