What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: Looney Tunes Collector's Choice Volume 2 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
O-Rings - aka Slipcovers:
I don't throw them away but I don't understand why they're used or desired. I've yet to see one that's not identical to the artwork on the case so why bother? If they offered alternate art and/or some additional information I could possibly see some minor benefit but exactly the same feels like a waste. If there are ~10 of them on the shelf they take up the space of another disc while offering nothing in return.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I really don't care if the prices for these LT sets go up or come down. I order them when first available as I want to support these releases to the best of my financial ability. I can save money elsewhere by waiting for sales or the inevitable price reductions.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I don't throw them away but I don't understand why they're used or desired. I've yet to see one that's not identical to the artwork on the case so why bother? If they offered alternate art and/or some additional information I could possibly see some minor benefit but exactly the same feels like a waste. If there are ~10 of them on the shelf they take up the space of another disc while offering nothing in return.
Rosemary’s Baby, available for pre-order now

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpeg
    IMG_4348.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 32

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I never understand the interest in slipcovers. I always throw mine away as soon as I open them.
And then there’s the concept of a paper dust jacket for a hard cover book. Go figure. I don’t know of anyone who throws those out. Besides, it’s not the front of the hard cover that needs protection from dust; as books are usually on a shelf standing and pressed between other books; but rather, it’s the actual pages on the top portions of the books that need shielding. This is the section of the book that gathers the most dust on a shelf. So, in the end, the dust jacket does not offer any defense for this vulnerable area, and in the spring a vacuum cleaner is usually required.

Ah, if only each and every one of my books could be housed within a BD dust-free jewel case. 🤔

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The dust jacket on a book is all about marketing and presentation for sales in a store. It provides information about the book that's presented nowhere else with the main thing being a synopsis and possibly a blurb about the writer. The MSRP/UPC is also on the dust jacket. Under the dust jacket, most books are rather plain with nothing but the title on the spine. Sure there are some with fancy boards but they're more the exception.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The dust jacket on a book is all about marketing and presentation for sales in a store. It provides information about the book that's presented nowhere else with the main thing being a synopsis and possibly a blurb about the writer. The MSRP/UPC is also on the dust jacket. Under the dust jacket, most books are rather plain with nothing but the title on the spine. Sure there are some with fancy boards but they're more the exception.
Mine was but a bit of “Looney” pre-coffee pre-sunrise whimsies and takes. Nonetheless, BobO ‘Link’s perspectives are excellent counter-points and decisively true. Nice job, Bob.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

True enough, but then there's no reason why all of the information about the book can't be presented on the book itself, just as it's done on paperbacks (or on children's hardcover books). It's simply the way that book presentations have evolved over the last couple of centuries.

The way I see it, the proper book analog for disc slipcovers (or, as I prefer to call them, "sleeves") are slipcases for special (limited) editions. If they don't mean anything to you, that's fine, but there are other people who think they add a certain "zing" to the package. Doesn't make them right and you wrong, or you right and them wrong.

Maybe you're just getting the "wrong" ( :D ) titles. There are numerous instances in my collection where the the disc has reversible cover art. The sleeve duplicates one of those optional covers, and I usually pick whichever cover is not on the sleeve, to avoid the duplication.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let's get back on track here. I still want the Looney Tunes DVDs and Blu-Rays to keep on coming, which is why I locked in my pre-order. This volume has some 1930s stuff on it!
Yes, all sidebars aside, I am unequivocally all in for each and every Volume they can throw at us. My support is in full throttle and is inclusive of the Tex Avery Screwball Collectors Choice series, as well.

Thank You WAC!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

If you ever wish to resell it (unlikely), this sort of shit matters to potential buyers.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you ever wish to resell it (unlikely), this sort of shit matters to potential buyers.
It's the only reason I keep them - and any stickers, etc. on the packaging as well as all inserts. But, like you've said, the odds of *me* reselling any of them is slim to none.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's the only reason I keep them - and any stickers, etc. on the packaging as well as all inserts. But, like you've said, the odds of *me* reselling any of them is slim to none.

I always keep all of the inserts, even when they're just advertisements for other crap. There was one time I was trading a bunch of things into Bull Moose, and the employee checking them expressed amazement that all of that stuff was in there, as well as that the discs and packaging were in such good condition.

Last edited:

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
Let's get back on track here. I still want the Looney Tunes DVDs and Blu-Rays to keep on coming, which is why I locked in my pre-order. This volume has some 1930s stuff on it!
I'm really excited about the selection of shorts they chose! I especially love that they're giving obscure characters a chance to shine, including shorts from the 30's! My hope is that the various Goopy Gear shorts can make it on volume 3!

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I'm really excited about the selection of shorts they chose! I especially love that they're giving obscure characters a chance to shine, including shorts from the 30's! My hope is that the various Goopy Gear shorts can make it on volume 3!
I’d love a whole volume being devoted to black and white shorts. I really want The Shanty Where Santy Clause Lives and some proper restoration for those shorts included on Porky 101 (The Blow Out in particular).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks