What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: Looney Tunes Collectors Choice Volume 1 (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
I think if Warner ever did chronological sets they would need to limit them to the 1940's and 1950's. I don't think there would be much interest in the Harman-Ising produced cartoons nor in the characters of Foxy, Bosko, Buddy, Bunny and Clyde, and the Speedy and Daffy cartoons. The Censored Eleven would also have to be excluded as Warner just will not release them.

It would be nice if Warner Bros released a blu ray of the Porky Pig 100 that the archive released as a DVD or a set of early 1940's B&W Looney Tunes before they went color .

View attachment 184095
I'd love to see some of the early and later years shorts be sprinkled in future collections. Goopy Gear's shorts in particular would be nice to see.

Regardless, it's just nice to see more of the cartoon library get released. Hopefully many Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies are next!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's encouraging to hear. Nice.

It would be just as well. If they can't take criticism, then maybe they shouldn't be putting out discs.
I’m not understanding what comes across as personal anger. Who is “they” in this case?

There are probably half a dozen different departments involved in any disc release, and possibly 50 people.

I personally stand behind my work, sign it, and generally control it from beginning to end. Occasionally a studio rep will intervene, but one person leads a team.

That’s not the case here, especially with Covid and financial restraints.

And as far as HTF reviewers are concerned, I’ve found reviews to be honest and factual. There are no un-boxing videos here, during which the quality of the plastic wrapper is the highlight.

I can tell you, from a personal perspective, that when I’m giving extremely low grades, I don’t blind-side. In many cases I let the reps know in advance what’s going on line.

And one of my earliest experiences in that situation was with WB. And I was thanked, because changes could be made.

And were.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And they fixed the issue with later releases which included *both* a WS and Academy AR on the discs to let the purchaser decide which they would rather watch. I'm perfectly OK with them doing that for any short that appeared theatrically in any WS AR and was marketed to TV in an open matte 4:3 AR for broadcast.

The issue with those shorts Warner claimed were originally for WS theatrical presentation and put on disc in a 1:85 AR is there were more than a few cropping issues, some of which included signs or on-screen text that played directly into the action and supported a gag, which pretty much screamed those affected shorts were created with 4:3 in mind even if they were shown in WS in the theater.
The cropping issues on these cartoons and most previously released cartoons and animated movies like the Peanuts films is that they are using older probably 90's masters that are in 1.33 and not 1.37 which means they are already zoomed in slightly and missing a little information on all 4 sides. So if you apply widescreen mats to that of course it looks too tight at times. If they did new masters from the original 1.37 there would be additional information that was trimmed on all 4 sides. If its transferred at 1.85 there is plenty of headroom and nothing important will be cropped plus we would be getting some additional information on the sides. But unfortunately most studios don't seem to think this extra expense is worth it for these old animated films so we keep getting the old 1.33 masters that they remaster to improve.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
1684535922364.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Warner Archive has already released 3 volumes of Tex Avery cartoons.

I am looking forward to the day when his early Warner Bros. title, "Of Fox and Hounds," which features a dog fashioned after Lenny in the 1939 OF MICE AND MEN, and a rabbit that was a precursor to Bugs Bunny, is restored and included in a future set. I grew up on this cartoon being shown on t.v. regularly in the 60's.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
You can buy a set and even like a set while still acknowledging serious problems with the set.

Dismissing any and call critics as crazy doesn't result in studios learning from their mistakes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can buy a set and even like a set while still acknowledging serious problems with the set.

Dismissing any and call critics as crazy doesn't result in studios learning from their mistakes.
Where are such posts on this forum? If there isn't any, then stop bringing outside noise to this forum.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Maybe it would. We'd get some insight as to why animation releases are so cursed and live-action releases aren't.

I guess it doesn't matter saying anything here. The review will be "5/5. Never Looked Better. Highly Recommended".
Not meaning to sound snarky, but the answer is in your question. And I don't believe Animated releases are cursed just occasionally catch a bad break. I had the fortune to visit Disney Studios where they were doing their last hand drawn feature. If you knew all the work that goes into a single Cel, then they need to worry about Cel dust, All the things that go into filming whatever is animated. And once its filmed that's what you have to work with, warts and all.

So let's kick the can down the road, half a century or more and work with what was filmed from hand drawn images, the human body had depth and curved even if not in 3D. Fabric has texture,... Unlike a flat drawn image, so in the restoration process great care has to be taken, what if the algorithms used goes to far and removes lines, that are clearly used to define something.

Then there is fixing edits, are you looking to see Blue Ribbon reissue title cards, most would not. I do not presume that these were pristine to begin with, in the last 60 years there has always bee some form of MM/LT always running in some form on TV, i would expect some of these were a little more than worn a bit.

People will make their own judgments anyway, if it's more positive than negative i will make my purchase accordingly, but going into it with my eyes wide open.

and including an occasional Harmon-Ising short would not be a bad thing IMO.

ThadK

Second Unit

I can't answer for sure about the out-of-focus ten seconds on Beanstalk Bunny. It could be actual element damage, it could be how the film was shot. I'm leaning towards the latter as I just pulled my old IB Tech and that shift is there, albeit not as pronounced as a scan off of a SEN. The detail of these transfers is so astonishing that in this cartoon in particular you can see how much the glass was smudging (particularly in the first minutes).

I can answer that what you see in Daffy Doodles is exactly how the film was made: it's like that in every previous home video release, every 35mm or 16mm print. Bad digital clean-up has rightfully put all of us on edge, but this is a case of the platter cracking the cel paint or a sloppy ink job day one. (Jerky Turkey on the last Avery blu-ray similarly sparked complaints because the Durante turkey's hair kept disappearing, but checking the old copies and film prints showed that too was a day one issue.)

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not meaning to sound snarky, but the answer is in your question. And I don't believe Animated releases are cursed just occasionally catch a bad break. I had the fortune to visit Disney Studios where they were doing their last hand drawn feature. If you knew all the work that goes into a single Cel, then they need to worry about Cel dust, All the things that go into filming whatever is animated. And once its filmed that's what you have to work with, warts and all.

So let's kick the can down the road, half a century or more and work with what was filmed from hand drawn images, the human body had depth and curved even if not in 3D. Fabric has texture,... Unlike a flat drawn image, so in the restoration process great care has to be taken, what if the algorithms used goes to far and removes lines, that are clearly used to define something.

Then there is fixing edits, are you looking to see Blue Ribbon reissue title cards, most would not. I do not presume that these were pristine to begin with, in the last 60 years there has always bee some form of MM/LT always running in some form on TV, i would expect some of these were a little more than worn a bit.

People will make their own judgments anyway, if it's more positive than negative i will make my purchase accordingly, but going into it with my eyes wide open.

and including an occasional Harmon-Ising short would not be a ba
I can't answer for sure about the out-of-focus ten seconds on Beanstalk Bunny. It could be actual element damage, it could be how the film was shot. I'm leaning towards the latter as I just pulled my old IB Tech and that shift is there, albeit not as pronounced as a scan off of a SEN. The detail of these transfers is so astonishing that in this cartoon in particular you can see how much the glass was smudging (particularly in the first minutes).

I can answer that what you see in Daffy Doodles is exactly how the film was made: it's like that in every previous home video release, every 35mm or 16mm print. Bad digital clean-up has rightfully put all of us on edge, but this is a case of the platter cracking the cel paint or a sloppy ink job day one. (Jerky Turkey on the last Avery blu-ray similarly sparked complaints because the Durante turkey's hair kept disappearing, but checking the old copies and film prints showed that too was a day one issue.)
Informed opinions are not only welcome, but an on-line rarity!

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Notice how in the podcast they don't say anything about using HBO max copies from off the shelf.

IT was a dirty little secret that had to be kept hidden.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Notice how in the podcast they don't say anything about using HBO max copies from off the shelf.

IT was a dirty little secret that had to be kept hidden.
Then don’t buy it!

For those interested in listening to the entire podcast:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks