What's new

Warner Archive In 2017. Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
P.S. there was a list of all the tv shows WB Archives owned that somebody made up a few years ago. Does anybody else remember where that thread was located?

---James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well. We got Paradise season 1, Xiaolin Showdown season 3 (now completed), and from Hanna Barbara, The Monchhichis (the complete series). Hmm. Wasn't expecting that one for a HB release.

--james

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Considering it's the 50th Anniversary of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS....I'd love to see a new scan (it'd also be nice to have both versions of the film included)...I'd also love to see Lewis Gilbert's production of THE ADVENTURERS (1970) - I realize that was with MGM, but I believe Warner last distributed the film via their "Archives" line on DVD

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Another month with absolutely no TV releases of interest to me from the Archive. This is shaping up to be the bleakest year yet from WAC with regard to their TV line. At least they're saving me money I can spend elsewhere. (Kino, CBS/Paramount and ClassicFlix have some interesting TV releases in the works.) Hopefully things will improve with WAC later in the year, but I'm growing cynical in my expectations.

Also, I've never heard of a Warner (or MGM) TV series called The Fearless Vampire Killers or The Adventurers. Or was that post not intended for this "TV on DVD" section of the forum?

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Someone asked WAC a question on FB not long ago about whether WAC would ever consider releasing any "nearly complete" season or series DVD sets of much requested Warner and MGM '50s and '60s shows...he specifically referenced Mr. Novak and Cain's Hundred...both shows apparently held up by music rights clearances for a few, or even a single episode (as far as we know)...for Mr. Novak, Broadway show tunes incorporated into the silly second season two parter "Faculty Follies"...in and of itself a thematic departure out of character from what was a Great Contemporary Drama series...so, much like myself and others, he would gladly dispense with having it included IF that was all that was holding up the release of Mr. Novak...at least get season 1 out there...for me the Dean Jagger first season is the most desirable...Burgess Meredith came in for the second season...for the single season of Cain's Hundred, apparently the complication resides in music clearances for Dorothy Dandridge's performances in the episode "Blues for a Junkman"...personally, I think there has to be more rights in contention then just these that are known about...research is sometimes an involved and slow process in clearances...and despite Warner being a multi Billion dollar company, I'm sure that the WAC division has to maintain itself within a budget allocation regardless...and, they have really ramped up their output of beautifully restored and remastered classic films on Blu-ray...so, you wonder about competing priorities...

Anyway, the WAC rep responded to the question about possible "select" and "nearly complete" collections to the effect that "we would never say never, but we haven't given up on securing the needed clearances"...A lot of us have also stopped asking about the WB Detective shows...a perennial disappointment...and about edited or music substitutions if absolutely necessary...still, for the time being, maybe no news is the best news...they might yet surprise us...

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
If that were the case, Flashpoint, I would release "A Best of Volume" or Half Season until the issues holding up the particular episodes were cleared. That way the fans would get something to whet their appetites as opposed to getting nothing. It would also indicate to the studios if there was legitimate interest in the television program.

James

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Anyway, the WAC rep responded to the question about possible "select" and "nearly complete" collections to the effect that "we would never say never, but we haven't given up on securing the needed clearances"

I'm glad that so far WAC hasn't completely given up on their shows with difficult music clearances. You just know they would do anything and everything to clear music on their films. Releasing some paltry "best of" sets would be sending a clear message - "Sorry, we gave up. But this should be good enough for ya. Take it and shut up." Now obviously their priority is the film releases and that's where most of their budget will go. But it's good to see they're willing to keep trying to get these sets right. I believe that once they start issuing sets without episodes of a given series, they're done with it and moving on to the next thing. I'd rather they keep making the effort. Note: I do think incomplete season sets or not-so-complete series sets are unavoidable and better than nothing in cases where episodes are apparently lost or destroyed (such as with 50s series The Goldbergs or early episodes of The Avengers). But when it's just music related and they are still trying, even if the process is a slow one, I don't want to encourage them to settle for best-ofs. (Worst case scenario, edit out certain music. As unfortunate as it is that the WKRP set has missing/replaced music in certain episodes, I would hate for the episodes with edits to be missing altogether. Plus they managed to get much of the music cleared. The main thing is, I'd settle for an edited episode over a missing episode, though neither is ideal.)

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Last year, it was mentioned that Colt 45, the Alaskans, the Guns of Paradise, and Hondo were in the works. A few weeks ago, in the WB Archives Facebook page it was stated that there was nothing new to report on Colt 45 so I'm assuming it was moved back bit. Since Guns of Paradise was announced, I'm going to guess that Hondo might make it out soon.

That's guessing. Mind you.

James

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes I suspect we will get season 1 of Colt .45 at the end of this year. 2 years ago we thought the Alaskans was coming soon but last year WA did mention that the Alaskans has major music clearance issues just like the detective shows. So I don't think we will see this one for a very long time. I can't see resources being spent to clear it over 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. And we still have no idea when those 2 shows are coming.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
We are in a dry spell for classic TV and HB releases but remember WA has their feet in so many different doors from classic movies on DVD, TV shows new and old, Classic and newer HB and other animation and classic films on blu ray. In the past they have always had different surges in one area like a bunch of HB over a few months or a bunch of classic TV over a few months and when this happens other product lines slow down for awhile. If you look at WA releases since Last November they have greatly increased their classic film on blu ray output to 4-6 titles a month. I believe this is directly connected to the slow down in HB and classic TV. They only have so many resources. So as they state themselves there is more HB and classic TV on the way its just coming slower because they are now using a lot of resources for Blu-Ray releases. Also most of their remaining TV shows have music clearance issues which are very time consuming and I think they want to avoid another situation like Alice where they start releasing a show and then have to stall it for a very long time because of clearance issues. So we never know when one of those long awaited TV shows will suddenly be announced.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I wonder if some of their short-lived 80s shows like Private Benjamin, A Man Called Hawk, Goodnight Beantown and Love Sidney might have any sort of music issues. While I don't recall anything outstanding (been years/decades since I've seen any of them), those could be shows where there's just that one moment of a song in one episode that could hold things up, or background music in the case of Hawk.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Let's add my vote again for Enos. I saw a couple of episodes are available on YouTube and I'm viewing one right now. It would be nice to see it again!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Considering it's the 50th Anniversary of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS....I'd love to see a new scan (it'd also be nice to have both versions of the film included)...I'd also love to see Lewis Gilbert's production of THE ADVENTURERS (1970) - I realize that was with MGM, but I believe Warner last distributed the film via their "Archives" line on DVD

This forum is for TV show discussion, not theatrical films.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that Connie or Dorothy or whoever belting out a number in a speakeasy or night club was ever integral to the storyline but more just a way to kill 3 minutes of show time. So its not like the episodes would be hurt by their absence. Just my opinion.

The Faculty Follies 2-parter of Mr. Novak I viewed a few years ago and its as bad as one would imagine. For some reason, in the early years of TV, they always felt like they just couldn't resist doing these dreadful "let's put on a show" episodes, to show what wonderful all around performers they were and to showcase their singing and dancing talents. The worst example of this would be the abysmal Honeymooners musical variety episodes.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Has anyone heard of a sixties partial season series "It's A Man's World"? I remember loving this forward thinking series when it aired, but I have heard nothing about it since it was cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks