Warner Archive In 2017. Take A Shot!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I'll go with

1) Many Happy Returns
    2) The Little People
    3) Mr. Novak
    4) Adam's Rib
    5) Assignment: Vienna

phenri, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  2. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Neil, you and Frank, hold Many Happy Returns in such high esteem. What was it about that show that was so special?
    Just asking.

James

3. 83 Apr 23, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017 at 9:39 PM
    Flashgear

Flashgear Supporting Actor

Randall
    James, not to answer for Neil Brock or Frank, but I can give you my 2 cents about Many Happy Returns...it was a single season 1964 to '65 sitcom...John McGiver played the complaints and returns manager for a big city department store "Krockmeyer's"...his corner of hell and a comedic take on the "customer is always right" theme...I don't remember the show very well, I was 8 going on 9 when it first aired... but I do have a single episode from 16 mm film in my collection to judge it by, which was funny...McGiver was a very good character actor that turned in many memorable appearances in a lot of TV shows like Twilight Zone ("Sounds and Silences") and Mr. Terrific for instance...among his films, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Manchurian Candidate...here he is in a publicity photo for Many Happy Returns with co-star Elena Verdugo...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elinor Donahue (Andy Griffith Show) and Mark Goddard (Lost in Space) costarred as McGiver's daughter and son in law...

[​IMG]

Darby67 and Randy Korstick like this.
  4. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Thanks Flashgear.

James

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Lol!!! Justin Addison, the weather man on The Beverly Hillbillies, who argued with Granny over Cecil the Weather Beetle!

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

My two reasons:

1 - The episodes have always been scarce as the show has never re-aired anywhere in the taping era and 16mm prints are hard to find. I believe I have around 3 in my collection after almost 40 years. Not only that, but unlike many other rare shows, which are plentiful in archives like UCLA and Library of Congress, no episodes reside at either nor at Paley.

2 - I watched the show regularly when it was on and I was 7 years old. Doesn't mean that it was a good show, as I learned when I got to see other short-run sitcoms that I liked at that age, but I would still like to see more episodes.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.