What's new

Warner Archive In 2017. Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
My guesses for June

Symbiotic Titan season 1
Hanging with Mr Cooper season 2 (or 3)
Temple Houston
What I like about you season 3
New Adventures of Tarzan (seasons 2and 3)
James

Looks like I got 0 for 4. The correct guesses were:
Jamie Fox season 3
Hondo
Ozzie and Drix season 1
Newsreaders season 2

Hmm. What shall my July guesses be?

James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
WIth the passing of Roger Moore, I hope Warner makes an extra effort to finally get "The Alaskans" to DVD.

Bummer News! :( I'll be watching an episode of The Saint as well as one of the James Bond Movies he starred in, my latest "Tribute to a Fallen Star" Sir Roger Moore.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
My guesses for July. Since July is the month of Comic Con in San Diego, and I'm betting WB Archives will have some more cartoons or science fiction series to show off, I'm going to make the following guesses:

Invasion America a limited animated science fiction series featuring the voice of Leonard Nimoy
Galaxy Goof Ups
Jayna of the Jungle
Hanging with Mr. Cooper season 3
Guns of Paradise season 2
The Eleventh Hour season 2

Any takers?

James

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My guesses for July. Since July is the month of Comic Con in San Diego, and I'm betting WB Archives will have some more cartoons or science fiction series to show off, I'm going to make the following guesses:

Invasion America a limited animated science fiction series featuring the voice of Leonard Nimoy
Galaxy Goof Ups
Jayna of the Jungle
Hanging with Mr. Cooper season 3
Guns of Paradise season 2
The Eleventh Hour season 2

Any takers?

James

Galaxy Goof Ups is part of Yogi's Space Race 90 minute show. They plan to release the complete show and apparently have been working on clearance issues for the past year so we could see Yogi's Space Race later this year. Its at the top of my want list.

galipolis

Grip
Real Name
Klaus Dietrichs
Hello,
today I got my HONDO Complete Series DVD Set starring Ralph Taeger
from Warner Archive.
My discs are burned DVD-R and not factory-pressed (manufactured) discs.
Can someone confirm this too who has also already received the DVD Set from Warner Archive ?
Read you soon on this.
Kind regards, Klaus.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hello,
today I got my HONDO Complete Series DVD Set starring Ralph Taeger
from Warner Archive.
My discs are burned DVD-R and not factory-pressed (manufactured) discs.
Can someone confirm this too who has also already received the DVD Set from Warner Archive ?
Read you soon on this.
Kind regards, Klaus.
Did you get them directly from WA or Amazon? Amazon has burned discs 95% of the time for any WA title released pressed because Amazon has their own pressing facility. Since late 2011 all TV shows from WA that have multiple seasons have been on pressed discs. For single season shows it seems to be around 50/50 pressed and burned so it wouldn't surprise me if it is burned. I haven't received my copy yet but will be getting this soon. Personally it doesn't matter to me which format it is since the quality is the same. I have never had a WA DVD-R disc go bad but I have had a few single sided pressed discs go bad.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I received my Hondo DVD's today also. They were ordered direct from Warner Archive and were also burned discs as well.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Did you get them directly from WA or Amazon? Amazon has burned discs 95% of the time for any WA title released pressed because Amazon has their own pressing facility. Since late 2011 all TV shows from WA that have multiple seasons have been on pressed discs. For single season shows it seems to be around 50/50 pressed and burned so it wouldn't surprise me if it is burned. I haven't received my copy yet but will be getting this soon. Personally it doesn't matter to me which format it is since the quality is the same. I have never had a WA DVD-R disc go bad but I have had a few single sided pressed discs go bad.

My copy of Paradise (Guns Of Paradise) was on DVD-R. I purchased it from WAC directly. This was season 1 of 3.

Apparently, in the item description there will be a statement whether it is on pressed discs

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
WBSHOP has never been consistent with those "initial quantities will be replicated" statements. SAM BENEDICT is pressed and it does not have that statement in the product description.

I would have thought HONDO would have been pressed because of the based on a John Wayne movie connection, and it is better known than Sam Benedict.

I was thinking that some of these DVD-R series releases may have been prepared years ago as DVD-R releases and held up for various reasons until now. So it is too much trouble to redo them in their budget as DVDs.

Maybe what gets a DVD or DVD-R release is just a whim of whoever is in charge at any given time.

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
I ordered Seasons 1 and 2 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father directly from Warner Archive back in December 2012.
Unfortunately, Warner Archive sent me DVD-R copies of Seasons 1 and 2.
Not surprisingly, there was a defective disc in both of those sets.
I got so angry and then I threw both of those DVD-R sets into the trash can with such force.
I made a promise right then and there to never buy any of Warner Archive's releases again.
From now on, I won't have anything to do with Warner Archive. They are so untrustworthy and very irritating.
I thought that I was ordering factory pressed copies of Seasons 1 and 2 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father,
but, I was completely tricked by the fans of Warner Archive who stated that Warner Archive didn't sell any DVD-R sets on WBShop of any TV Series that lasted for more than one season.
I have absolutely nothing good to say about DVD-R's because there isn't anything good about DVD-R's.
DVD-R's have way too high of a defect rate and non-defective DVD-R's likely won't have a very long life span.
From what I've heard, single-sided factory pressed discs last many decades longer than burned discs do.
I'm convinced that single-sided factory pressed discs are far superior than burned discs.
Warner Archive obviously thinks that DVD-R's are every bit as good as single-sided factory pressed discs.
Warner Archive's opinion is completely wrong.
I won't ever be buying any DVD-R releases again. Two times was more than enough for me.

Shout! Factory, Timeless Media Group and MPI Home Video are easily my favorite TV Show on DVD distributors.
I guarantee that Shout! Factory, Timeless Media Group and MPI Home Video would all agree that single-sided factory pressed discs are far superior than burned discs since those three TV Show on DVD distributors have refused to issue any DVD-R sets.

Yes, I'm aware that Mill Creek Entertainment and VEI are two other TV Show on DVD distributors that have refused to issue any DVD-R sets, but, I'm not a fan of either of those two companies for the following three reasons.
(1) Mill Creek Entertainment and VEI have both had such an enormous amount of disc quality control issues.
(2) Mill Creek Entertainment and VEI usually put too many one-hour episodes onto a single DVD disc.
(3) Mill Creek Entertainment always uses such atrocious packaging for their TV Show on DVD/Blu-Ray releases and VEI sometimes uses such horrendous packaging for their TV Show on DVD releases too.

One last thing, Warner Archive charges way too much money for their DVD-R releases.
Warner Archive charges through the roof for discs that aren't of a high quality.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Season 1 of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" was a DVD-R release from the beginning because it was released before WA started doing limited runs of pressed disks. Season 2 started out pressed but must have eventually went DVD-R when the initial run of pressed disks ran out. I have both of them, first season DVD-R and second season pressed. I have many WA releases, the early ones DVD-R's and almost all the latter one's pressed, as I tend to order early in the run if it is a title I want. While I agree WA prices are higher than average and don't have the type of discounts as other titles get, they are quality releases.

However, I can't agree about the quality of the disks. I've only had one bad WA DVD-R disk and that was one of the Tarzan movies and they replaced it with no questions asked. I've had a few DOA pressed disks over the years as well, it happens and isn't limited to DVD-R's. As along as they get replaced I don't worry about it. It is too bad you threw those sets away and didn't even give WA a chance to replace them, you've missed out on a fine show. The success of the WA program with respect to DVD-R's is evidence enough to dispute your claims about the quality of WA DVD-R's. Early in the program I spoke out against the MOD program and the prices being charged. However, over time I changed my stance and gave them a chance. I'm glad I did since I've enjoyed so many WA releases over the past few years that I otherwise would have missed.

While i don't expect to change your opinion, I just want to go on record as one of many with many WA titles, both DVD-R and pressed, that is 100% satisfied with the program and happy it exists because of the many titles that otherwise never would have been released.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
HonkyTonkMan has complained over and over again about DVD-R discs. He can refuse to purchase them, but he may miss out on some excellent TV shows on the process. I guess he will have to stick to Shout! Factory purchases, and they mostly use the elements that are given to them as is by other studios. They remastered The Defenders, then promptly stalled it.

I have never had an issue with DVD-R discs, and I don't have a problem buying them. To each his own, I guess.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
HonkyTonkMan has complained over and over again about DVD-R discs. He can refuse to purchase them, but he may miss out on some excellent TV shows on the process. I guess he will have to stick to Shout! Factory purchases, and they mostly use the elements that are given to them as is by other studios. They remastered The Defenders, then promptly stalled it.

I have never had an issue with DVD-R discs, and I don't have a problem buying them. To each his own, I guess.

And on the rare occasion that you receive a bad disc you just contact them and you will receive a replacement. No problem at all. Throwing away 2 sets due to 1 bad disc in each and not getting a replacement is beyond silly but as you said to each his own. I have over 400 WA DVD-R including sets and I have received 3-4 bad discs that were quickly replaced. Never had one go bad and a lot of them are 7-8 years old now. The playback quality is identical as a file is a file. Its no longer a question of will studio made DVD-R will last as long as pressed discs. Its now a fact. There are plenty of threads with people reporting pressed single sided discs that have gone bad. The discs are anywhere between 6-12 years old. But no disc will last forever.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I just wanted to confirm that I received the Hondo DVD set from Warner Archive, and the discs are DVD-R, which doesn't bother me.

I'm just glad to finally have it. I watched it on Get TV back when I had access to that network, and really enjoyed it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have a question about WAC DVD-Rs.

I have several that I purchased via WB Shop.

My question is about discs from another retailer (such as Amazon). What is the process if a disc is defective? Also, is there any difference in the discs themselves - cover art, disc art, menus?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have a question about WAC DVD-Rs.

I have several that I purchased via WB Shop.

My question is about discs from another retailer (such as Amazon). What is the process if a disc is defective? Also, is there any difference in the discs themselves - cover art, disc art, menus?

As far as I know if you purchased it from Warner Archives their policy of replacing a WA disc if it goes defective at anytime has not changed. I am pretty sure that does not extend to an Amazon disc though. They manufacture their own discs so any returns purchased from Amazon would most likely have to be done through them.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I ordered Seasons 1 and 2 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father directly from Warner Archive back in December 2012.
Unfortunately, Warner Archive sent me DVD-R copies of Seasons 1 and 2.
Not surprisingly, there was a defective disc in both of those sets.
I got so angry and then I threw both of those DVD-R sets into the trash can with such force.
I made a promise right then and there to never buy any of Warner Archive's releases again.
From now on, I won't have anything to do with Warner Archive. They are so untrustworthy and very irritating.
I thought that I was ordering factory pressed copies of Seasons 1 and 2 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father,
but, I was completely tricked by the fans of Warner Archive who stated that Warner Archive didn't sell any DVD-R sets on WBShop of any TV Series that lasted for more than one season.
I have absolutely nothing good to say about DVD-R's because there isn't anything good about DVD-R's.
DVD-R's have way too high of a defect rate and non-defective DVD-R's likely won't have a very long life span.
From what I've heard, single-sided factory pressed discs last many decades longer than burned discs do.
I'm convinced that single-sided factory pressed discs are far superior than burned discs.
Warner Archive obviously thinks that DVD-R's are every bit as good as single-sided factory pressed discs.
Warner Archive's opinion is completely wrong.
I won't ever be buying any DVD-R releases again. Two times was more than enough for me.

Sounds like Honky Tonk Man has bigger issues than pressed discs, IMO.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Received my Hondo set a few days ago, having pre-ordered from Deep Discount. It was actually dispatched a week before official release date, but as I live in the UK took a while to get here.

It is a burnt disc, usually I find if you pre-order WA titles you get a pressed copy so perhaps they didn't actually press any of this set.

I have no problems with it being burnt, have a lot of WA titles in my collection, both burnt and pressed and have not encountered any issues with either format.

I'm baffled as to why the earlier posted did not just return his faulty discs to Warner, they do guarantee to replace any dodgy discs.As for the other companies he quotes I've several instances of faulty discs from Timeless even though they are pressed.

I also don't believe that burnt discs will only last a couple of years, In my experience I have old homemade discs I recorded myself , as well as many from other sources, some done over 10 years ago and still play fine. Also have a lot of old VHS tapes from the 80's and none of them have deteriorated. I think if you use decent equipment and good quality discs you shouldn't have any problems.

My only gripe with WA is the slow pace of releasing their classic archive series.Pleased to get Hondo and am still hopeful of Colt .45 and Temple Houston. I think for the former they would have to go back to the original masters, whilst Houston is very rare even in collectors circles.

I'm afraid I've given up on the detective shows as it his several years since they were first mooted and it is just not going to happen. I would dearly like to see the Alaskans & Roaring 20's but never likely to happen due to Dorothy Provine's musical numbers.We are also coming to the end of the DVD era. Most classic releases have dried up and we may never see these great old shows.Sad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks