What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: A Day At The Races (1937) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would think chances are quite good that the archive will release the remaining Marx Brothers films to Blu-ray. I base this merely on the fact that Warner put out a DVD Collector's set of all their films. I plan to support A DAY AT THE RACES to help push the other films out no matter what my personal opinion of them is.

Found this very good article about The Marx Brothers and the changes they went through from Paramount to MGM

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
MGM brought a prestige to The Marx Brothers; which, IMHO, is exactly what wasn’t needed for Minnie’s boy’s.

If it’s grooming one requires then, yes, A Day at the Races & A Night at the Opera is top tier stuff - with the finest gags and skits to match Duck Soup - but for what is a pure unadulterated biff-bam-boom Marx Brothers film, then one needs not to go further than the Paramount period.

Nonetheless, A Day at the Races & A Night at the Opera are classics through and through. A Day One purchase for me, as will also be the case with each of the remaining titles that hopefully follows.

Last edited:

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Everyone has their own Marx Brothers favorites, and that's understandable and totally legit. For me, their last two films with Universal, Horse Feathers and Duck Soup, along with their first two at MGM, A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, are their unqualified masterpieces. But I love 'em all, from the creaky The Cocoanuts to A Night in Casablanca (of their Universal and Warner-owned films) and even the last film with all three of the remaining brothers working together, Love Happy, sad as it is in many ways. I'm just that much of a fan of their work. So ANYTHING Warner Archive wants to put out of the films under their control, I'll buy without hesitation, no questions asked.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I love both eras of Marx Bros films. The Paramount films have an undeniable kinetic quality, but can sometimes feel like a series of comedy setpieces with less focus on building out rewarding story (especially the earlier ones). The MGM films have added songs and production values that make them richer, but the comedy isn't as madcap (even if individual scenes are absolutely brilliant - rivaling the best at Paramount). I watch different films depending on what mood I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks