What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: Looney Tunes Collectors Choice Volume 1 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
“Kill the wabbit!”

Attachments

• IMG_5950.gif
    IMG_5950.gif
    205 KB · Views: 22

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Given the success of the Tex Avery releases, wish Warner Archive stuck with director based anthologies. Nice to see Arthur Davis represented. He inherited Clampett’s crew when he left Warner Bros.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Given the success of the Tex Avery releases, wish Warner Archive stuck with director based anthologies. Nice to see Arthur Davis represented. He inherited Clampett’s crew when he left Warner Bros.
Their decision to go with a selection of more broad-based appeal rather appeal to some narrower niche is much more likely to sell well (while at the same time making a mouth-watering selection for long-time collectors like me) and that's what needs to happen if we want to see more releases. I'm all for the kind of choices they've made with this first one.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Notice how in the podcast they don't say anything about using HBO max copies from off the shelf.

IT was a dirty little secret that had to be kept hidden.
just makes it more confusing. If others did those, they seem to have no problem doing a few Early Tex Avery and New far better versions of B&W stuff Is it so much trouble getting stuff from the Library of Congress for stuff before 1940 to LA, does that mean don't look for new restorations of title work for pre 1940 stuff if they ever get to it ,I think Jerry and George do try to give us stuff we don't have. I really like the way both of them really seem to do the right thing, but I wish they wouldn't round off decades as 1940s and 1950s when some stuff from the 37-40 is their best stuff Where there's plenty from the 50's that's not

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
Then don’t buy it!

For those interested in listening to the entire podcast:

What a fantastic discussion! It makes me very excited for the future! I'm also very happy to hear them mention wanting to get to the remaining Popeye and MGM cartoons!

On a side note, it's mentioned that music licensing isn't really an issue anymore. Hopefully that applies to the Hanna-barbera library! Regardless, I just love their enthusiasm to get the remainder of the cartoon library on physical media!

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I think if Warner ever did chronological sets they would need to limit them to the 1940's and 1950's. I don't think there would be much interest in the Harman-Ising produced cartoons nor in the characters of Foxy, Bosko, Buddy, Bunny and Clyde, and the Speedy and Daffy cartoons. The Censored Eleven would also have to be excluded as Warner just will not release them.

It would be nice if Warner Bros released a blu ray of the Porky Pig 100 that the archive released as a DVD or a set of early 1940's B&W Looney Tunes before they went color .

View attachment 184095
The early Daffy cartoons are pure gold! Back then he was psychotic in a fun way, before they ruined his character by making him just neurotic.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
What a fantastic discussion! It makes me very excited for the future! I'm also very happy to hear them mention wanting to get to the remaining Popeye and MGM cartoons!

We must have not listened to the same podcast, because they said those have been shoved off the table for Looney Tunes.

We won't see them for years, if ever.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
What I don't get is why WAC doesn't stagger their releases.

Do a Looney Tunes disc, and if it sells, do a Popeye disc and if that sells do a Tex Avery disc, and if that sells do a Hanna-Barbera set, and repeat. . Rotating these series out would surely be better than putting series on hold for years on end, wouldn't it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What I don't get is why WAC doesn't stagger their releases.

Do a Looney Tunes disc, and if it sells, do a Popeye disc and if that sells do a Tex Avery disc, and if that sells do a Hanna-Barbera set, and repeat. . Rotating these series out would surely be better than putting series on hold for years on end, wouldn't it?
Have you ever worked for a studio?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't see what that has to do with anything.

If all the animation sets are selling well enough to merit followups, why not stagger things?
What it has to do with, is an understanding of budgets, corporate structure and decision making, and the little nicety of element availability, access and condition.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
In a world…

Not far from Barbie’s, Dartmouth would be hosting a summer course.

And This would be the text:

I still have my copy of that first edition, intact and fully functional though showing distinct evidence of partial water-logging from the flood of 1986 (fortunately nothing like the Johnstown one).

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Got email notification from Amazon that my order has shipped. Regardless of a few imperfections, I'll just be happy to have these shorts on Blu-ray. It's a far cry from the way I first saw them, on Saturday morning television as a kid in the 1970's, with the VERY truncated "title cards".
...and the brutal editing of content by the networks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Had the opportunity to look through some of the cartoons on the new WAC Looney Tunes release.

The cartoons look terrific. The only anomalies I noticed were on BEANSTALK BUNNY when we first see Elmer Fudd as the Giant. A few seconds of that footage doesn't look great and I figure it's just the original elements at play here. Outside of that, I am very happy with the quality of this set.

I had forgotten about the Abbott and Costello mice. That brought back some memories. Was this included cartoon the only one made with those two characters or are there more?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Had the opportunity to look through some of the cartoons on the new WAC Looney Tunes release.

The cartoons look terrific. The only anomalies I noticed were on BEANSTALK BUNNY when we first see Elmer Fudd as the Giant. A few seconds of that footage doesn't look great and I figure it's just the original elements at play here. Outside of that, I am very happy with the quality of this set.

I had forgotten about the Abbott and Costello mice. That brought back some memories. Was this included cartoon the only one made with those two characters or are there more?
I think there's one more as Mice, and One were they are Cats

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks