What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: Looney Tunes Collector's Choice Volume 2 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe dust jackets for books go back to the 1830s, and many contained advertising for the publishers other books.

There was a period (18th century?) during which books would be sol by the publisher as raw printed sheets, which the owner could have bound as desired. If memory serves, Fielding’s Tom Jones was sold in that manner in 1749. Initially, 2,000 copies were printed, which sold out immediately and were followed by another 1,500.

If you check for firsts today, every example will be bound differently - each a small six volume set.

The modern dust jacket seems to have hit an artistic zenith with The Great Gatsby, for which the first edition jacket is more highly valued than the book within.

One might presume that this is the basis for thinking toward steelbooks and investment grade slips on home video products.

”I make over $200 an hour selling used Blu-ray slipcovers on eBay!”

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I’m all done, this is a truly excellent release. It’s a shame there was issues with The Eager Beaver and The Wacky Worm but neither issue stopped me from enjoying the short. This has a really good mix of shorts, and having them in alphabetical order worked really well. There was a slight lack of star characters but the quality of what was here was so great I didn’t really notice. However, for future releases I’d like an increase of Daffy and Sylvester and Tweety shorts as these feel like they’ve been slightly neglected so far. I’d also like to see more early black and white shorts.

In terms of increasing the number of shorts which have already been on disc but not remastered in HD, I’m happy for this to practice to continue as it’ll increase the number of releases which can include Bugs. It’ll also increase the number of B&W Porky’s meaning more Tex Avery, Frank Tashlin and Bob Clampett. Never a bad thing! Those shorts which were included in widescreen on the early Superstars sets would good to include in their original 4:3 too.

I’d be interested to know what they plan to do with the shorts remastered on the Platinum Collections. It looks like all three are OOP now so I wonder if WAC will do a simple reissue of them or if the shorts from those sets will be included in future volumes of Collectors Choice?

My hopes for the next few volumes would be: Hyde and Go Tweet, Along Came Daffy, The Shanty Where Santy Claus Lives, The Blow Out, Fresh Hare and Don’t Look Now.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
With Ghost Wanted now released on Blu-Ray, I am wondering now if they will re-re-do A Wild Hare (also 1940) since we now have a cartoon restored with the correct opening shield? They did try to restore the original opening title for that one years before, but it used the opening from A Gander at Mother Goose instead, which had the older W-B shield dating back to You're an Education (1938).

A Wild Hare is the last 1940 cartoon to have the improper "MCMXXXX" Roman numeral; the others with this copyright AND the slimmer W-B letters in the shield were Circus Today, Little Blabbermouse and The Egg Collector, but all three of these have become Blue Ribbons since 1948 and 1949, respectively, which deleted both the original opening and closing titles.

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks